Explorist Xl

gpsjeep

If you are going to wait for the new Garmin you are going to have quite a wait. It is not on the Garmin website, form my experiance in dealing with Garmin in the past once the 60CX is listed on their web site it will another 3 or 4 months before the dealers get them. Garmin should have them listed on their web site when the winter trade shows(Outdoor retailer, Consumer electronis show, and the Shot show). These shows are in Jan and Feb.

As far as the 500 vs the XL, form what I have read the CL is a big version on the 500. If you want to use the GPS for vehicle navigation I would get the XL, the larger screen is going to be easier to read on your dash. If you want one to hike with then get the smaller explorist 500.

I have had my 500 for 9 months or so and I like, I am looking to buy the XL in the spring, I just spent my toy money in a new camera.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

The Garmin 60Cx without the sensors will be very good on Batteries, with a run time over 20 hours on a pair of batteries.

The Explorist XL is really nice, with a big Map Screen of 240x320, but this thing can be hard on batteries, at about 17 hours or so on 4 AA's.

The Explorist 500 is nice, but too small a screen for the Driver to see well, but with this GPS, you can order a few spare flat Lithium-Ion batteries cheap on E-Bay.

The Garmin 60Cx without the sensors will be very good on Batteries, with a run time over 20 hours on a pair of batteries.

The Explorist XL is really nice, with a big Map Screen of 240x320, but this thing can be hard on batteries, at about 17 hours or so on 4 AA's.

With the low cost of rechargeable batteries, is this really a concern? It may be for a few select people that spend really long periods outdoors with the unit always on and don't want to carry a large number of batteries. But for most users, it is more than enough for a full day of geocaching. Charge the batteries at night and you are good to go.

I use the XL and absolutely love the screen size over the 500. I don't care about how many batteries I have to stick in the thing, as long as they last while I'm out for the day.

I just ordered mine tonight. Anyone have any links to accessories such as carry case and windshield mount? I don't want to get the screen scratched and since theres so much more screen than on my sportrak color...

For a screen protector, recommendations are for the invisibleshield. The XL is too new for anyone I know of yet to have customized one to that size, but I think this guy will do it for you if you submit the screen size you need.

If the 500 is any forecaster of the XL accessory market, it will take some time for things to catch up. Magellan will probably get a mount of some sort out within a month or three, and you'll be best off shopping around for a case that is designed for more general use but can accommodate the XL's size.

I was just at Bass Pro to take a look at these XL's.

I haven't actually seen one up close. Only on the web.

Very impressive looking. The screen is awsome. Seeing that the size of the XL is a good bit larger than the rest of the Explorist series, I wonder if it has a larger patch antenna. Would it really matter?

Hey fishDog,

Compared to your Sport Track, how do you like or dislike the weight difference or the feel of it? It feels heavier than the Meridian I use to have.

-Jeff

I have Streets and Destinations North America V 4.00f. I want to be able to place these maps on my XL, at least till I get DR. When I save to the hard drive it saves them as a .img file. I know it needs to be a .mgi or .imi but I don't know how to convert them. Is there a patch somewhere for this version like there is for the Worldwide basemap? Any suggestions for this. Thanks.

I have Streets and Destinations North America V 4.00f. I want to be able to place these maps on my XL, at least till I get DR. When I save to the hard drive it saves them as a .img file. I know it needs to be a .mgi or .imi but I don't know how to convert them. Is there a patch somewhere for this version like there is for the Worldwide basemap? Any suggestions for this. Thanks.

There is a way to do this...but after you read it, you'll probably find the price of DR to be not quite so formidable.

My sister bought one for my BIL for X-Mas. It came here so he wouldn't see it. So of course I had to open it and take a look at it. That sucker is huge!. I put some batteries in and turned it on. Nice big ol' screen. Buttons are huge too. They are easy to push. The joystick is easy to move around in all directions. I have a ex500, so will probably not get an XL. Just want to wait and see what comes out next year before I buy another one. -WW

Anybody have pictures yet of the Explorist XL in action yet?

Here is a photo of the GPS showing the Map screen.

78019.jpg

Is it possible to show saved tracks on the screen, and to view multiple tracks on the screen also??

This is something I can do on a Garmin, but was wondering If I could do it on the Explorist XL.

Edited by GOT GPS?

The Explorist XL has a 64meg chip I believe, and I can compare this with the SporTrak TOPO, in that GPS has a 108 meg TOPO basemap, so it is possible this thing has a better basemap than a Exp 500

If you could Autoroute on the Basemap of the Explorist XL, that would be cool, and also would be cool if they made it possible to autoroute between regions on the memory card automatically.

I'm sorry, i should have been a little more specific.

Magellan's page on the XL.

Magellan's link to their manual which includes specs.

The XL has a compass page, but it is only a GPS based compass. That is, if you stand still, it won't update. It bases its direction on your last two known points.

By electronic compass, I meant a magnetic compass that is built into the device and appears electronically. :P

So no, no magnetic compass. For the price, i might have expected one. But the screen and base memory are worth it. :blink:

Damo.

Escout,

Can you confirm, by looking at the internal memory as a drive from your PC, that the basemap is actually 28 megs as advertised? I have a feeling that it's a typo, but I could be wrong.

The basemap in my 500 shows up as 8.16 megs.

Jamie

Jamie,

I just checked my XL and the basemap is 28MB.

Though it's no more detailed than the basemap on my Sportrak for my area...

wib

Escout,

Can you confirm, by looking at the internal memory as a drive from your PC, that the basemap is actually 28 megs as advertised? I have a feeling that it's a typo, but I could be wrong.

The basemap in my 500 shows up as 8.16 megs.

Jamie

Basemap on eXplorist 500, 8.17MB. Rev. 5.1.57, Feb 7 2005.