Additions To The Geocaching Guidelines

Could Groundspeak start dating any changes and additions (and striking out deletions, with the date they were struck out) to the cache placement guidelines? That way we have a clearer picture of when the changes were made, and a clearer picture of what is grandfathered and what is not.

Why would you need to know what is grandfathered?

Could Groundspeak start dating any changes and additions (and striking out deletions, with the date they were struck out) to the cache placement guidelines? That way we have a clearer picture of when the changes were made, and a clearer picture of what is grandfathered and what is not.

could help those who have a similar idea better decide what the limits are, and wether their idea would fly now.

Really, all you need to know is what is allowed now and that is available here.

Edited by briansnat

For many new cachers, it is difficult to understand why a certain cache was approved when it seems so against the current guidelines. We old-timers know that it is likely a case of being grandfathered.

Placing the date that a guideline took effect or that a guideline was removed gives a much better sense of why certain caches are allowed to exist and why similar ones are unlikely to get approved.

I still don't understand how that information helps any geocacher.

Well, unless someone saw a cache and felt the need/desire/rightious indination to rat the cache owner out, but isn't sure if they'll put their foot in their mouth.

Knowing the date a guideline took effect does not help you find or hide a geocache.

Edited by Criminal
I still don't understand how that information helps any geocacher.

Well, unless someone saw a cache and felt the need/desire/rightious indination to rat the cache owner out, but isn't sure if they'll put their foot in their mouth.

Knowing the date a guideline took effect does not help you find or hide a geocache.

It doesn't. And frankly I don't really care when a guideline took effect, all I want to know is what the guidelines are. The date is not helpful.

No thanks, have you ever tried reading a document that has had things lined out (check out some pending state legislation and you will see for yourself). It can be hard enough to read them as they are and by adding a line through the deleted text just makes things all the harder. I would click on the link and then run for the hills after seeing all the jibberish. Plain text works fine for me, just have the date at the bottom of the page when it was last updated would be all that is required.

Maybe so less posts that ask questions like..."How is this (some link) cache allowed to happen, and they won't approve mine."

I thought you hated those kinds of posts anyways. :laughing: