How long between hiding and finding?

TheJester

posted May 24, icon_confused.gif

I'm new to the game and enjoying it thoroughly. I've had a couple of of finds, but so far, I'm drawn more to the hiding aspect of the sport. I've carefully considered each of the locations of my caches and hidden them well. But not so well that they can't be found. It's only been a week or 2, but I've had no responses yet. From what I've seen on the sight the visits can be quite sporadic. I am located in an area where there aren't alot of other caches. It does seem that other new caches seem to get a quicker response. Any thoughts?

quote:
Originally posted by TheJester:

<<SNIP>>I am located in an area where there aren't alot of other caches.<<SNIP>>

You seem to be in an area that doesn't have many cachers. I know a pair of cachers that are heading there for the summer. I'm sure you'll be getting hits soon.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

"If I build it they will come." Perhaps if I create enough caches out this way the whole area might become more attractive to cachers. It's definitely not the real world out here. I don't think I'm going to come across Jerry Seinfeld out on the hunt.

Hide them and introduce your friends to the sport. When I moved I moved to a cache poor area of the state. So I started hiding and introducing people and even soon the area was having a geocache renaisance and was growing by leaps and bounds. A lot of things came together for this to happen. My part was small. But it did happen. Now we are in another lull but I'm hoping the people I've been introducing will start placing caches and introducing people...

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

In my area, when I first started hiding caches, the first finds came quickly. Often several geocachers would meet meet each other on the trail the first day the cache was posted. I guess this was because there were a plenty of geocachers, but not a lot of geocaches.

This is no longer the case, so sometimes a newly hidden cache of mine can go as much as a week without a find. The area is cache rich!

You seem to have the opposite problem. I'd say keep placing caches and perhaps get your local newspaper to run an article about the sport.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

my very first hide has taken 5 weeks for a find,the second is going on 5 weeks without a single find so far.

It appears that there may be only 3-5 cachers that are somewhat active these days in the whole county.most caches here are placed and found by tourists and travelers.

Around here it's getting cutthroat. Everyone wants to be FTF and the dust hasn't even settled on a new cache before 4 people are racing to it.

===========================================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

TALK IT UP!! In just a short time I have been able to help plant the bug in three friends who now spend their weekends with family and friends getting out and seeing sights that they might never have known about.

"and why the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings"

quote:
Around here it's getting cutthroat. Everyone wants to be FTF and the dust hasn't even settled on a new cache before 4 people are racing to it.

For some reason, FTF's aren't a big deal in NJ. A new cache can go a few days without a find now. And it's not for a lack of geocachers, as we have a thriving community.

FTF's do seem to be a big deal in some regions. I've read of people heading out at 2 am to get a first find on a cache!

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

there are only two real FF whores in my area. the other guy is my usual partner, so we find a cache sometimes within hours of its posting. unless we have a race. or we're off FFW'ing in another area.

i got an email today from a new guy who sounds like we're going to have to race him from now on.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

My area is reasonably traveled, but it seems that all the caches are laid by two people and found by those two and two others. It's not a major problem- after all, the caches are outstanding- but it's representative of the area traffic. Some of these caches were dormant for 6 months or more before I picked up the sport two weeks ago. I can see why caches go unclaimed for so long- especially as remote and untraveled as my area is.

It's a shame, too, the Shawnee National Forest is a worthy place to get lost in icon_wink.gif

/Benjamin

Carbondale, IL

Caching Newbie

I like the extra challenge of trying to be first to find, I also like to find the cache exactly as it was originally hidden. I have to go out pretty far or pretty quick (sometimes both) to beat Bebubo (a first to find master), so that's what I do. In my area caches are almost always found well within 24 hours, of being posted.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

I think it also depends a lot on the difficulty level you set for a cache. Most cachers will avoid those 4.5 4.5 caches in favor of the ones that will take less involvement. Saying that one of my more difficult caches was found within 48 hours of my posting it. Of course it hasn't been visited since. I assume several feet of snow has slowed enthusiasm for that location.

Lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!!