Reporting Swag In A Cache

Yesterday while out caching, I hiked to a cache where the last log shown was November of 2004. Prior to leaving I read the previous log where people talked about what they left and what they took.

When I get to the cache I begin to read the log book and notice that the cache was found in May 05. The finder took a Susan B. Anthony Dollar and a TB and left a hotel pen. ( Not quite trading even or up).

On the way back I got to thinking what if I inventoried the caches and included the inventory in my found log. Would this be helpful? Would it be a waste of time? I know I have read that cache owners can send a TB to grave yard - would this help remove those travel bugs that have been lost from the data base or would it cause increased confusion?

Let me know what you think and please don't turn this into a SWAG Bashing thread.

Tanisdad

Edited by tanisdad
I wouldn't want to inventory some of the caches I find . . . I wouldn't know what to call some of that stuff. B)

Exactly.

When I placed my first cache I tried to keep a running list of what was in it.

The problem is that people call the same thing by different names. For example: Someone took a toy car out of the cache, but my inventory didn't show a toy car as being in the cache. Someone had placed a flashlight in the cache, but when Id did my maintenance check there was no flashlight in the cache. I later found out that it was a flashlight key ring that was shaped like a race car.

You can inventory the content if you so wish, or not.

Missing TB's should always be reported, each and every time by every cacher until it's removed from the cache page.

Many figure that since it was mentioned in an earlier post they don't need to mention it again. Then the MIA notice gets pushed off the page with subsequent logs and someone goes out thinking the bug is there and we start the whole process over. (Yeah, I know the bug or cache owner should remove the missing bug listing, but how often does that happen)

edit spelling

Edited by BlueDeuce
Yesterday while out caching, I hiked to a cache where the last log shown was November of 2004. Prior to leaving I read the previous log where people talked about what they left and what they took.

When I get to the cache I begin to read the log book and notice that the cache was found in May 05. The finder took a Susan B. Anthony Dollar and a TB and left a hotel pen. ( Not quite trading even or up).

On the way back I got to thinking what if I inventoried the caches and included the inventory in my found log. Would this be helpful? Would it be a waste of time? I know I have read that cache owners can send a TB to grave yard - would this help remove those travel bugs that have been lost from the data base or would it cause increased confusion?

Let me know what you think and please don't turn this into a SWAG Bashing thread.

Tanisdad

That idea would be great in a more "controlled" environment, but it's WAY to hard to keep up, especially if you own multiple caches.

I definitely mention if a listed bug isn't there (provided its exit isn't mentioned in the paper log, and people haven't been marking it missing for 18 months in the online log). I'll sometimes mention a specific item not being there, if there's a buffalo nickel or a shiny rock I especially wanted. Beyond that, I will mention if the swag looks exceptionally good or exceptionally tired, or if I spotted something exceptionally interesting that I didn't take.

I think a posted inventory is a good idea in some caches to let the owner and others know what is going on with the cache, and whether it needs to be restocked. I have done it a few times. To do it to every cache might be a waste of time, but on the other hand, if cachers know that someone might post an inventory after their visit, they may be more likely to trade up, than down.