Paperless Caching

Looney Bin

That will work. Might even be a bit of overkill. If you're just using it for caching it may get knocked around a bit, so the cheapest one you can find may be your best choice. You can get something like a Palm m505 for 20-30 bucks on Ebay and it will work great.

Edited by briansnat

I bought a Palm Zire 31 which is much cheaper than the Tungsten. It cost about $130 at the Palm One Store on-line. It came with free stuff like a memory card and headphones because it can also be used as an mp3 player. It is probably overkill, but I like it. I downloaded free versions of spinner and plucker for geocaching and so far I have had no problems, but since I'm new at this others may have better ideas.

If you're just planning to cache with it, get one that you wouldn't mind getting ruined. If you're planning to use it for more, get a nice sturdy case for it. You can get a low-priced Palm PDA and CacheMate and you'll be set. You don't need a lot of memory either, which means you can stay in the low-end.

I have used a Palm with Cachemate and currently use a PocketPC with GPXSonar and both are more than adequate for paperless caching.

If you check out the hardware forums you'll find a lot of info on both options.

I use a Palm Tungtsen T3.

In addition to caching paperless, I also usually cache GPS-less.

I load .gpx files into GSAK, then add aerial photos and topo maps as notes to the caches I plan to hunt. Then I export as HTML files, and use Plucker to drop the data into my Palm. My T3 does the job very well.