24 Hours Record Attempt

Any 24 hours will do. We started our London 24 hours at around 6am and finished the same time the following day. That way you can get a couple of hours kip while it's dark and have more energy for part 2.

Good luck with it! Incidentally, which one are you going for - inside or outside London? You could always also go for the 7 day record if you're off the whole week. London plus Oxford area plus a few other clusters would do it.

T

Hi,

I recently had a day in Oxford and really enjoyed it :lol:

I managed to find a reasonable sized car park that's free and situated close to a couple of caches. When I got to the car park at about 07:45 I was a little concerned that it was a bit exposed and out of town - when I got back about lunch time it was over flowing, so I guess most people think it's secure.

The Co-ords are roughly:-

North 51 deg 45.748

West 001 deg 16.446

Have fun, Oxford is a really nice city with some great buildings and sneaky caches! :rolleyes:

P.S. It's not particulary "car fiendly" so watch the one-way system and traffic wardens :blink:

Edit:- mis-spelt "friendly" but "fiendly" fits well enough <_<

Edited by nediam

I can highly recommend Oxford for a numbers day. Park and Ride is cheap - 60p to park and return bus for £1.90 and the car parks are all attended so your car will be safe. If you get there early, you can park right by the car park attendants little hut.

I second what has been said about getting in early to do the city centre caches. We had polished most of those off by 8.30am. Later, we returned to the car and drove around the caches which were further flung. None of them are especially far from the town centre, but it's a long way if you walk between them all.

I recommend bringing mozzie repellent if you susceptible, as Oxford is built on a series of swamps and ditches and I got bitten to death last weekend. Big brown hairy mozzies they were.

Finally, don't be put off by the cost, don't be put off by the time (an hour to find three caches is not bad!) but I highly recommend doing Dan and SP's Punter's Series, which provided an hour of hilarious fun when we did them and afterwards we wanted to do it all AGAIN!! Bring the printout for the fourth, bonus cache, as you don't get the chart if you are using a Palm.

i think a lunch time punt would be fun

We are thinging of starting at 18:00 doing some of the outlying caches then comeing into the town after the pubs have kicked out to start the town cntre caches.

A few hours kip then out at sunup which will give us at least 19 hours caching in total

Firstly, as the current holder of the record may I wish you good luck.

Without seeming to sound disheartened, there are a few more caches in Oxford now than when I did it.

A few tips. Take a bike and gps mount.

Don't get caught up in conversations with muggles. Wasted minutes on each cache count.

A bit of research before going out, one way streets and all that.

Start at one close to a parking spot and go in a sort of circle, getting back to the parking place. Don't just blitz in a wave.

There were a couple of caches where you didn't need to get out of the car.

As stated before, doing the centre of Oxford is a nightmare. I finished most of the caches before morning. Then met hundreds of people at around 6:30 am. Don't know where they came from.

I must say that I was completely exhausted when I did it.

One question. Are you doing it on your own or with a friend. Would the record be valid if one of you went to do one cache and your friend another at the same time.

I may be shot down in flames here but I think you need to visit ALL THE CACHES YOURSELF for the record to count.

As I said to seasider after I had finished. There is no way I'm doing that many again in a day. It put me off caching for a while as I was knackered and fed up. It turned into a bit of a chore towards the end of it.

Like I say good luck. It can be done.

Andrew

I may be shot down in flames here but I think you need to visit ALL THE CACHES YOURSELF for the record to count.

No shooting from here. That's how we did London. If it wasn't the case it could get silly.

T

Of course we all knew that. You two are joined at the hip. There was even speculation at the lakes that you two are siamese twins :lol:

Ricky007 has just txt me to say he is on his way over

1. Home work Done

2. Maps printed

3. Caches loaded onto GPS (all 4 of them)

4. File loaded onto PDA

5. Laptop charged

6. booked into the holiday inn just south of Oxford for tommorow night (with internet access)

7. sugary drinks and sweets purchsed

8. weather checked

9. boots cleaned (not!)

the hunt is on - will post tommorow evening with our first 6 hours body count

ps we will do all of the caches together :rolleyes:

Ricky007 has just txt me to say he is on his way over

1. Home work Done

2. Maps printed

3. Caches loaded onto GPS (all 4 of them)

4. File loaded onto PDA

5. Laptop charged

6. booked into the holiday inn just south of Oxford for tommorow night (with internet access)

7. sugary drinks and sweets purchsed

8. weather checked

9. boots cleaned (not!)

the hunt is on - will post tommorow evening with our first 6 hours body count

ps we will do all of the caches together <_<

just looked in a mirror

one thing I forgot was sun cream

yours redboy

it looks like the record may have been broken

On the 24th July  The Hurigan Hoopers  &  2C’s completed the following:

Caches found by bicycle: 50

Caches found overall: 54 

These were done on a circular bike ride based on the Kennet & Avon canal, Newbury & Greenham Common. We had been planning to do more than 50 by bike but 4 DNF’s put pay to that and my legs were too far gone to get any more by bike so we did 4 more by car to get the total of 54 in a couple of minutes short of  12 hours.

I will have a look tomorrow.

Edited by Deego