Missing Numbers

JohnX

So everyone talks about the numbers and how many caches they have found. I would like to see how many people have found my caches as a number somewhere.

I have not added mine up, but how many finds do you have on your caches?

Edited by JohnX
So everyone talks about the numbers and how many caches they have found. I would like to see how many people have found my caches as a number somewhere.

I have not added mine up, but how many finds do you have on your caches?

My caches tend to be in rural areas at the end of a semi-long hike . . . so they don't get very many visits.

I've threatened to hide more urban micros just so I'll get more emails. ;)

I added one to your number yesterday, JohnX.

Ummm...166. I'm not a very prolific hider. And that includes notes I leave, too, doesn't it?

Using the 'logged visits" will include all finds, DNFs, notes, published log, and NAs that are on the page and not arhived (deleted) by the owner.

To save wear and tear on your calculator finger, try using Prime Suspect's Greasemonkey script for a quick calculation of logs on your caches.

OK, dumb question from computer- challenged senior citizen, tired of counting cache finds on her fingers. I went there and collected it. Now where do I put it and how do I make it work? (I only know which button to push some of ttime and I still think it's all done by magic)

Being bored over the weekend, I compiled the statistics for the 31 caches owned by my account and my daughter's account (and excluding one event cache). We have brought the joy of a smiley face to someone 1,481 times, or an average of 48 finds per cache, ranging from a low of four finds on our new cache hidden over the weekend, up to a high of 140 finds on a downtown micro near our city's convention center. I guess that is a reason to keep hiding caches and stick with the game, which was one reason for the exercise.

A second exercise was to see how many logs were finds vs. some other type of log. Our caches have 477 logs other than "found it," for an average of 15 per cache or nearly 25% of the total logs. One of our trickier caches has 47 DNF's and notes against only 18 finds. Now, these statistics may not be typical, depending on how many "bug drop" logs there are, whether the "average" owner leaves more or fewer maintenance notes, and how diligent the local community is about recording DNF's. But to me, that many non-smiley logs justifies breaking out the "found it" count at the top of the logs, and if this is easy to program I would like to join those who have requested it as a site enhancement. What Prime Suspect has done with his script is about what it ought to look like. But not all of us use Firefox and know how to grease a monkey. I'd rather see the functionality right on the site. When you see a summary showing 18 finds vs. 35 DNF's, this tells you that you're in for a challenge. If you see 30 finds and 3 notes or DNF's, you ought to expect a fairly easy find on a well maintained cache.

To save wear and tear on your calculator finger, try using Prime Suspect's Greasemonkey script for a quick calculation of logs on your caches.

OK, dumb question from computer- challenged senior citizen, tired of counting cache finds on her fingers. I went there and collected it. Now where do I put it and how do I make it work? (I only know which button to push some of ttime and I still think it's all done by magic)

You will need to use Firefox as your browser. Then install Greasemonkey. There is some information here.

I agree the feature described by Prime Suspect would be useful in certain circumstances.

Since the computer I'm on has neither Firefox nor greased monkeys, I had to my math the old-fashioned way. My 81 hidden caches has produced a total of 2522 smiling, happy faces ranging from zero finds on a cache that was stolen before found up to 86. That gives me an average of 31.1 warm fuzzies per cache.

Evidently I wasn't as bored as Lep, so I didn't do quite the fancy find-to-other-log ratios that he did. ;)

Its not about the numbers :huh: My caches are all long hikes, all are at least 2.5 terrain, and a couple of them are tough puzzles. My 16 caches have generated 121 found it logs, for an average of about 7.5 logs per cache. I calculated the MTBF (Mean Time Between Finds) for each of my caches and one of them is literally found less that once per year. My most recent cache has a MTBF of only 7.1111 days but thats because the first to find were a couple of geocachers that always cache together but always log their finds individually, and the second to find was a cacher that has found several of my cache but since this one was a shorter hike, he took his entire family along and each person wrote a log (at least his dog didn't log this cache as he often does ;)). The average MTBF of all my caches is 67.76 days - so I don't get an lot of Owner: emails.

Edited by tozainamboku

Wow this took some time. There are 4,423 "Found It" logs on my 134 hides. Keep in mind that these caches are largely good hikes and not drive and dumps.

I never really paid a lot of attention to the number of logs for each cache, so there were a lot of surprises. Some of what I think are my best caches have relatively few finds, but there were some fairly tough ones that had quite a few finds. My "Hiker Series" which is 8 caches over a 9 mile hike had way more finds than I realized, roughly 60 finds per cache. From the logs it looks like the majority of the finders did all of them in a single swoop, but of course the ones near the beginning and end had higher numbers.

On the other hand I was surprised by the few finds on what I feel are some really good caches that should be much more popular. For example this one is a relatively easy hike to a very scenic spot, yet it has only 8 finds in nearly a year and a half and this one only has 7 finds even though its less than a half mile from the road.

The most popular, with 121 finds was this one which is a drive up cache, so that makes sense, but right behind it was this one with 103 finds even though its a 2 mile RT hike.

Edited by briansnat
I never really paid a lot of attention to the number of logs for each cache, so there were a lot of surprises.

Brian, I was also surprised at the results of my counting. I kept notes, and next will analyze the pace of finds over the life of each cache (easier to do with a mere 30 or so caches). My most popular traditional cache is an unusual container that everyone comments on in their log. Perhaps others check it out just because of the curiosity. I have other caches involving similar half mile hikes that are more scenic, but they're just ammo boxes or lock 'n locks.

As a cache owner I found the exercise very useful. That is why it'd be nice to have the site display the totals like the greasemonkey script does. This was *almost* enough to make me overcome my "fear of new software" and try installing Firefox.

I'm not going to count mine yet. Perhaps someday I will, but not yet.

It's not a compitition to see who has the most finds or hides. Now it's about finders. I just want to know if those that did find my caches had fun when they did. I would rather see one simley in a photograph that 100 smilies in the online logs.

For me, the most interesting count was the comparison of paper log and the online log. I had the chance to do this with a cache I recently adopted and the numbers were very interesting. There were almost 40 more finders in the paper log versus online, so the total number of finds was over 200 versus the 160 or so online. I'm going to try this with my other caches just for grins. :lol:

After monkeying with that script I finally got it working, but it still took forever to figure this.

1842/63=29.24finds per cache

Range 0 to 114, didn't figure out notes, dnfs, frequenty etc.

(*I counted event 'attended' as 'finds', and numbers are for all caches, not just current active ones)