New Cache Containers

I WENT TO MY VINTAGE CAMERA DEALER TODAY (OK DON'T TELL HIM I SAID THAT) TO PURCHASE SOME VIDEO EQUIPMENT, WHILST THERE I SAW HE HAD SOME FILM DEVELOPEMENT TANKS IN 3 DIFFERENT SIZES. I NEEDED SOME NEW CONTAINERS FOR A NEW CACHE SERIES AND SO I GOT THEM. THE BIGGEST IS 14" DEEP, I PLAN TO BURY THAT ONE LEAVING ONLY THE SCREW ON LID SHOWING, THE OTHERS ARE A GOOD SIZE TOO. AS THEY HAD CHEMICALS IN I HAVE WASHED THEM WELL AND WILL PAINT THE LIDS READY FOR ACTION. I NOW HAVE A NEW SUPPLIER FOR CACHE CONTAINERS AND IT'S BETTER TO RECYLE THAN SEE THINGS GET DUMPED.

I always thought it was frowned upon to bury cache containers. So I just looked up the guidelines and was surprised to find the following:

Please do not bury the container unless you have express permission of the landowner or manager. If the cache is far enough away from trafficked areas, your cache should be fine. An exception would be covering the cache with dead branches, bark, etc. to conceal the container.

'Express permission' is required - I guess that is in addition to 'general' landowner permission?

I find the sentence a little confusing.

Jon

As I read it the cache will not be completely buried (the screw lid will be visible). Am I right in inferring that the lid would be removable, and the contents accessible without digging up the cache?

I read into it that way as well, but this doesn't make any difference as far as the guidelines go, buried is buried after all.

The cache container will not need digging up, it will be accessed by unscrewing the lid which will be visable. As for permission the places where they will go have been given permission to be placed in the way I plan. If you look at the video of the first ever cache placed, It was placed in a simular way. Burying at cache means digging a hole and placing a cache into it and then covering it in soil. digging a hole to hold a cache is not counted as burying.

Burying at cache means digging a hole and placing a cache into it and then covering it in soil. digging a hole to hold a cache is not counted as burying.

I think the point of the guideline is that if something is buried and invisible then people are going to start digging holes where they think it is - and that could be damaging to the environment.

Its the same logic as not hiding in dry stone walls - the cache can be put in and taken out without any damage being caused but overenthusiastic seekers may half demolish the wall trying to find which stone it is behind!

From the Geocaching Listing Requirements/Guidelines:

"Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

* Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate."

Better use your bare hands to dig that hole.

.......... digging a hole to hold a cache is not counted as burying.

Oh yes it is! :D

The only time we'll allow a buried cache is if the landowner has given express permission for you to dig on his/her land (and is happy for cachers to do likewise if necessary).

This has been discussed several times on the reviewers' private forum and the clear intent of the guideline is that if you have to dig at all (with or without tools) to hide the cache then it's "Buried". If you use an existing hole (not an animal hole) to hide it then cover it with twigs, leaves etc. then that's fine.

I hope this helps avoid any misunderstandings. :D

I've done This one twice now - once on our own, once when Mum and Dad started caching... although the cache listing says it's no longer buried, it was buried on both my visits, AND had contrabrand sweets in that we just had to pinch!! :D

Edited because I can't spell today!

Edited by hazel and Phill
I've done This one twice now - once on our own, once when Mum and Dad started caching... although the cache listing says it's no longer buried, it was buried on both my visits, AND had contrabrand sweets in that we just had to pinch!!  :D

Edited because I can't spell today!

Yoikes! Don't get it archived, it's only 1 away from 100 finds and was my second ever cache!

:D

...It is buried though!.... :D

Edited to make sense :D

Edited by Team 'James W'