Caching In London

Geovius

Hi,

We are once again going to visit in London and were wondering how to avoid unnecessary hassle then trying to find some caches. Or do we need to take any precautions at all? You probably quess why this questions came to our mind this time.

TeamMH

Forgive me for being stupid but what sort of unnecessary hassle are you referring to? Travel? Location? Access to the cache (muggles etc)?

I recently did two days caching in London.

Now bear in mind I had one disadvantage, that I use a wheelchair and people sometimes very kindly offer to help me if I sit in one place and appear lost for too long, and one advantage (for the London parks ones at least) in that I had a dog with me and could fiddle about with a tennis ball or poo bag and people ignored me.

My biggest difficulty was the numbers of muggles about, and in some cases tramps sleeping all day on benches!

Apart from GeoDog I was alone and felt that had I had someone else with me, I could have provided suitable distraction while they grabbed the cache.

Nevertheless, I had a pretty successful time, bagging some 16 in all!

Although there are lots of Bobbies on the beat, only once did I get stopped by one... however, that's cos he was interested in my wheelchair/trike arrangement ... tho for a few moments I did wonder how long he had been watching me!

Biggest asset to caching in London is to look reasonably confident and not look over your shoulder too many times!

Also, I'd reiterate what KittyHawk said, and try to go out early in the morning, or indeed be prepared to retrace your steps a few times until the area you are interested in has cleared.

Good Luck.

You probably quess why this questions came to our mind this time.

Ok,

I'll guess that you are talking about is what London Transport refer to as "The unfortunate incidents of 7/7".

If that is the case then I would not worry too much as very little has changed since then. You may see a few more police about and they may ask to search any bags you are carrying but that would be increduibly rare. I travel into london every day and I have never been stopped or searched. As for caching, I doubt you would atract much interest unless you look reallly suspicious.

HTH

Chris

I've cached in London twice, with wildly different outcomes...

First time: Lovely sunny summer Sunday, very busy. 11 found, 14 DNF's (6 hours walking). I knew where most of the 14 DNF's were but was unable to get near due to muggles.

Second time: Early one weekday morning in March @ 6am. 14 found out of 14 attempted (90 minutes cycling).

I had an hour and a half to spare last week and went caching in Kensington Park.

It was around 6pm on a beautiful balmy evening. The park was busy. Squirrels were darting across the paths. Parakeets were squabbling in the branches of trees.

London? I'm used to the wild open wilderness of Scotland, yet this was one of the best geocaching sessions I've had!

There were lots of people enjoying the evening. Some were just sitting doing nothing at all. Yes, sitting, and if anyone reading this has done the Kensington Park series of caches, you will know that this is a problem.

I just had to recognise that I was acting in a particularly suspicious manner, :lol: so I simply owned up and said that I was on a treasure hunt! Each time the people on the bench became quite animated and excited and wanted to help. I met an Italian doctor, Australian tourists, a French couple who were on their honeymoon. Everyone had great fun. :lol:

All except one 30-something Londoner who was sitting reading his paper when I approached and who stomped off in a huff at being disturbed! :lol: Now what does that tell you!

Great fun. Can't wait for my next trip!

BTW if someone want that their TB will travel to Finland give us a shout.

We will be in London 19-23.9.2005 and perhaps we can arrange something.

Or if someone want to give us a free cache sightseeing tour we are all in ears. :D

That sounds great I have TB that wants to go to Finland. I will email you via your profile.

Thanks

Gary