Should I Buy A Explorist 100???

Hey Everyone,

Im pondering on buying a GPS and due to who I have talked to and price range Im looking at the Magellan Explorist 100.

I dont want anything fancy, (well really I do) I just want a regular GPS that I can go out and find caches with. :laughing:

I would like somefeed back on this....Thanks Sir_Issac2 :ph34r:

I'd stay away from the eXplorist 100-300 and any other GPS that doesn't have PC connectivitiy. Not only does the lack of connectivity prevent you from uploading waypoints/dowloading tracks, etc, it also prevents you from being able to update the firmware on the unit, so if a problem is discovered, or new features are added down the road, you're stuck with what you've got.

If you want a cheap basic GPS, get a yellow Etrex.

I'd stay away from the eXplorist 100-300 and any other GPS that doesn't have PC connectivitiy. Not only does the lack of connectivity prevent you from uploading waypoints/dowloading tracks, etc, it also prevents you from being able to update the firmware on the unit, so if a problem is discovered, or new features are added down the road, you're stuck with what you've got.

If you want a cheap basic GPS, get a yellow Etrex.

I agree. Stay away from the 100.

In the budget category the yellow eTrex is a good choice, or the eTrex Legend is a better choice. The yellow is around $90 and can hook up to a computer, but doesn't come with the cable. Its a $30 add on. The Legend runs around $130 and comes with the cable included in the price. So if you add up the cost of the yellow eTrex and the cable, then compare it with the Legend there isn't much difference and the Legend is a far better unit.

Sir Isaac2:

Most experienced GPS users will tell you to get a unit with the abiility to connect to a computer. This is to accurately load waypoints, either just a few or many at a time. It also allows you to save waypoints, and do such things as load your track points to a map. Or create a route on a map (like Nati. Geo Topo) and transfer it to your GPSr unit.

If you stick with this hobby you will want this feature. If you have other hobbies you will want this feature (boating, fishing, hiking, etc.) Get a GPS with this feature now and you will not need to upgrade later. Don't worry about spending more and then not using the GPS -- they have a high resale value on ebay.

My wife loves her 100. Of course she has time to input coords as we(I) drive from cache to cache so that's not a prob. As a backup it's perfect and performs VERY WELL. I would have a tough time though without a PC interface on my primary GPS, a Magellan Meridian. A PC interface is very important if you will be caching alot.

I recently bought the Explorist 200, which, like the 100, doesn't have PC interface capability. Wish it did....but.....I'm learning a lot about GPS and geocaching with it at a very low initial cost. I'm sure I'll upgrade along the way, but I'm able to find a cache or two with the minimalist 200. I have no regrets about my initial foray into the GPSr world; you can accomplish a lot with very little.

I have not been caching long.. only found 24 or so of them, but I haven't had any problem doing so with my explorist 100. Granted, I have to enter the cordinates by hand, but thats not really too big of a deal... I just enter them, get them, and delete them. That way I don't have to worry about the cords.

My whole setup is a laptop with GSAK fairly updated on cords for a couple select areas, and a $20.00 cig lighter power inverter to keep it juiced. I use GSAK to create HTML files of all the cache's, and then export to the Delorme file type, with links to each of the cache's web pages (its an option in the export screen of GSAK, to add links to the HTML files) So, I then kill GSAK, and import the files to Delorme Street atlas 05. I can then use that when im driving around.. if I am near a cache.. I just click on it on the street atlas map and it pulls up the web-page for the cache. I then enter the cords into the Explorist 100, (about a 15 second process) and off i go, using the laptop with its GPS receiver to get me as close as possible.

It isn't as nice as having a good handheld GPS that shows maps, and can be plugged into the laptop to get the waypoints, map data, and everything else, but it works perfectly well for me.

And actually.. the explorist 100 seems to outperform many other receivers as far as accuracy... (Based on a couple different closest to the mark contests ive been in with it)

As a so called "newbie" to geocaching , I would hate to think that anyone would tell others NOT to get GPS units such as the explorist 300 etc. . Just because they do not link up to a pc does not mean they don't do the job . I guess it's just my opinion that someone SHOULD know how to put in coordinates into their GPS unit instead of just relying on a pc to do it for them . Isn't part of the fun learning about what your unit can do and how to do things yourself ? I guess I may be old school about this , I still do a lot of compass and map work , so may be biased . By the way , was doing this back in the early 90's , courtesy the US govt and did plenty of their form of geocaching . I guess what I'm trying to say is , you don't need to have a top of the line model to go geocaching , all you need is a functioning unit and a little knowledge . And before I forget , not everyone runs window$ , some of us would rather run other distros so the pc link would be worthless anyway . that's just my opinion , take it for what's it's worth .

I would hate to think that anyone would tell others NOT to get GPS units such as the explorist 300 etc. . Just because they do not link up to a pc does not mean they don't do the job . I guess it's just my opinion that someone SHOULD know how to put in coordinates into their GPS unit instead of just relying on a pc to do it for them .

... And before I forget , not everyone runs window$ , some of us would rather run other distros so the pc link would be worthless anyway . that's just my opinion , take it for what's it's worth .

When people (like the OP) ask for advice on which particular model to buy, it would be remiss for those of us who have used a variety of models for many years to ignore something that we've found to be an extremely important feature. And it goes well beyond entering a few coordinates since many of us use our GPS receivers for many other activities that require computer interfaces - recording hiking trails, keeping files of hunting spots and best approach routes, recording and comparing elevation profiles and fitness performance on a variety of running or cycling courses, exchanging GPS data with friends or others through websites, using the GPS with laptop-based navigation systems, etc., etc. There are a whole host of possible GPS applications that are inaccessible with a receiver that lacks a computer interface. Why encourage a newcomer to buy a particular unit that won't let them explore those possibilities when there are similar models that are not so restricted?

And I'd note that the interfaces (USB and/or RS-232) are by no means Windows specific. There are GPS applications written for a wide variety of operating systems incl. Mac, Linux, Unix, and others. There are also widely available resources on the interface protocols that allow you to develop your own applications on whatever operating system you may choose.

many other activities that require computer interfaces - recording hiking trails, keeping files of hunting spots and best approach routes, recording and comparing elevation profiles and fitness performance on a variety of running or cycling courses, exchanging GPS data with friends or others through websites, using the GPS with laptop-based navigation systems

Lets not forget firmware upgrades. With no PC connection, you're stuck with what the mfr. gave you when you purchased it. Any improvements that come via firmware will not be available to you if you can't connect to a PC.

Being able to backup your unit is also pretty important. I've heard of a few instances of units spontaneously erasing everything. Also, if you need to do a reset you'll want to back up all your waypoints first.

Edited by briansnat

I guess what I said was not stated clearly enough . In no way was I saying that people shouldn't buy the higher end models , just that you don't need them to to get introduced into geocaching . For some people a little goes a long ways . When I started shooting/hunting did I buy a $5000 wetherby ? no , i bought a simple ironsight remington. Now I own several high end rifles and pistols with numerous enhancements , but I started out low cost and minimal to see if I would like it first and learn what I could do with what I had . I am just saying that telling people to get more expensive and /or more technical models to start with may steer some away or get some to spend extra money on something that they find out they don't enjoy . lower cost units without pc interfaces do the job , and if someone really gets into it they can upgrade to a better model/brand .

I guess what I said was not stated clearly enough . In no way was I saying that people shouldn't buy the higher end models , just that you don't need them to to get introduced into geocaching . For some people a little goes a long ways . When I started shooting/hunting did I buy a $5000 wetherby ? no , i bought a simple ironsight remington. Now I own several high end rifles and pistols with numerous enhancements , but I started out low cost and minimal to see if I would like it first and learn what I could do with what I had . I am just saying that telling people to get more expensive and /or more technical models to start with may steer some away or get some to spend extra money on something that they find out they don't enjoy . lower cost units without pc interfaces do the job , and if someone really gets into it they can upgrade to a better model/brand .

Lets say you walk into a Jeep Dealer and like the Rubicon. The salesman takes stock of your family and there are two kids two adults and one on the way. That's 5. The Rubicon seats 4. He askes what you plan on doing with it. You say "Geocaching" with the family. He would be a moron if he didn't point out that that Jeep won't seat your entire family and someone is going to either ride illegally or stay home.

It's no different wiht the Explorist 100. It's got everthing you need to find a cache, just like the Jeep's got everthing you need to get to the cache. However it falls short of the job. If you buy the Explorist you will be upgrading or regretting your decision. Why would I want to reccomend a GPS that the odds are will lead to an upgrade that costs you more overall than if you just got a decent GPS to begin with? I'd be stupid.

The computer interface is as important as the sights are on your guns. I truly doubt your cheap gun didn't have sights or a safety. Some things are essential.

I guess what I said was not stated clearly enough . In no way was I saying that people shouldn't buy the higher end models , just that you don't need them to to get introduced into geocaching . For some people a little goes a long ways . When I started shooting/hunting  did I buy a $5000 wetherby ? no , i bought a simple ironsight remington. Now I own several high end rifles and pistols with numerous enhancements , but I started out low cost and minimal to see if I would like it first and learn what I could do with what I had . I am just saying that telling people to get more expensive and /or more technical models to start with may steer some away or get some to spend extra money on something that they find out they don't enjoy . lower cost units without pc interfaces do the job , and if someone really gets into it they can upgrade to a better model/brand .

Amen

There are a lot of Geocaching enthusiasts at this site, and that's a good thing! They offer a lot of skills and accumulated learned experiences to new arrivals. This in itself is a very helpful benefit. Unlike a lot of other emerging technologies like digital cameras, PDA's, camera-cellphones, etc.. "GPS" units really are a mysterious black box to the majority of people, even a lot who may already be considered outdoorsy types.

But I see a troubling recurring phenomena. There seems to be a recurring assumption that most every wet-behind-the-ears-newbie is gonna become a hardcore cacher in a short amount of time. And, it's your "noble intent" to prevent these unknowing newbies from making a fatal mistake of buying an entry level machine that they're "obviously" gonna outgrow very quickly...

We all have our preferred brands, and I myself like Lowrance products. And from their lineup I would wholeheartedly recommand ANY newbie to look seriously at Lowrances entry level models like their iFinder GO and GO2. Yes they do not connect to PC, please get over that :blink: But aside from that "massive oversight" they are incredibly powerful machines that are more than capable at performing Geocaching functionality. And accuracy, I would pit their modern 16 channel WAAS receiver technology against ANY other brand/model GPSr as far as performance ability in the field.

GPSr's like that are only $60-70. This is the very best and most economical way to venture into the wilds of GPS technology for the newcomer. Once they get their feet wet they can upgrade later ("if" they feel they need to). If they upgrade, their entry level starter GPSr will become either a trusted backup, or can be sold/given to friends, family, or whatever :(

Edited by IVxIV
I guess what I said was not stated clearly enough . In no way was I saying that people shouldn't buy the higher end models , just that you don't need them to to get introduced into geocaching . For some people a little goes a long ways . When I started shooting/hunting did I buy a $5000 wetherby ? no , i bought a simple ironsight remington.

And neither are we. There are GPS units in the same price range as the explorist 100 that DO have a data cable. We're just pointing out that the explorist 100-300 ISN'T worth the money you spend on it, and people would likely be happier with something else, even a different "starter" unit. No need to go top of the line, but no sense in starting with a bottom of the barrel unit, when there's better ones in the same price range. (Note, this isn't a slam against JUST the explorist 100-300, but ANY GPS that doesn't come with a data port/cable)

Did I mention that something like 95% of GPS users reccomend the PC Cable?

IVxIV. I'm going on a limb here and assuming you like 4x4's. If someone came to you and asked about an "Entry Level 4x4" for off road use would you point them at a nice model with a single speed transfer case? You may not tell them to get a Hummer but odds are you have some basic ideas about what anyone who is going to go off road needs even if it's just easy trails. Maybe they do it once, hate it and drive on asphalt forever on. It will still work for them.

As a so called "newbie" to geocaching , I would hate to think that anyone would tell others NOT to get GPS units such as the explorist 300 etc. . Just because they do not link up to a pc does not mean they don't do the job . I guess it's just my opinion that someone SHOULD know how to put in coordinates into their GPS unit instead of just relying on a pc to do it for them . Isn't part of the fun learning about what your unit can do and how to do things yourself ? I guess I may be old school about this , I still do a lot of compass and map work , so may be biased . By the way , was doing this back in the early 90's , courtesy the US govt and did plenty of their form of geocaching . I guess what I'm trying to say is , you don't need to have a top of the line model to go geocaching , all you need is a functioning unit and a little knowledge . And before I forget , not everyone runs window$ , some of us would rather run other distros so the pc link would be worthless anyway . that's just my opinion , take it for what's it's worth .

Well, *every* GPS receiver can "do the job" of finding a geocache... even the old ones that only count down to double decimal digits. They do the job, it just takes longer.

Therefore, since *every* GPS can do the job, there's really no need at all for a forum that discusses GPS Units, is there?

IVxIV. I'm going on a limb here and assuming you like 4x4's.  If someone came to you and asked about an "Entry Level 4x4" for off road use would you point them at a nice model with a single speed transfer case?

Yup RK good guess, I'm into offroading (4x4'ing, hence the IVxIV lol) and have spent a lot of money getting my already factory capable Jeep into an even more serious machine with lift kits, larger tires, differentials & other enhancements.

And when some "muggle to offroading lol" sees my rig and is interested in getting into the sport & asks suggestions, I will take the time to hear out their desires. If they (family) have already experienced the wonders of offroading and are pretty sure they are going to spend a lot of time doing it, I would suggest they look at something rugged like a Jeep Liberty that has good ability from the factory & potential for future upgrading.

On the other hand if they're mainly interested in just being able to park on the beach during picnics and perhaps try an easy logging trail once in a while I would suggest they consider something like a Honda CR-V, Ford Escape, Toyota Rav4, etc. Models that don't have low range trannies and limited upgrade potential. Yet they offer a much more comfortable ride for the family during their 99% urban usage, than would something beefier with live axles etc..

Similar to GPS recommendations. Most newbie inqiries here include little or no details, just something like "Hi I'm new & need a GPS. What should I buy". Not much to go on eh? :blink: My knee-jerk reaction is to suggest they spend MINIMAL $'s for an entry unit until they figure out what direction they're going.

And personally I would also recommend an iFinder GO or lowend Explorist because they just work GREAT out in the field (and under trees!). Stuff like Legends & etrex yellows don't work as good out in these conditions but DO have a data cable. Hmm,,, If I had to choose between a GPSr that works well under challenging conditions OR one that had a computer hookup, guess which one I'd want?

Stuff like Legends & etrex yellows don't work as good out in these conditions but DO have a data cable.

Stuff like Legends and yellow eTrexes work just fine under trees. I've used mine for years without problems under all kinds of conditions including heavy tree cover.

They've probably found more caches than all other units combined. Their popularity speaks for itself. If they didn't work, they wouldn't sell.

...Similar to GPS recommendations. Most newbie inqiries here include little or no details, just something like "Hi I'm new & need a GPS. What should I buy". Not much to go on eh? :rolleyes: My knee-jerk reaction is to suggest they spend MINIMAL $'s for an entry unit until they figure out what direction they're going....

I think that's where we differ. When they ask about a GPS for geoching, of even if they don't since they are asking on the geocaching forums, I tend to answer the minimal GPS that is GOOD for geocaching. Anything will work. It's like off roading. My Toyota Corolla has seen more off road action than a lot of SUV's, but...It's not the best tool for the job. BTW if they put that Liberty Diesel in the Rubicon Unlimited I would not have my project Diesel Blazer...

Wow , all these responses to the original post . I must say , after reading the post again , I still stand by what I originally said . I personally use geocaching as a way for my kids and myself to get out and explore the outdoors . The fact that there may be a "treasure " at the end of a hike is just a plus . I use an explorist 300 and it works just fine . My kids love the fact that they can put the coordinates in themselves and really have mastered how to use it . down the road we may get a unit with pc capability , but do we need it? Not really . If I want to load coordinates in a flash then race from cache to cache , maybe I need something better . I already use the exp 300 I have now for certain hunting spots as well as some scenic areas . Has always worked fine . I hope the people that are pushing the pc capabilities don't do that with everything else . I mean , if someone was interested in trying out golfing , would they recommend the Tiger Woods signature series or a lower end set of clubs to see if they really like it ? And what about people (like a freind of mine ) that doesn't have a pc? Does he buy the pc capable unit then have to spend the extra cash on a pc ? I have read alot of analogies involving jeeps and rubicons etc. but what all this boils down to is this . When someone asks for a simple unit just to do some geocaching people should not be pushing anything more than is needed for the task . After all is said and done , all the geocachers that I have run into and spoken with have said the same thing regardless of the gps unit they use , they all do it to get out and explore the great outdoors and spend quality time with their families . Isn't that what it's really about ?

Sorry if this seems like I,m a little gruff , but have been on the receiving end of "you really need this to do this " just to find out I didn't and ended up not liking it enough to stick with it ( golf clubs , skis, bowling balls) . Again this is my opinion (lol , except for the clubs , skis , and balls) .

..... I hope the people that are pushing the pc capabilities don't do that with everything else . I mean , if someone was interested in trying out golfing , would they recommend the Tiger Woods signature series or a lower end set of clubs to see if they really like it ? And what about people (like a freind of mine ) that doesn't have a pc? Does he buy the pc capable unit then have to spend the extra cash on a pc ...

If someone was trying out golf I'd probably reccomend they get some clubs that can take bashing the sod while they get their swing into shape. But then I don't know about golf so I'd ask someone who does.

If you wanted to enjoy a day in a new town and catch cache if one was nearby loading all the waypoints in 30 seconds is priceless. You don't need to use them, but then you didn't spend an hour looking at maps, keying in coords and double checking them. But then you don't really seem to understand why about everhone here gives the same advice. We don't agree on Garmin or Magellan, we don't agree on a compass or maps or anything else but we all pretty much agree on the need for the PC Cable.

Take it for what it's worth.

Oh and your friend can buy a garage sale computer for 50 bucks and have everthing he needs.

... would they recommend the Tiger Woods signature series or a lower end set of clubs to see if they really like it ?

Most of the recommendations were for models in the same price range as the eXplorist 100 - they were *not* for some extravagant model for lots more money. The basic eTrex is generally a few dollars cheaper than the eXplorist 100 and the eTrex Legend is a few dollars more. But both provide the capability of using a computer connection for all the advantages already listed.

Your eXplorist 300 sells for more than any of my GPS models, but due to the lack of a computer interface it wouldn't be suitable in most of the applications for which I use them. Geocaching would be the one thing that it would be reasonable for, but even there I certainly prefer to have the option of direct downloads. Someone getting their first GPS is probably not even aware of all the uses and which of those they might find interesting. Better to get a model that'll let them explore more of the possibilities, especially since it can be done for the same cost.

On the other hand if they're mainly interested in just being able to park on the beach during picnics and perhaps try an easy logging trail once in a while I would suggest they consider something like a Honda CR-V, Ford Escape, Toyota Rav4, etc. Models that don't have low range trannies and limited upgrade potential. Yet they offer a much more comfortable ride for the family during their 99% urban usage, than would something beefier with live axles etc..

Still you would at least tell them to get an actual 4 wheel drive vehicle and not a rear or front wheel drive? Right?

Similar to GPS recommendations. Most newbie inqiries here include little or no details, just something like "Hi I'm new & need a GPS. What should I buy". Not much to go on eh?  :D  My knee-jerk reaction is to suggest they spend MINIMAL $'s for an entry unit until they figure out what direction they're going.

Then why not an old second hand Garmin that only gives coordinates?

No, even beginners need a device that will at least grow with them until they are ready to decide hard-core or not, they may never become hard-core geocachers but will be importing/exporting their data to the PC sometime in the future (if only to see the pretty tracks in Google Earth :D )

You would recommend a computer has USB 2 now even if the person does not have a digital camera. Minimal $ must not mean buying crap.

And personally I would also recommend an iFinder GO or lowend Explorist because they just work GREAT out in the field (and under trees!). Stuff like Legends & etrex yellows don't work as good out in these conditions but DO have a data cable. Hmm,,, If I had to choose between a GPSr that works well under challenging conditions OR one that had a computer hookup, guess which one I'd want?

And here goes the flame war again, my Garmin 60C has whole day tracks under tree cover and in urban canyons without a single reception loss ... :D

We don't agree on Garmin or Magellan, we don't agree on a compass or maps or anything else but we all pretty much agree on the need for the PC Cable.

well apparently "we all" don't agree . i know that a GPS unit that has a pc cable can do much more than one that doesn't . If some one finds 2 different units at about the same price and one has pc ability , fine , buy the one that does . But , all I am saying is you don't "need " it if your just trying out the sport. I have never had one and I have done everything I wanted/needed to do with it . I spent several years in the army using gps . We needed to use it in order to find our food, ammo , and unit locations , and not one unit was pc capable . When units started coming out in the civilian market with pc cables I thought that was a neat little extra , but never got one intentionally because the need wasn't there . Would I buy one now? Well , when I picked up my explorist the ones that did have the data cables were more expensive , so I passed . As far as someone mentioning getting a pc at a garage sale for $50 , that missed the point . some people don't want a pc , and if you did that you just added $50 to the cost of your gps. Like I said before , I'm old school , I beleive if it ain't broke don't fix it . If you have something that works for you now , great , if your needs change down the road , trade up . in no way am I slamming data cables or any units , just saying that if there is a choice for someone just starting out , not knowing if they are going to stick with it , just get a model that does the job well , and if the prices are equitable between a non data cable and a data cable version , go ahead and get the data cable one .

Still you would at least tell them to get an actual 4 wheel drive vehicle and not a rear or front wheel drive? Right?

Yes I believe the CR-V, Escape, and Rav4 all offer 4 wheel drive. Perhaps not "true 4x4" without locking differentials, but all wheels do receive power.

And here goes the flame war again, my Garmin 60C has whole day tracks under tree cover and in urban canyons without a single reception loss ... :D

When did I say the Garmin 60C had trouble maintaining signal under trees? My comment was about the earlier black&white etrexes. I have no personal grudge with them (or any brand/model GPS, including Cobra LOL) but there are countless threads from lots of people reporting frustration with their B&W etrexes losing signal lock under heavy tree cover. Now perhaps "all of them" are just holding their receivers wrong I don't know. But it's uncanny how many of the signal performance complaints center around the etrexes. Yes I know someone in a minute will post about how his unit works marvelously in the woods, and I'm happy for that person :D It doesn't help the others who ARE having trouble though.

My basic point is I would prefer recommending a GPS to a newcomer that works well under all conditions. If some user already knows they want a GPS that has a computer hookup then fine by all means get one like that. But the true "entry level models" (iFinder GO's. Explorist 100-300's. etc) do have a valuable purpose on the market. And it's been proven that NEW GPSr's just work better in the field than older models do.

there are countless threads from lots of people reporting frustration with their B&W etrexes losing signal lock under heavy tree cover. Now perhaps "all of them" are just holding their receivers wrong I don't know

A lot of them. I've geocached alongside many eTrex owners who were holding their GPS the wrong way and complaining about reception.

I'm looking for a new gps, and I just don't know what use the entire Explorist series would have. The Magellan Sportrak has connectivity, and its $50 less than the Explorist 300, so I imagine that this is in the range of 'entry-level' gps. Connectivity isn't just important for geocaching --- if you mark anything with a lot of waypoints you want to store in your pc (a trail, cool places from your vacation you want to go back to, etc.) it would really bite manually entering 200 or so waypoints.

The upper level Explorists all have rechargable built-in batteries (from what I understand). What good is this when you've been on a trail for 8 hours and your battery goes dead? It's not like you can plug it into the nearest tree.

The upper level Explorists all have rechargable built-in batteries (from what I understand). What good is this when you've been on a trail for 8 hours and your battery goes dead? It's not like you can plug it into the nearest tree.

My 500 will run over 16 hours starting from a full charge, so one can get through a day or two's hiking in pretty good shape. Beyond that, the best solution seems to be to swap in a fresh battery, like you would with any other GPS. It is true that the Li-Ion rechargeables cost more than the NiMh AA's many of us use, but at $9 on eBay I decided one would provide reasonably-priced backup sufficient for my needs.