Camo Tape

There are several camo tape caches around here. It's pretty popular stuff. All of the ones I've found, the tape seems to stand up pretty well to the elements. I've recently begun hiding my own and tried to find the duct tape type of camo tape but haven't had any luck. The only camo tape I could find was a cloth type that's used for wrapping guns and is designed to be easy to remove at the end of the season. However, the directions clearly state to make sure you remove it at the end of the season or it may become permanent. I'm checking those caches as often as I can and have included in the cache description that I'm testing the tape and to let me know in your log if it starts peeling. Still waiting to see how things go. So far so good. :laughing:

I placed a few caches in april of 2004 and they look as good now as the day I put them out. Most caches aren't in any great amount of sunlight so that may be why they last a fairly long time. The tape is the cloth based camo tape (made by H. S. Camo) used for bows or guns. There were 3 or 4 types like woodland, realtree, and advantage.(?) I used to buy it at Galyan's (now Dick's Sporting Goods) but they don't carry it anymore. All I have seen is the semi glossy duct type or the vinyl kind which I don't care for because it reflects light. I'll keep looking. Somebody has to make a cloth based tape. :(

Camo tape that I've used (picked up at Walmart) does fade after a while. In fact, I keep part of a roll wrapped around the handle of my flashlight (it makes for a better grip and it's a handy way to carry a little tape if you need to make a quick repair). The "camo" rubs off the outer layer pretty quickly and leaves a plain gray behind.

I've seen other camo tapes that seem to be better made, but I'm not really sure. Most caches that I see that are covered in camo tape end up fading sooner or later.

Bret

Anyone have any experience using camoflauge duct tape on cache containers? I've recently used some to camoflauge a couple of waterproof match containers and a Lock & Lock. How long will this stuff last? Will it just peel off or will it disintigrate right on the container? Thanks.

I also have a question about tape. Do you know where I can find large double sided tape? If you put it around your legs when you go hiking, it will keep the ticks off of you. Just had to ask. All I can find at the Craft stores is the narrow scotch brand.

Thanks,

Knight-Templar

The caches I've camo duct taped have lasted so far. One is at least year old and is a bit frayed, but still looking OK. I've also used the cloth camo tape used for wrapping guns and bows. I spray it with a few coats of clear sealer before setting it out and it works great. One bison cylinder that has been directly exposed to the elements for two years is still looking fine.

Edited by briansnat
Anyone have any experience using camoflauge duct tape on cache containers?  I've recently used some to camoflauge a couple of waterproof match containers and a Lock & Lock.  How long will this stuff last?  Will it just peel off or will it disintigrate right on the container?  Thanks.

I also have a question about tape. Do you know where I can find large double sided tape? If you put it around your legs when you go hiking, it will keep the ticks off of you. Just had to ask. All I can find at the Craft stores is the narrow scotch brand.

Thanks,

Knight-Templar

Try Home Depot they usually have wide roll double stick. The wide roll tape is usually used for carpert installlation or holding down drop clothes.

...There were 3 or 4 types like woodland, realtree, and advantage.(?) I used to buy it at Galyan's (now Dick's Sporting Goods) but they don't carry it anymore. All I have seen is the semi glossy duct type or the vinyl kind which I don't care for because it reflects light. I'll keep looking. Somebody has to make a cloth based tape. :D

Wal Mart is your answer. It may be a seasonal item if your local one isn't a super center. We've got both here and the super center carries it all year. The smaller store just started carrying it again for hunting season. On a side note, it's located right next to the blaze orange items. Don't forget to pick some of this up for winter/hunting season caching. Cachers sometimes look like deer...but I hear they still taste like chicken!!! :D

Anyone have any experience using camoflauge duct tape on cache containers?  I've recently used some to camoflauge a couple of waterproof match containers and a Lock & Lock.  How long will this stuff last?  Will it just peel off or will it disintigrate right on the container?  Thanks.

Thanks,

Knight-Templar

Try Home Depot they usually have wide roll double stick. The wide roll tape is usually used for carpert installlation or holding down drop clothes.

WOW! Never heard that one. I'll have to try that. Of course, that means no caching for me this week...I'm gonna be home building a double-sided-sticky-tape suite! :D

Check out my log at:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...33-c6066949cda9

to find out why. Boy...that was fun. :D