October The 9th, Flintshire

Ok folks a date for your diarys, Sunday the 9th of October, location Flintshire, North Wales.

Nette, Sarajayne, Fruity&Doggit and myself are organising a cache event with a difference, giving cachers a chance to give something back to the environment from which we get so much enjoyment!

What we have planned in association with the local Ranger from Flintshire CC and the the Land Manager, employed by the Land Owner, is to spend approx 4 hrs doing some Dune maintanence and CITO in a SSSI, afterwards going for a bite to eat and a drink or 2. The planned activitys would take the Ranger and his group of volunteers anything up to 12 months to complete, so this is a great chance to showcase the UK Geocaching community!

The Land owner is the major stake holder of the SSSI but is actively involved with the other landowners of the area in a Management Steering Group, and will be getting the other members of the group involved in sponsoring the event, and will be via their PR department getting the Press involved as well.

As the start time will be 09:45 to allow a short safety briefing we are looking into a suitable camp-site and also the possibility of a discount for the hire of a couple of static caravans on a near by site.

Once all details have been finalised we will be posting the cache page, which will be listed as a CITO event.

Nette, Sara, Craig, Dave

I think we need a new record on the records page - most events organised in a year. Soon there won't be any weekends left for anyone else to arrange meets!

Sorry Tiger no record planed off me this year :lol: , but you never know :lol: . Anyway my O/H Nette now knows I'm totally crackers due to my latest project that's come out of geocaching ;), so if I plan any more events this year I'm homeless :lol: .

I've mulled over a idea ever since I first saw this Locationless Cache, as I live in a very small village, which in the last couple of years has tragicly lost due to accidents a 15yr old and a 19yr old, I've now decided to get things going, so I've just requested a appointment with a local town council to see if they will donate a piece of land in a garden of remembrance. If they say "yes", I'll be starting the fund raising rolling. You've been warned :lol:

Dave( the man about which Nette never thought to ask if he was sane before marrying him :lol: )

Just as I was thinking - at last, one of Dave's events on a Sunday that doesn't coincide with football - I noticed that it was when we are on holiday. Sorry Dave, maybe one day we might get to come to one.

Don't worry mate I've plenty more ideas yet for events :( fancy a 60 mile challenge walk in 48hrs visiting caches along the route ;). See plenty of ideas ;)

Dave :huh:

We'll try and make it Dave if possible although, as it stands at the moment, I'll be working again from the 5th to the 19th so I'm not sure. My relief is already working around the Shropshire Camping Event so I'm running out of favours ;):huh::(

Martin & Lynn

Ah I'm sorry mate ;) , unfortunatly we moved it forward a week due to the Landowner hosting a hedge planting competion so as not to clash. Tell him I'll bung him a bottle of whiskey to cover for you ;)

Dave :(

Just to remind everyone. This is a chance to give something back to some of those who have given us the chance for so much fun. We will be working with a pro-active land manager who actually pushed through permission for a cache for me, also with a member of the local CC's Countryside service. The whole department is pro caching, one of the area managers recently helped me obtain permission for a cache on land they manage for a local community council. It would be nice if more people would be prepared to give up 4 hours to work with them on one of their projects. They've gone out of their way to help me despite fighting plans to reduce the No of Rangers in Flintshire by half! By giving up 4 hours to attend, you will actualy be helping with work that the ranger estimates will take him and the small group of Dune conservation Volunteers 12 to 18 months to complete!

Dave :)

A big thank you to everyone who attended! Kim and Sam from the landowners BHPBiliton and Mike the Flintshire CC Ranger Manager were amazed at the amount of scrub clearance that was done. Everyone take a big pat on the back! Afterwards we raised the amazing amount of £100 for Hope House Children's Hospice.

Big thank you must go to Talacre Caravan and Leisure Park for the caravans and the free use of the entertainment room and for donating 2 bottles of bubbly for the raffle and to Martin the entertainment Manager for running the raffle and chair bingo for us. Also to BHPBilitons who donated a Fortnum and Mason Hamper.

Hopefully even more will attend next years event!

Dave

I've just had a quick scan thrue and their brilliant Matt, you certainly caught quite a few unaware's including myself :unsure: . Matt has sent some photos to the Chester Chronicals and I'm hoping to arrange for the article to be scanned and made available for all to see.

Now for some more news regarding the event :unsure: .

The plan to have Flintshire CC take away not only the rubbish (which was removed yesterday) but also all the Willow was changed yesterday after I had a site meeting on Kim Normans behalf with the Operations Manager for Chester Zoo. He agreed to take all the Willow as forage for the Animals at the Zoo :D (this being a more natural food source than them being given grass). So everyone's efforts have not just benefited the Dunes and wildlife there but also Animals in Chester Zoo, so everyone take a double pat on the back! :(

Dave :)