Placing A Virtual Cache

R4D4R

I was in Maine this past week and found a terrific spot for a cache, however because it is too far from my home outside of Boston and I wouldnt be able to get up there more than once a year, I wanted to put it as a virtual.

Now here is my question, can I state in my cache that in order to get credit for the find, you not only have to find it, you have to see <this one thing> passing through here? Now <this one thing> can be seen here several times a day, but its not consistent

Is this acceptable?

I was in Maine this past week and found a terrific spot for a cache, however because it is too far from my home outside of Boston and I wouldnt be able to get up there more than once a year, I wanted to put it as a virtual.

Now here is my question, can I state in my cache that in order to get credit for the find, you not only have to find it, you have to see <this one thing> passing through here? Now <this one thing> can be seen here several times a day, but its not consistent

Is this acceptable?

Placing Caches on Vacation

Placing caches on vacation is unacceptable and these caches will not be approved on the web site. As the cache owner you are obligated to be in a position to manage your caches, and caches placed on vacation require someone else to maintain them for you. Please be responsible.

Virtual caches also require maintaince. You need to be able to check to make sure that the proof you ask for has not been changed or removed.

Prior to considering a virtual cache, you must have given consideration to the question “why couldn’t a microcache or multi-cache be placed there?” Physical caches have priority, so please consider adding a traditional, micro or making the location a step in an offset or multi-stage cache with the physical cache placed in an area that is appropriate.

Virtual Cache Posting Guidelines

A virtual cache must be a physical object that can be referenced through latitude and longitude coordinates. That object should be semi-permanent to permanent. Objects in motion (such as people, vehicles) generally do not qualify as a virtual cache, unless that item can be adequately tracked and updated on the Geocaching.com web site. (For example, a link to a tracker for a vehicle might be acceptable, but contact your local approver first before posting it as a virtual cache to work out the details.) If I post the cache today, someone else should be able to find it tomorrow and the next day.

Based on the above guidelines I would say no its not going to work.

Edited by LaPaglia

1. The vacation cache/maintainable distance guideline applies to virtual caches, too. Expect an uphill battle.

2. If the place you found is a terrific spot for a cache, let someone put one there. The preference is for physical caches. You'd need to demonstrate that it is impossible to place a cache nearby -- even a micro, or a multicache that ended elsewhere. So, a virtual might be accepted in Acadia National Park, but not in a forest where there were no restrictions on geocaching. Expect an uphill battle.

3. The subject that only passes through a few times per day had better be one-of-a-kind unique, in order to qualify under the listing guidelines for virtual caches. It had better be a live fire-breathing dragon, or a moose that can recite Shakespeare, and not something common like a freight train or ferryboat. Expect an uphill battle.

If you want to create a virtual cache (and don't want to stand on your head, cross your eyes and recite "War and Peace" to have it approved), simply create a regular one, have it go missing, then post a note on the cache page telling folks they can log it as a virtual until you get around to replacing it!

Like this one: The Old Seed House Garden

and this one: Winter Wasteland (though this one does look like it's back up and running normally now).

- hamgran

If you want to create a virtual cache (and don't want to stand on your head, cross your eyes and recite "War and Peace" to have it approved), simply create a regular one, have it go missing, then post a note on the cache page telling folks they can log it as a virtual until you get around to replacing it!

Like this one: The Old Seed House Garden

and this one: Winter Wasteland (though this one does look like it's back up and running normally now).

- hamgran

Cache reviewers will either disable or archive such "converted" caches when brought to our attention. The converted virtual cache is different than the type of cache that was initially reviewed and published. It no longer fits the listing guidelines.

So, I don't recommend that people follow your suggestion. :D

Right. There are hundreds of "vacation virtuals" that were listed under prior versions of the guidelines. And many of them developed maintenance problems, or interfered with the later placement of a traditional cache. Now the guidelines address this. The advice provided above applies to new virtual cache submissions for the very short period of remaining time when such submissions will be an option.

"Probably" isn't the word to use. It definitely wont be listed.

Na, really and truly "probably" is the right word. There are ways and conditions, but I'm not going to argue the point in any detail. It is rapidly becoming moot. The OP's description is vague, but it is something that might fly with no problem on the new beta site.

He asked a question and got answers from three reviewers. Broadening the issue is only going off topic.

I wouldn't agree with saying "definitely". While I was vacationing in Nova Scotia, I had the printout for a cache placed by a geocacher who lives in British Columbia and openly said she'd placed it while on vacation.

How old is the cache?

There are hundreds of "vacation virtuals" that were listed under prior versions of the guidelines

ok, there may be some exeption,

really and truly "probably" is the right word

All guidelines aside, you really answered your own question. Considering that a cache could go there the most courteous thing would be to wait for someone who lives in the area to place one there. Maybe you could post in the regional forum and suggest someone nearby place one?