Lowrance Ifinder

I had an I finder for a while. It had a lot of really nice features but the one I had had the interchangable face which to me was a joke. The worst thing about it was that it was in no way water pruff or even resistant. I never had the maps for it so I can't comment on them. Over all I thought the one I had was nice but I wouldn't want to go into the woods with it.

Which iFinders are you referring to? The GO and GO2 are inexpensive (both under $100), but don't allow for PC connectivity which is a big negative in the mind of many, if not most geocachers.

The iFinder Pro, H20 and PHD are great units. A very good bang for the buck. See here and here.

THe Pro isn't waterproof, so I'd avoid that. Not sure about the PHD, but the H20 is waterproof.

Edited by briansnat
Which iFinders are you referring to? The GO and GO2 are inexpensive (both under $100), but don't allow for PC connectivity which is a big negative in the mind of many, if not most geocachers.

I would have to disagree with this statement, as I have an iFinder GO sitting on my desk right now connected to my computer.

I am testing it for a friend, so I don't know the source of the cable I am using, but it looks identical to a Garmin eTrex connector with a slightly different pin configuration.

I know I can send waypoints to it and I know I can get a position from it, so far. I don't have any Lowrance software, so I am kinda walking around blind right now, but definitely have some level of connectivity.

...I have an iFinder GO sitting on my desk right now connected to my computer ... I don't know the source of the cable I am using, but it looks identical to a Garmin eTrex connector with a slightly different pin configuration. ...

Yes, the iFinder Go/Go2 do have a connection port. But I haven't been able to get a straight answer from Lowrance as to what cable to use and what you can actually do with it.

I know it does NMEA communication. Don't know which software (if any) will let it upload/download waypoints, tracks, etc. Don't know if it supports (or will support) firmware updates.

If it can do those basic tasks, and if Lowrance ever makes the cables, software, and documentation readily available, then this GPS would be a killer in the $100 and under market niche.

Yes, the iFinder Go/Go2 do have a connection port. But I haven't been able to get a straight answer from Lowrance as to what cable to use and what you can actually do with it.

Itts for NEMA output according to the person I spoke with. It does not allow you to download waypoints, maps or anything else to the unit

I know I can send waypoints to it and I know I can get a position from it, so far. I don't have any Lowrance software, so I am kinda walking around blind right now, but definitely have some level of connectivity.

The tech guy at Lowrance that I spoke with would be very surprised to hear that. He told me in no uncertain terms that you could not load waypoints or maps to the unit. I may still have the e-mail somewhere. I won't be able to find it until I get home this weekend tho.

Edited by briansnat
Which iFinders are you referring to?  The GO and GO2 are inexpensive (both under $100), but don't allow for PC connectivity which is a big negative in the mind of many, if not most geocachers.

I would have to disagree with this statement, as I have an iFinder GO sitting on my desk right now connected to my computer.

I am testing it for a friend, so I don't know the source of the cable I am using, but it looks identical to a Garmin eTrex connector with a slightly different pin configuration.

Yo Greymane!

Would you please find out where that cable came from and provide the specifics of what you did connecting to it to dump waypoints to the unit?

From the GO's owner manual:

Com Port Configuration

iFINDER has one NMEA 0183 version 2.0 compatible communication

port, or com port for short. The Com Port Menu, which is accessed from

the System Setup Menu in Advanced Mode, allows you to configure the

communications port to send data to another electronic device, such as

an autopilot.

Menus for changing Com Port settings.

For connectors and wiring information for another device, consult the

factory; phone numbers are in the back of this manual.

Would you please find out where that cable came from and provide the specifics of what you did connecting to it to dump waypoints to the unit?

Yes, please do. If I could upload waypoints to it, I may just buy one of these.

Edited by briansnat

I have a ifinder H20, and I love it!! I have had it for a little over a month now. The reason I picked this unit over others is the mapping abilities. For a slight extra charge you can get a mapping software for your computer that is downloadable to your unit through SD memory cards. It can give you information such as the telephone number to a restaurant or where that certain street is. It was purchased at a local sporting goods store. 3 of the 4 employees I talked to there had a ifinder Pro or H20. If all you want to know is location, get something cheaper, but if you want the mapping cabilities, the iFinder Pro or H20 is the way to go.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me at DanLingg@gmail.com

Hey,

I did a Google search for "Lowrance iFinder interface cable" and came up with numerous hits for sites retailing these.

Hey,

I did a Google search for "Lowrance iFinder interface cable" and came up with numerous hits for sites retailing these.

Yeah, but there are an awful lot of different iFinders. This is particulalrly the iFinder-GO/GO2 and a function that Lowrance doesn't admit to as of yet.

Yes, there are "data cables" available for the iFinder GO/GO2. In fact Lowrance sells them as well, however you may be able to find one in the aftermarket for a few $'s cheaper.

The iFinder GO/GO2 "officially" connects to PC purely as a NMEA data feed to PC software. This is a one-way-only data transfer in which PC software can use the GPS as an external antenna so as to aquire a position. As far as I know, Lowrance has never acknowledged that data could also be sent *to* the GO/GO2, although there have been speculation & rumor. Greymane. if you know something more about this then please elaborate :lol:

So the iFinder GO can only link to PC for a NMEA feed. Still, it cost only $68 and is a tremendous bargain considering the power it posesses. If an upload data feed is important to you, step up to the iFinder Basic it starts at just $120, and also is capable of using SD/MMC data cards for TONS of onboard memory capability. Something even high-end Garmin users can only dream about :lol:

I had an I finder for a while. It had a lot of really nice features but the one I had had the interchangable face which to me was a joke. The worst thing about it was that it was in no way water PRUFF or even resistant. I never had the maps for it so I can't comment on them. Over all I thought the one I had was nice but I wouldn't want to go into the woods with it.

Pruff- dang I'm an idiot and there is the proof.

I love my ifinder pro for caching! The small navigation arrow superimposed on the Map page is the best geocaching inteface screen on any GPS on the market.

I usually enter manually, but mass-enter coords when I'll be in a region for a while--of course via the SD card.

I sure wish Lowrance would acknowledge geocachers more directly. There's no mention of geocaching anywhere on their site! They should stop adding music, voice-recorder and color and worry more about handheld software design and consider building in a 3+ MP camera. Wouldn't that be an awesome caching machine. Blow everyone else out of the water!, and finally place Lowrance on the geocachering gps map where it should be. You gotta love the brand new geocaching-friendly garmin models!!!

-Joel G.

... I am a big fan of my iFinder GO2 . I am less of a geocacher and more of a hiker but it serves me well . The built-in maps are great if you can read the tiny fonts ( I can ) and I connect it to my laptop when I travel ... it does a great job feeding my mapping software with the GPS data .

... good value if you don't mind entering waypoints manually .

... if anyone can unlock the secret of two-way communication this this data cable and existing software , please educate me .