Reselling Of Gc Gear

twjolson & Kay

My local caching group has a website, and as caching has grown in the area, so too has the bandwith required by the website. They are now considering ideas to cover the extra cost of upgrading their account. I think a great way would be reselling GC gear at the local level. And if GC could give them the stuff at a reduced rate, (but still likely higher then brick and mortar stores, so GC would be making more then from stores) they could then sell it to local cachers at regular prices for some profit.

I really like this idea, but would like help fleshing it out, as well as comments on feasibility.

How much bandwith are you talking about? What is your current cost? How much will an upgrade cost? I ask because there are lots of state/local groups out there with experience and somebody can probably help you find a good deal.

There are also probably better ways to make a profit than "reselling" GC.com products. People would probably be more willing to purchase "local" merchandise than slightly inflated GC.com merchandise (of course, if GC.com cut you a deal it might work out but I don't know if that's likely for a variety of reasons).

sd

How much bandwith are you talking about? What is your current cost? How much will an upgrade cost? I ask because there are lots of state/local groups out there with experience and somebody can probably help you find a good deal.

There are also probably better ways to make a profit than "reselling" GC.com products. People would probably be more willing to purchase "local" merchandise than slightly inflated GC.com merchandise (of course, if GC.com cut you a deal it might work out but I don't know if that's likely for a variety of reasons).

sd

@ BlueDeuce : That is one of the modes they are pondering, but I don't see that working in the long term.

@ southdeltan : I don't know the answer to alot of your questions, as I am not in charge of the site. I'll see if I can get Brat or Testy to pop in. However in reply to

People would probably be more willing to purchase "local" merchandise than slightly inflated GC.com merchandise (of course, if GC.com cut you a deal it might work out but I don't know if that's likely for a variety of reasons).

That is the idea I had. GC could cut local organizations a deal to help them cover expenses of websites, events, etc. And, GC will benefit because they could sell them at a higher margin to normal stores, yet still cheaper then what people would pay retail. Plus, more product would be in more places. And since most people have to have the product shipped, that cost could be cut out, making it cheaper to get stuff from your local caching organization, and thus more likely to buy and buy more.

And since most people have to have the product shipped, that cost could be cut out, making it cheaper to get stuff from your local caching organization, and thus more likely to buy and buy more.

You've neglected one important step there........

The product still has to be shipped from gc.com's processing facility to your local organization. Yes, you'll probably save a little on bulk shipping, but you're not going to eliminate the shipping altogether. And also, you'd likely have to order in large enough quantities that the amount of overhead you'd carry would possibly be prohibitive. Depending on the size of your organization, you are probably going to still deal with shipping to the individual members. I'd say go with swag for your local group. Anyone can get gc.com stuff, yours will be exclusive.

You've neglected one important step there........

The product still has to be shipped from gc.com's processing facility to your local organization. Yes, you'll probably save a little on bulk shipping, but you're not going to eliminate the shipping altogether. And also, you'd likely have to order in large enough quantities that the amount of overhead you'd carry would possibly be prohibitive. Depending on the size of your organization, you are probably going to still deal with shipping to the individual members. I'd say go with swag for your local group. Anyone can get gc.com stuff, yours will be exclusive.

Good point, any ideas around this?

My thoughts, GC could either bring down the cost to the group, but still be above cost to stores, or the local group could pass the cost to the customer, while still trying to be equal or lower then what the end customer would get with shipping from a normal store.