Gps Units

Dan and Taya

I have a Vista and Map60cs. The Vista is my backup and on its last leg; the 60cs is my employers. When I have turn the 60cs in, I'm getting the Legend C. I think it's the best all around GPS. The Vista C adds an electronic compass and an altimeter - nothing else, well about $60 more.

Both have same memory (24mb), color screen, 500 wypnts, and are auto-routers with the optional software. The Legend C will get better battery life (36 v. 20 hrs) due to the lack of electronic compass.

The compass needs to be calibrated whenever you change batteries and the altimeter needs to be calibrated every time you use it - and sometimes more frequently if the weather changes on you. Also the altimeter will give false readings on commercial airliners based on the cabin pressure - it'll tell you you're at 5,000 feet when the plane is really at 41,000 feet. It's more stuff to go wrong with the unit.

If you just wanna "hit it, git it and go", get the LegendC.

...Just my 2¢

I have a Vista (not the color version), I've used the compass a number of times, as far as calibrating the compass it a very quick process. I have Map Source Topo loaded on my Vista and with the latest firware update (Can be downloaded from Garmin's web site) the Vista will hold 1000 waypoints.