Read Your Pocket Query Emails.

I've just noticed that since the 10th August all my pocket queries have contained a link to click to ensure that the pocket queries run next week.

I'm guessing that this is due a capacity problem at Groundspeak and they are hoping that people who don't read the emails won't click on the links to renew the cache. This works if you base your argument on "those who don't read the emails don't need the query" but ignores the fact that if you have gsak downloading the emails then you don't need to read them as gsak reads them straight into the database.

Hopefully this will help those who do what I do and just have them loaded straight into gsak.

I have got to say that I am not happy with this, everytime you get a pocket query you have to go back to the PQ page and switch it back on. This I think is a backward step. I have them set up on the days I want them, and I leave them alone after that. Having to go back to switch it on all the time, is defeating the object of it being easy.

The PQ's that I already don't use, but keep for reference, are already switched off.

Also note that it is the last link of the list of links that you get in the email.

NOT HAPPY :P:huh:;):P;)

And what do I click on the ones for the 12th and 13th that never arrived?

Ah! Found the solution - it is stupidly simple - the last digit is the day of the week - 0=Sunday to 6=Saturday.

Take one email, create shortcusts for the URLs for the days you want to run by changing the last digit as above. Then run a scheduling application to run all of those at least once a week then close the browser windows when they appear.

This could so easily result in a greater load on their servers!

I suspect it is all designed to weed out the PQs being run by people who no longer need them. Do this for a couple of weeks and you will have stripped out lots of redundant PQs. They could have done it much better though by actually making the intentions clear.

Edited by Learned Gerbil
And what do I click on the ones for the 12th and 13th that never arrived?

Go back to the PQ master page and switch them back on I'm afraid.

Also, the e-mail does say it's a temporary situation.

But thanks for the warning, as I need to make sure the entries on my PDA are up to date as I am preparing for a few days caching in a different area and won't have access to the net.

Sorry, added the automated solution whilst you were posting - I have nothing to turn on as the ticks were still there.

I was only guessing. Perhaps you have to turn them off and on again?

I can't remember what state mine were in as I turned them all off while I was on holiday to save my mailbox, I had only turned on the ones I needed for my next trip. So when I looked at my PQ page it was very bare of ticks. Couldn't be sure if they had been turned off by the system.

This is not a good step. I know its temporary but we pay for the PQ service and we shouldn't have to click on it every week.

I presumed from the wording of the e-mail this would only have to be done once (for each PQ). Or is it going to go on for several weeks?

Lisa

Edited by minstrelcat