More Paperless Caching

dino-irl

Ok, I've been reading the various Paperless threads with interest and I've been trying to work out a solution for myself. However, I think I need specific advice.

First of all this is what I have:

Ipaq 3870

GPXSonar

Etrex Legend (B&W)

Mapsource on the PC running MetroGuide Europe V7 and the SMC Contour set.

GSAK on the PC

Lots of paper maps OSI Discovery Series 1:50,000

How do I use the Ipaq as a GPS when I'm travelling? The Etrex is great but the screen is very limited. I would like to get more use of the Ipaq if possible.

Now, here's the problem - I live in Ireland so I don't have access to any of your fancy programs like Memory Map or all the other delightful software I see highly recommended.

Anyone got any advice?

Edited by dino-irl
Two methods, either buy a Bluetooth GPS and use that, the  BT338 is really good.  Or buy a cable so that you can interface the PDA / Garmin GPS together.

What about mapping software?

Well not sure what mapping software covers Ireland, you could scan paper maps and calibrate them to work in the International Edition of Memory Map (This function is not included in UK edition). Does TomTom cover Ireland? If so you could use that for getting around.

Milton (aka Moote)

There is a similar function in GPS Tuner. I printed off the manual to have a look at the facilities it offers.

It too can use calibrated images of maps that you scan yourself. Once you've registered two sets of coords on the map, it works the same way.

The programme also uses the same gpx files as GPSonar and lists the caches in a similar manner.

I wonder is there any program out there that can run the maps that Mapsource uses?

Seems a shame to have Metroguide sitting there on the PC and not be able to use it on the PDA. After all I can export maps to the Legend from Mapsource. I guess if I had a Garmin manufactured PDA I could do that.

Thanks for the help so far anyway. Must check out GPS Tuner.

I'll also look at MM and TT but I doubt if they'll cover Ireland :anicute:

I think you want Navigon Mobile Navigator (which has maps of Ireland) plus the aforementioned Bluetooth GPS. I haven't seen Navigon in action, so can't say whether it's as good as Tom Tom. You'll need to check that you can easily download waypoints (as Points Of Interest) from the PC (GSAK), however, otherwise it'll be a bit limited for geocaching.

HH

The sample that they give for EU is a small portion of France and it does look like a road Atlas (in fact it's licensed by Philips) but that would suit me fine. For the more detailed stuff I can use the Legend. It's more of a general navigation tool I want that will give me a similar result to using a paper map.

I really would like to see before I buy though :lol:

Another option would be MS Autoroute. This does include street maps of Ireland although I believe it is not particularly detailed outside the main cities. The maps are downloadable to a PDA using the supplied Pocket Streets software.

Edit: I believe you can also add POI's to Pocket Streets

Edited by Phillimore Clan
Another option would be MS Autoroute. This does include street maps of Ireland although I believe it is not particularly detailed outside the main cities. The maps are downloadable to a PDA using the supplied Pocket Streets software.

Edit: I believe you can also add POI's to Pocket Streets

I did use Pocket Streets in Ireland this year (having downloaded the caches as pushpins to the map), but the lack of detail made it of limited help. It was useful to give a general idea of where the caches lay.

When I next visit Ireland I'll scan a paper map and use GPS Tuner - this does seem rather memory-hungry on the PDA, however.

HH

I did use Pocket Streets in Ireland this year (having downloaded the caches as pushpins to the map), but the lack of detail made it of limited help.

Sounds pretty similar to Mapsource Metroguide. It's pretty limited once you go outside the main cities. It's good for planning trips but I prefer not to take the laptop caching :lol:

I did use Pocket Streets in Ireland this year (having downloaded the caches as pushpins to the map), but the lack of detail made it of limited help.

Sounds pretty similar to Mapsource Metroguide. It's pretty limited once you go outside the main cities. It's good for planning trips but I prefer not to take the laptop caching :lol:

Pocket street runs on the PDA not the laptop, It comes with Autoroute though, in the UK it is really good as you can get atoz mapping of a large city in a small file on the PPC

Edited by Moote

A quick bit of advice please. Having read the forums re paperless caching I am unfortunately more confused than when I started.

I have an Ipaq pocket PC, vistac c, and am playing around with GSAK but am yet to get the full hang of it. I have just upgraded my membership to premium and have successfully downloaded my first set of GPX waypoints within a radius of my HA. So far so good.

All I want to do now is load the data onto my PPC so I can check out the details whilst searching around. This is where I am stuck.

Simpleton guide please to getting the data to the PPC. I have a sync station and activesync intalled just dont know which bit to press on GSAK and in what format to get it over.

regards and thanks in advance.

A quick bit of advice please. Having read the forums re paperless caching I am unfortunately more confused than when I started.

I have an Ipaq pocket PC, vistac c, and am playing around with GSAK but am yet to get the full hang of it. I have just upgraded my membership to premium and have successfully downloaded my first set of GPX waypoints within a radius of my HA. So far so good.

All I want to do now is load the data onto my PPC so I can check out the details whilst searching around. This is where I am stuck.

Simpleton guide please to getting the data to the PPC. I have a sync station and activesync intalled just dont know which bit to press on GSAK and in what format to get it over.

regards and thanks in advance.

Get yourself a copy of GPX Sonar it free, also you might at some point want to consider Memory Map, that usually cost!

I tried both GPX Sonar and the option of Exporting HTML Pages from GSAK.. and I quite like the later method over using Sonar.

I played with Memory Map on Dartmoor - with the caches as an overlay, which I managed as an export from GSAK.

Now I'm just trying to work out a weekly system for keeping everything up to date. Does anyone have any useful hints for that please?

Do I just clear the data from my IPAQ and start again? or can I just run an Update of some sort?

Thanks to everyone that helped out in various ways. Looks like Microsoft Autoroute and Pocket Streets is the best option for Ireland although I'm extremely jealous of the quality of maps available using Memory Map.

I'll lock this thread now that my questions have been answered.

Edited by dino-irl