What Exactly Is A "click" In Gps Terms?

wilddingo2

I've heard the term in WWII movies

Interesting... I wouldn't have thought the US military used the metric system back then.

Click is US and British army slang for a kilometre - in most cases (a bit less recently for the Brits), soldiers have to learn to use the metric system in a setting which "encourages" slang generally. And when you're used to the single-syllable "mile", using four for "kil-o-met-er" seems very long (and could, I suppose, conceivably be dangerous).

"klick" is becoming pretty common here in Canada for a distance measured in thousands (kilo) of metres... either speed or distance depending on context.

If it's a "click" it can also mean the smallest adjustment made to an instrument. ie: "Just one more click to the right", if I'm a adjusting an instrument that "clicks" when I turn the knob. If I was a mortarman in the Army I would not make the mistake of misunderstanding the difference between "klick" and "click".

1/2 half a "klick" out would be 500 metres. One "click" to the right would be just a teeny bit to the right.

We even abbreviate any multiple of 1000 as k ( "one kay" ) as in "That's gonna cost about 2k to get fixed".

This can be a bad thing when talking about money if we confuse the abbreviation for KILO ( k ) with the abbreviation for OKAY ( 'kay ? )

me: How much you want for that old boat?

seller: How about you give me 1k ?

me: I'll give you 50, 'kay ?

seller: OKAY! 50 thousand it is!

note: This may go a long way to understanding the problem we have with our national debt here in Canada..... DOH!!

Tomorrow we will discuss the more common term for finer adjustment called the "hair". as in "just a hair" .... small adjustment. Or the more coarse adjustment "red hair" or the little tiny adjustment you make with a screw just before the thing breaks called a "tweak".

Edited by davwil

Just throwing in some more info. Yes, we in the US Army have used the term klick to mean one kilometer. This was common when I first entered the infantry in 1976. The use of metric for distance measurement is common and is the measurement method that UTM coordinates utilize. So if you look at a northing in a UTM coordinate, it tells you how far you are from the equator, while the easting portion is a little more confusing, but is a distance based on a Gridzone centerline.

The comment by 6dogteam (1/2 half a "klick" out would be 500 metres.), appears to me to be a reference to the WORM formula (Width over Range = mils). So in the artillery or mortar worlds, the relationship between these can be used to determine the other parts of the formula. For instance, if I see a vehicle and I know that it is 8 meters front to back, I can measure the two azimuths to the ends of the vehicle and determine an angle. For instance, 4 mils. Using the WORM formula 8/4 = 2. This would mean that the vehicle is 2 km away.

For use on web pages which are written in HTML (or XHTML) the proper entity for generating a degree sign is ° or ° or °.

ASCII, basically the first character code, used 7 bits to identify each character--that gives you 128 possibilities. The degree sign was not important enough to be included in this first 128.

When 8 bits could be used for characters, this allowed 256 different characters to be represented. The most common extension made the degree symbol character 176, hence ° and °(b0 is the number 176 in base-16, or hexadecimal). This is the modern designation in UTF-8 also, which is the most current and widely accepted character encoding scheme.

The first version of DOS used 8 bits to map characters. It preserved most of the original 128 characters from ASCII, but used the second 128 differently than "extended" ASCII, and they used character 248 for the degree sign, hence some people's familiarity with Alt-248 for the degree symbol.

Bottom line--if you're using it on a web page use °--it's the easiest to remember.

Edited by GeoWorms