Caches Near Pylons

The HERB5

Groundspeak rules say the caches should not be placed near places which may be terrorist targets such as dams, airports and other government buildings but for some reason Pylons seem exempt from this. Any idea why ?

A terrorist strike on a pylon would at worst knock down the pylon and sever the cables. I would guess that National Grid can repair this sort of damage to a single pylon within hours. Even after major storms have knocked over power lines, they seem to get the supplies back up quite quickly.

Major substations on the other hand would probabaly take longer to fix, and presumably have higher security.

In most parts of the country I've lived in, everywhere is near a pylon!  And I don't seem to be able to take a decent landscape photo without one.  Maybe I should start taking photos of pylons instead.

passes Nick a copy of PhotoShop.

:mad::):D

Already got it, but it takes ages to edit out powerlines pixel by pixel!

Groundspeak rules say the caches should not be placed near places which may be terrorist targets such as dams, airports and other government buildings but for some reason Pylons seem exempt from this. Any idea why ?

Because you need to draw the line somewhere and Pylons like monuments, general building, bridges and roads for that matter must fall outside that. In many ways it is good that people are starting to respect information more and see how it can be misused, but keep an eye on reality and remember it is a compromise between safety and freedom to enjoy yourself. To be very safe should we make Geocaching illegal so we call all sleep soundly at night. I now feel the need to place a cache by a Pylon to make a point, and I know just the one!

Also Two Utilities, Perhaps? is close to a Pylon, although I have not found it yet.

Along with telegraph poles, sewers, railways, bridges, motorways etc etc etc. Everything can be a target to someone.

My advice is stay indoors. Although ROSPA do state that the majority of accidents happen in the home. :mad:

A terrorist strike on a pylon would at worst knock down the pylon and sever the cables. I would guess that National Grid can repair this sort of damage to a single pylon within hours. Even after major storms have knocked over power lines, they seem to get the supplies back up quite quickly.

Major substations on the other hand would probabaly take longer to fix, and presumably have higher security.

Yes, and because the grid is a 'grid' it's likely that another path to get supplies through could be found within a very short space of time. The pylon could then be repaired and the circuits re-switched back to normal.

Even major substations can be bypassed by feeding supplies via a different route.