Uk Home Page Down

Apparently we've hit a 30GB/month bandwidth limit (first time this has happened). Partly this is due to the site being popular, but partly it's a result of all the extra backups that I took during the unstable period a few weeks ago. I'll see what I can do to prevent it happening again.

The forums are hosted with a different company and I think they were having problems with their servers this morning - they seem OK now.

I've been using the GCUK site more and more for the darn useful interactive map - judging by how long it takes to download that page, it must be a big file. Rather than having to get an updated version of it each time I visit that page, could it be made saveable to my HDD? That way I could get it, keep it handy, and only visit when I felt it was no longer 'fresh' enough for my purposes. A simple link to the .swf file I could right-click and 'Save Target As...' would do it, I think.

While we're talking of the map (what else is on the site that's so big?) could the dots showing where caches are (or start) be shrunk too? In my area (Bucks and beyond) they just obscure each other and you can always quickly and easily zoom in for a closer look at the patch you're planning to sweep anyway. I know this isn't yet a problem in some parts of the country, but as time goes on, it may become a wider issue.

Thanks for your help :anitongue:

SP

Its been a very trying time at G:UK and T:UK this month. It all started with the botched up server move (not our fault), then because the data was “at risk” Ian took more backups than normal, this in turn used up more bandwidth .

I can assure you, that we do everything we can to keep the site running smoothly, but its been an unusual month.

Roll on September :anitongue:

Paul have you tried the new interactive map (GIS) ? They are lots quicker.

Edited by Deego

It's more than brilliant :anitongue:

You can zoom in and out, use the cursor to drag the map around and then, drag a box with the cursor over a group of caches. This opens up a new window with a list of all the caches that you've selected and you can click each one to go to its respective web page. You can even filter out caches you've already found! <_<

It's more than brilliant :ph34r:

You can zoom in and out, use the cursor to drag the map around and then, drag a box with the cursor over a group of caches. This opens up a new window with a list of all the caches that you've selected and you can click each one to go to its respective web page. You can even filter out caches you've already found! :o

shhhhhh everybody will want it :anitongue:

There goes next month's bandwidth <_<