Which Do You Do First?

Jaz666

What's your personal preference when you are planning a new cache hide.....

a.) You find the hiding place first, and then build the cache according to the space available.

b.) You build first, then go and find an hiding place big (or small) enough to take it.

Edited by Jaz666

I hid my first cache a few days ago. I had an idea about where i wanted to hide it but didn't do a recce first (probably due to impatience).

I put my cache together and found a hiding place when i got there - all went well and i found an ideal spot.

I suppose it would be better to check the area first but i must admit, it worked well for me.

I've done both. I prefer to find the location first, then build the cache around it. But some of my puzzles forced me to limit the possible locations for the cache, so I had to find a location that met the requirements of the puzzle. The latter is much harder.

Dissregarding the permision bit as that a separate topic IMHO

We find the location first.

Decide on the best type of cache for the area ie multi puzzle etc

Take a cache and hide it taking down the co ordinates

Create a cache page but don't submit it.

Leave it for a while.

Go and find the cache by the method we state on the cache page.

Submit the cache for approval

When we dont check the cache page works as we have set it up we have always had problems. 2 multis with the wrong co ordinates and one mystery 140ft out.

With the right sort of thinking an ordinary cache in a wood can become a special cache that gives both you and the finders some pleasure

eg

I saw the first stage very quickly but that was only the start of my problems!

It's got to be location first. For me, the point of geocaching is to entice people to good locations.

Sometimes the 'cleverness' of the container is a delight, sometimes a real frustration. To be honest, I always thought that the cache setters wanted their caches to be found. Some are so well disguised and have so few clues I'm not so sure.

Lowest on my list is contents. If I was motivated by what I found in a cache I would have given up ages ago.

Find the location 1st, get permission, then build the container.

Have done one in completly the wrong order due to extenuating circumtances:

Got permission, made cache, went to location to place cache. It was a complete nightmare, had to take 2 containers in case one didn't fit. Luckily our 1st one fitted but we had still lugged 2 caches on a 5star terrain hike!

We used to build them, then find a location. However, in future we will look at the ordnance survey map for good locations, or areas, then build, and hide in that area. That way we think we will have a better idea when building if it will be a difficult cache, or easy, and be able to avoid places like forestry land, etc. That way of course, we know where any public footpaths, or right of ways are instead of looking blind...