Contact Lens Jars For Micro Caches

Hugh Jazz

This thread is not for your opinions of micros. Given that micro caches do exist and will continue to exist:

What is your opinion of using the contact lens jars as microcaches?

The jars I'm referring to are about an inch and a half tall, 3/4 inch in diameter, with a plastic lid and since they're designed to hold a contact lens in some saline solution, they're waterproof.

cooper-toric-contact-lenses.jpg

You can get these at the optometrist's office when you get a new prescription of contact lenses. I'm thinking they probably throw away about two dozen of these jars each day and might be willing to let you have them instead if you asked nicely.

So has anyone used them and how do they hold up to the elements?

Actually I was thinking of tossing one into a huge boulder field. :laughing:

I agree the glass is pretty thick on this so I don't think breakage is going to be an issue especially if there are no boulders in the general vicinity. You'd have a hard time breaking one of these even with a hammer. Simply dropping one onto concrete won't break it.

I just did a scientific series of drop tests:

Experimental Apparatus:

1 Concrete Floor, unpainted, aged approx 84 years.

1 Contact lens jar as pictured, Coopervision brand (toric), empty jar, dry, lid removed.

Experimental Conditions:

Temperature 72 deg F. No wind (test conducted indoors in unfinished basement).

Experimental Procedure:

1. Setup:

Hold jar motionless, 1.5m above concrete surface.

2. Execution:

Release, imparting zero net vertical velocity to the jar.

Repeat 10x, varying the orientation of release each time.

Note any breakage after retrieval of jar (or fragments thereof)

Experimental Results:

No breakage noted.

Conclusion:

The Coopervision brand of glass contact lens jar appears to be safe for use as a geocaching micro-container. Of course further experimentation in a more real-world scenario is warranted. Say, outdoors on a carpet of pine needles, grass, or leaves. Furthermore, other brands of glass container should be tested.

Edited by Hugh Jazz

They sound like great containers to me. Just don't hide them near Hugobear's tile. :blink:

I don't have a problem with glass containers. Obviously, your container should match its location. If you are concerned that your glass container could be broken if dropped in the hide area, perhaps you should look for another container.

Edited by sbell111
What is your opinion of using the contact lens jars as microcaches?

So has anyone used them and how do they hold up to the elements?

I had a cache in test for a couple months that stayed dry (decided the location wasn't going to work and removed it). But this from was one of the plastic screw top holders.

like this:

B000052XC9.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

cut the bridge between them and paint it black you have two little micros.

No experience with the 'jars' though. I'd say no to anything glass, even if this one won't break easy, someone else might get the bright idea to use something that would.

Glass is never a good idea. I'm trying out a new micro container: Diabetic test strip container. Black plastic with a snap top. 2" x 1". It should be pretty water tight. I couldn't find a picture of it on the net.

D'oh!!!! I have a constant supply of these. I shoulda been saving them! I'll start selling them when I get a few dozen in hand. GREAT IDEA!