I've Done An Archived Cache

kbootb

I found myself in London with a PDA and GPS full of data that I had from GSAK. So I did a number of caches, in fact my best day ever.

When I got back I had trouble tracking down a cache page to log it. Turns out it had been archived but somehow the status had not changed in GSAK.

I logged it on line but wonder what happens now? Will my log get deleted. I think that's a bit mean as I did all the work in good faith. In fact had to brave half a dozen of London's finest drunks who were fighting with just about everything that moved, including some imaginary people.

You're in good company! It happened to me recently too at this one near Aldershot:

Cache to the Maximus...

...and like you, the GSAK file had not picked up the archeived status of this cache. Funny thing was, the cache is still there, logbook and all.

I had a look at my PQ settings and could not see a problem...

...email to Clyde E perhaps?

Shouldn't the cache be removed, if the permission was denied?

Has anyone contacted the owner?

I won't go into details, but it was only archived some time after it had been active - there appears some issue who originally granted permission - and who is responsible for the land concerned.

The owner appears to live some distance from the cache, which is one reason why I am trying to find out what has happened. If the cache needs removing someone needs to do so. If there is some hurdle that can be overcome to enable the cache - I would prefer to do that.

Cache to the Maximus was a joy to do one spring at dusk. It is a shame if it has become archived just because the owner has not completed the relevant form

Yes this was an excellent cache and location.

I recall speaking with the cache owner immediately it was archived, as I had just left a geocoin in the cache.

He did confirm an application was made for placement, but it was subsequently refused - hence my revisit to collect the coin.

I offered to remove the cache, but he was going to retrieve the cache in a few days.

I do remember thinking to myself that dogs and their owners do far more damage to the environment here than the odd geocacher could ever do.

;)

Jon

To prevent any further unauthorised visits I've changed the co-ords. If anyone is intending rescuing the box and contents drop me an e-mail and I'll let you have the correct ones.

Is this in reference to the cache Learned Gerbil was referring to or the one that I started the thread with.... private e-mail on its way to give details

It is the Cache to the Maximus cache. I was there on a dark spring evening and the place was crawling with walkers, cyclists and dogs. The area is often used for filming, hence the reference to Gladiator in the title (The woodland scenes were filmed there, including the opening battle).

Considering how popular the area is, and the damage filming must do, it is a bit surprising that a cache is considered so much of a problem. It was located just off a well trodden path - we had to suspend our search several times as people came along.

Never mind - if they don't want to give permission, they are of course entitled to do that - but it is frustrating.

Next time I am in the area I will pick up the cache.

Funny thing... I've just PM-ed Lacto offering to collect the box next month when I go back to Aldershot for a couple of weeks.

And I said:

...and as someone else opined, there is more traffic from dog-walkers than geo-geeking will ever generate. I had to hang about while 2 sets of DW minced back and forth waiting for their animals to attend to their calls of nature. There were dozens more up and down the path (see my photo) and the carpark was like Tesco's, as one set of DW departed...

...so I strongly concur with LG's comments, the impact our pastime generates is insignificant compared to that of the other users of the area. The Forestry Commission are rather overplaying this.

Nevertheless, my offer to collect the box stands.

The problem isn't with GSAK but with GC.com. As Alan said near the top somewhere, when a cache is archived, it effectively becomes invisible to any PQs. Therefore, it is impossible to get GSAK to change a cache to archived automatically. It has to be done manually, by checking likely suspects.

I agree that it is not ideal, somehow, it would be nice if archived caches are shown in a PQ at least once. For example, an archived cache could have a note attached to that effect, for one week, before enetering the archived land. Here's hoping!

HTH

Dave

kbootb wrote:

I underdstand the GSAK bit now.

I was mislead as in the filter there is a tick box for archived.

If the cache went through 'temporarily disabled' first then GSAK would pick it up and at least I would be able to filter that out.

The thing to do is to periodically sort GSAK by date of last update, then work through the ones that haven't been updated since before your last pqs. Just click on each to see them online to check whether they're archived or not, which they almost always are. Then tick the user box if the cache is archived, and when you're done either delete them or move them to another database. (Make sure you clear the user boxes before you start!).

I started this thread talking about a totally different cache - giving no clues but it is in central London.

But a great cache to find. I always need micro containers so may need to remove this one if it is still there.

I've made a plea for the cache to be re-named etc and re-opened as I think it's an important place. Not had a reply from the owner yet, so don't 'retrieve' the containter too quickly.

The thing to do is to periodically sort GSAK by date of last update, then work through the ones that haven't been updated since before your last pqs.  Just click on each to see them online to check whether they're archived or not, which they almost always are.

Is there another reason why a cache wouldn't be included in a PQ GPX file other than it having been archived?

MarkGPX wrote:

Is there another reason why a cache wouldn't be included in a PQ GPX file other than it having been archived?

Not as far as I know, but I check them all online anyway just to be sure. Very occasionally I've found caches that weren't in the last update but haven't been archived, and I haven't been able to see why. I've assumed that either that's been due to some glitch of the moment, or I've made some silly mistake.

The thing to do is to periodically sort GSAK by date of last update, then work through the ones that haven't been updated since before your last pqs.  Just click on each to see them online to check whether they're archived or not, which they almost always are.

One possible reason is the PQ 500 limit

If your selection criteria is such that it now returns more than 500 caches then something has to go.

As new caches match your criteria and push the selection past 500 then some of the old caches will not make it into the PQ

The thing to do is to periodically sort GSAK by date of last update, then work through the ones that haven't been updated since before your last pqs.

Bill,

Well that was a shock! I had obviously picked up details of hundreds of caches over the years that had not been updated. This has probably happened through either changing my PQ or the listings had been displaced off PQ by newer caches being placed - or the archeive thing!

Anyway, I ended up pruning literally hundreds of caches out of our GSAK database. Now I am aware of this situation, I should be able to avoid Sue & I chasing the phantom caches in the future.

Thanks for flagging up this situation...