Geocache Mistaken For A Bomb

dorkfish

Has anyone ever heard of any specific instances where a geocache was mistaken for a bomb and the geocacher was charged? An example of charges might be littering in a public place (the geocache itself) and having to pay for the bomb squad's time?

Thanks for any help!

I don't know about that, but here is a log from a small town P.D. on a cache.

many caches have been removed by the bomb squad, i do not belive the cacher was punished. except for his "new friends" maybe not being his best friends

Actually one that I know of was arrested and fined heavily.

What was the fine for? If I recall the person who placed a cache on RR property was fined but it's been a long time.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Threatened with it? Yes, in no uncertain terms. For bomb squad, sheriff dept, state police, fire dept, ambulance, three businesses closed. Oh yeah conservation dept too, don't ask me why. And probably the bullet they shot it with.

Charged? No. Thank God.

And I was a cache finder, not a hider. I just made the unfortunate decision to go by the place again on my way home after searching for two others.

Google News Alerts just emailed me this article which offers a bit of an update about the Idaho situation earlier this fall.....

Bret

Although OT, I want to address part of the article Bret linked. Overall, it was a good article. However, the last paragraph regarding James Max Chamberlain is misleading. He did not die by falling from a cliff. He suffered a massive heart attack and passed away. It was coincidental he was next to a cliff. In fact, this past weekend, the local cache community held an event to honor his passing. See In Memory Of Mr. James Max Chamberlain.

Google News Alerts just emailed me this article which offers a bit of an update about the Idaho situation earlier this fall.

Cute drawing at the top of the article, too.

Bret

That is a good article. I'll be in touch with the officer mentioned.

The charges discussed are pretty much harrasment and should be dropped. Anybody at any time can be charged for any number of things. There are more than enough laws on the books to make any persons life miserable. That doesn't make it right or even in the public interest.

Edited by Renegade Knight