Etrex Legend C Problem

WorldOfPets

hi all i have a Legend C and it seems to be going wacky cause when i got it about a month ago it worked fine but now when i am caching and i stop walking the map keeps going in circles like i am walking in circles any ideas as to why it does this i have map source installed on it also i have just noticed it doing this the couple last times i have been out with it...

Mine does the same thing, and changing the tracking didn't help. I'm stumped. My B&W legend never did this. It really is irritating, so I feel your pain.

I called Garmin about it and they had never heard of the problem. Hmm. I took a small video of it to send to Garmin but the video was too large to e-mail, even a short clip.

Dean

the first thing i did when getting my legend C was upgrade the firmware to the newest one, the one that was installed was over a year old. i have had no problems at all with mine.

hold down the click stick and turn the unit on(this enters a test menu) at the top of this page will list the software version(firmware). on the legend C as of right now 2.50 is the most recent.

here is link to garmin download if you don't have newest one.

legendC software

hi,

thanks for advice i do how ever have the 2.50 update version and i also tried North up as well they both didnt seem to work i recently bought city select 7 so i am hoping after i upgrade to that it will work i will se and keep yous posted but if yous do happen to figure it out in the mean time please do let me know what it was cause i am at a loss with it

Just a wild thought about something else you can try, based on the theory that the GPSr might be spinning because it's searching for a road:

Go to Main Menu > Setup > General > and see if "Lock on Road" is checked. If it is, uncheck it and see if that solves the problem.

The other thing you should check, if you're using a GOTO to find a cache...select "Off Road" instead of "Follow Road."

I haven't had this spinning problem so I can't say for sure if any of these suggestions will help, but it's worth a try.

Drew

the arrow on the screen still spins around while you are at a standstill.

Occasional jumping around of the arrow while you're standing still is normal and expected behavior on any unit that doesn't include an internal magnetic compass.

The only way a GPS (w/o mag compass) knows the way you're currently heading is by noticing changes in your position and velocity, so when you're standing still it has no data to judge your actual heading and will normally just leave the arrow pointing in whatever direction it last detected. But, as with any measurement, there will sometimes be some random fluctuations as new satellites come into view or different parts of the sky might be blocked by your body or other obstructions. The GPS has no way of distinguishing these random changes in measured position from real movement on your part so the arrow will swing around just as if you were really heading a different way for a moment. Such swings are most likely to occur under poor reception conditions where the random fluctuations in measured position are larger.

Different models may be more or less susceptible to showing these swings in direction, but there's a tradeoff to be made. If you want the arrow to quickly respond to any actual changes in your motion then it'll also be likely to jump around more when you're standing still. OTOH, designing the firmware to minimize false swings will also make it slow to respond to actual movements.

Thanks for that last post. Note that my old Legend (grey screen) never spun like a top when still; and it happens while there is a lock on 5+ sats. So I don't see it as a weak signal problem, and my old Legend didn't do this, that I recall. I believe it's s firmware problem.

Dean

Thanks for that last post.  Note that my old Legend (grey screen) never spun like a top when still; and it happens while there is a lock on 5+ sats.  So I don't see it as a weak signal problem, and my old Legend didn't do this, that I recall.  I believe it's s firmware problem.

Dean

If it was a firmware problem then everyone would be experiencing it. Peter's post pretty much said it all.

If you are stopped, try moving at a brisk pace and see if it straightens out. If not either your unit is defective or you have some setting wrong.

...and it happens while there is a lock on 5+ sats. So I don't see it as a weak signal problem...

Its not a weak signal problem. Its a motion problem. You can have 12 sats with a solid lock but if you aren't moving,or are moving very slowly, the GPS doesn't know direction (unless you have a unit with a magnetic compass).

Edited by briansnat

i would say it sounds like i could be a firmware problem since more than one of you have had this happen..... I have most recent firmware but have not had this happen at all.

so i decided that maybe we should dig allitle deeper. i have only used mine with base map loaded or metro guide(this is all i have for time being). like i said before mine has not done this.... so maybe it is a firmware issue casued by using city select?

also you may want to document when the unit does it exactly. is it when you navigate via the road to get to cache or anytime you to a goto any waypoint?

My partner and I had the samen problem this week with two different GPSr's at the same time in the Netherlands. Vista C and 60CS, both equiped with an electronic compass. Since a month or we also notice that we have a much better WAAS(EGNOS voor Europe)signal, with an accuracy <3 meter.

Are the some experiments going on above us?

Go to the setup menu, marine, and check that speed filter is set to auto. If you set it to off it'll make the heading wobble around. It's also got a user setting that you can tweak. I changed it once without realizing what it did and couldn't figure out why it thought I was spinning around out of control. ;)

Edited by Rotareneg
Go to the setup menu, marine, and check that speed filter is set to auto. If you set it to off it'll make the heading wobble around. It's also got a user setting that you can tweak. I changed it once without realizing what it did and couldn't figure out why it thought I was spinning around out of control. :(

You should call Garmin and tell them so next time a customer calls them with the same question, at least they will know what to answer ;)

Edited by Nomades

The "lock on roads" solution didn't work.

The "North Up" solution didn't work.

Updating the software version didn't work.

BUT, Ta Dah! Setting the marine speed filter to "auto" did the trick!

Thanks Rotareneg!

You know, I lost track of my original post on this topic, and continued to live with my spinning cursor. Until, that is, I checked back to see if I had missed something. And low and behold I did.

Going to Main Menu>Setup>Marine, and then setting the "Speed Filter" to "Auto" did the trick! No more spinning, regardless of what the other settings are!

Thanks to all who contributed! :anitongue:

Dean