Tb's Placed In Virtual Caches?

jrnana & jrpapa

I can't remember if I've logged a bug in/out of a Virtual but I see absolutely no problem with doing that. One of the biggest problems I see with many cachers that pick up bugs is that they don't take many pics of the bugs they're moving--I realize that everyone doesn't have the means to do that. But, I think for the most part that cachers don't take pics because it takes additional time.

And, most of the bug owners would like to see pics of their bugs at different locations. So, actually if you're on a road trip with the bug and decide to log it in a virtual, so what. Especially if the cacher takes a pic of that bug at that location.

I honestly believe there doesn't need to be a ruling on this issue. I also believe that if you're moving a bug along a route and that includes noting and possibly taking a pic of where the bug has been is more showing the "true" mileage of the bug. And, that would be for logging the bug in/out of of a traditional cache for the "true" mileage and the overall experience of the bug.

My .02cents worth...AH!

All the virtuals I have been to have true milage. Virtuals have taken us to some awesome sites. So Yes, the true miles of TB's in our possision get their acurate milage and pic taken at the virtual location as well as the locationless caches we have done. The milage is correct as the TB's actual go to virtuals as do cachers. try one you will see.

I log a bug into and out of a virtual if I visit the virtual.

What i don't understand is people logging JEEPS virtually, it serves no purpose other than to frustrate those who get a notification and race out to retrieve it only to find it has gone.

Thanks fellow cachers! I guess I should have been more specific tho - I have seen some TB's "registered" into virtuals overseas or across the states - then back into this same area......How do you feel about that?

It depends on the alleged motive.

We could create a Virtual Reality Geocaching Game software and sell it to these people who are obsessed with getting miles for the TBs for the sake of just getting miles. Make it $33, which would be the same as paying for Premium Membership on a month-to-month basis for a year, and they can click away at Signal the Frog icons popping up randomly on a World Map (like gophers) and score points (acquire miles) when they score a HIT (found it!).

That'll keep them busy and prevent the Geocaching TB database from getting corrupted. :huh:

On a more serious note, there are a few "Virtual TBs" that just want to log visits to interesting Virtual Caches. Great idea, but the downside is that they have logged so many visits that it's hard to read through all the logs and get something out of them.

Lately, I have noticed some TB's are placed in (& out) of vitual caches - to allow mileage. Any type of ruling on this? I thought we were showing "true" mileage on TB's?

Some people trade bugs at Virtuals. A friend and I did this for kicks when the idea was still new and most didn't even know you could do that.

Others have personal travel bugs that they log in and out of every cache they visit.

And so on.

I'm w/you - a software packages allowing this type of "virtual jumping TB's" would possibly deter a few. I would think most cachers are interested in obtaining true mileage.

Can you please define for us what you mean by "true mileage"? If I'm on a road trip say from UT all the way down to FL, I've never felt "true mileage" for a TB was ever from, for example, Point A in UT to Point B in FL because that's as the bird flies. Like someone else mentioned, if it helps to drop/retrieve the TB along a road trip and take pics along the way, I truly believe that's more represenatative of "true mileage" and the owner really gets a truer picture of where his bug has been.

So, what's your definition of "true mileage"--straight line from A to B?

AH!

It's a set of line segments going from cache to cache as the crow flies. I used to calculate it programmatically (see my profile for mileage since I started) but am doing the personal TB thing in 2005 as a test, and because it's less work for me.

How do I feel about it ? The main thing I think is that folks want too many 'rulings' and worry too much about stuff that's not hurting anybody. There are far too many rules these days, my opinion is whatever the cacher (consumers?) think is cool is cool, pretty much.

I purchased the geocoin that's trackable, it's mine to set the rules for. I choose to use that code to track mileage of me, not 'it'. No harm, no foul.

Implementing software restrictions on something not hurting anybody, is more than a bit draconian in my opinion, and limits the many ways individuals can enjoy geocaching. No two people look at it entirely the same, and that's plenty fine.

GlobeCachers Posted on Jun 22 2005, 06:43 PM

The People dont read what type it is. so they look and cant find it... but they say they found it and put a bug in it.

Is that something like what happened to the one TB "Heart Of Loves " that you logged as having found 6/19/05 and the same day logged it into a cache

Nealy's Corners Sorry, you cannot view this cache listing until it has been approved
that hasn't even been approved yet?

Hello,

There's nothing sinister about taking a travel bug to a virtual cache, with one exception: DON'T LEAVE IT THERE. (Believe it or not, that's happened a few times.) But if a bug's goal is to visit war memorial monuments, for example, many of these are virtual caches and the way to show the bug fulfilled a goal mission is to log it into the virtual and then pick it back up for subsequent physical dropoff in a traditional cache.

Likewise, there's no problem dropping off a bug in a cache that has not yet been listed. If I hide a cache and drop off two travel bugs when I create the cache page, OF COURSE nobody else will be able to view the cache page until it is listed. Note, however, that some people prefer to wait until their cache is listed before dropping off travel bugs, because eager FTF hounds have historically used information from the travel bugs' pages to predict the location of the yet-to-be-listed cache.

I think logging visits to virtuals (and even micros) is a good way to keep tabs on where a bug actually travels, provided you remember to immediately pick it up so the players after you don't think there's really a TB hanging around there somewhere.

We're currently travelling with Squidward. We picked him up in Goose Creek, SC and visited a virtual cache on the way back home. Since he was with us at the time, we logged a "Virtual Visit" for him. (Unfortunately, we didn't have a camera to take a picture of him there. Of course, a photo might spoil the answers of the virtual cache for anyone industrious enough to look for it.) His tag says "He wishes to travel to exotic locales." That one was pretty exotic!

We're planning on dropping him off on our vacation in July, unless we can find a local cache he'll fit into. (He's a pretty big TB, and many of the caches around are either micros or "small".) We're planning on logging his visits to these smaller caches even if we can't leave him there. Since we can't log him as being at our house (no cache there ... yet :laughing: ) it's a way of saying, "He was in Lexington".

"Actual mileage" is rather subjective anyway. If you want actual mileage, check the odometer on the car from the cache where we picked him up to our family's house where we spent the night to the gas station to Wendy's to our house to the next cache we visit to the cache where we actually drop him off. And have everybody do that for every trip he takes. Not to mention, he doesn't get credit for mileage if we take him with us and DNF a cache, though my car certainly gets mileage added to it for that trip!

That being said, I think logging virtuals and micros is actually a better representation of the "actual mileage" a TB travels, assuming the TB really does go with you to those locations.

Edited by RandLD