Geocaching Pirate

EcoPit

I was trying to find a few more caches in Champaign, IL earlier this spring before moving back up to Chicago, and came across two that were empty except for a piece of paper which read "You have been plundered by the geocache pirate." (See Pipi's Linear Motion Hideout and Just for Laughs) So, someone was going around and stealing all the items, and even the logbooks, out of caches. And, it was clearly not a muggle who accidentally stumbled on a single cache. This jerk must check the website and use a gps to go find the caches. Isn't that terrible? Has anyone encountered this anywhere else?

The best thing to do in these cases is to email the cache owner directly (do not post notes to the cache page as it encourages the pirate due to recognition of their handiwork). Ask the owner to replace the contents without a note on the page and resume geocaching like nothing had happened.

If they don't get a lot of "OMG, someone stolez all the stuffs!!one1!" then they usually stop after a few caches.

This isn't the first time someone has done something like this and it will not be the last.

There are other things you can do to discourage this activity if it continues in the area even after simple replacement of the items...but start there because it's usually cheap and easy and efficient most of the times.

The best thing to do in these cases is to email the cache owner directly (do not post notes to the cache page as it encourages the pirate due to recognition of their handiwork).  Ask the owner to replace the contents without a note on the page and resume geocaching like nothing had happened.

If they don't get a lot of "OMG, someone stolez all the stuffs!!one1!" then they usually stop after a few caches.

Good point. Hopefully I will never encounter it again, but that is probably the best way to handle it if I do.

I wish i could agree with one of the above who stated that they always get bored soon and quit. We have had a cache pirate in this area that has been active for a couple of years. He/she takes great delight in stealing caches, stealing contents, or switching caches/ contents. It all depends on how he/she wants to play his/her games that day. We have to replace our caches about every 2 weeks.

Cache vandals ruin this game. There's always a spoiled sport, and these are those people trying to ruin the fun for others. They're probably reading these forums and get a kick out of it. But when they see something they enjoy destroyed by "people having a little fun" they understand what it feels like, and hopefully will stop. These kind of people are everywhere, just gotta deal. :P

Hmmm......... I wonder if it was TB Motels that got looted? :P I'd say so being that TB's are quote "Not trade items" its clear that someone must have gone to the cache and took all the TB's and the log since they are not Trade items. Thats why you should abide by T1L1 Rule. Take a TB, leave a TB. Take a log book leave a log book! :P

This happens all to often.  We do not refer to them as "pirates" because that title carrys a certain amount of respect.  Since they deserve no respect, the preferred term for these folks is "cache maggot"

Which is probably wonderfully effective at encouraging them to continue, and probably escalate, their antisocial behavior. "The game is what you make it." Congratulations, well done! :P

Edited by Yankees Win!
I wish i could agree with one of the above who stated that they always get bored soon and quit. We have had a cache pirate in this area that has been active for a couple of years. He/she takes great delight in stealing caches, stealing contents, or switching caches/ contents. It all depends on how he/she wants to play his/her games that day. We have to replace our caches about every 2 weeks.

Ever thought about "staking out" a cache with a shotgun and a load of rock-salt?

:laughing: I would almost prefer it if the cache maggot left a note. The first time my cache was looted, I thought maybe I had it in too easy a location so that someone might have stumbled upon on it. Then I reestablished the cache at a location where it could only be located by someone with access to the web site and a GPS. Within 10 days, it was trashed again. I think I may put it back in the same place with only a log book and a nasty note to the cache maggot. Edited by rblaw
Best just to lock this thread and not give anymore attention to this loser than has already been given.

:unsure: Do you think such people look for fame in the forums?

This IS a serious question asking for a serious opinion :laughing:

Yes. They obviously know geocaching.com. If people don't react in their local area, they can always stir up a little adrenaline here.

Best just to lock this thread and not give anymore attention to this loser than has already been given.

EcoPit - as the OP, you have the ability to close the thread. Please do.

This happens all to often. We do not refer to them as "pirates" because that title carrys a certain amount of respect. Since they deserve no respect, the preferred term for these folks is "cache maggot"

Even fly larvae are deserving of more respect than the insult of being likened to these sort of miscreants.