Gps Help

Team LRS

Hi all

Im very new to this sport but got hooked straight away.Found two caches and need more help with my GPS.

I would like to know if there is anyone local to me (teesside UK) that could help me or even someone with this unit (GARMIN MAP60CS) help me online......so my questions are.......

How do i get a new map system onto this unit.......i have the Anquet map for my area but carnt find a way to upload it to the unit.

Also how do i plan a road route from my home to a place about 90 miles away (going on holiday) like to know how to get there.

Sorry for lots of questions but i dont understand when reading the manual.

Cheers all

you need to purchase the Garmin MapSource software in order to send maps to the GPS. No, that little item is not made clear in the book. You can then use this same software to plan routes. You can use other sofware such as GSAK to send wpts for caching.

go to the GPS and Software forum -- there is a thread dedicated to the 60cs.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

We have the oportunity to show the best maufacturers of GPSr's in the business how to make their systems even better. Here is an email I sent them today:

1-800-800-1020 sales@garmin.com Call them and email them, let them know what you think. If other Street Pilot III owners have found problems let us know Please.

Dear Garmin Sales dept.,

I love Garmin GPSr's! I don't like the incomplete and erroneous mapset on City Navigator. I wrote this in a recent Dry Creek Geocachers Yahoo Group Blog: 'There are gaps appearing in the Map Source City Navigator data set. Still after 3 years of me telling them that Yosemite Springs parkway connects to hwy 41, right at Lady Liberty, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c3-31a3cc657790 Their data map sets for both the Street pilot III and the new & wonderful Garmin Map 60 CS, still show an unworkable route going by Mama Loly's Pizza. Go figure?! They really need to improve their mapset data to live up to the exquisite machines and routing software that Garmin has produced.'

Here is a copy of an email I sent to your Cartography Dept.: "Dear Loy, et al,

I am extremely disappointed that the solution to the

problem I informed you of back in 10/5/03 is

apparently available but you guys want to charge me

$150 for what I already paid for when I bought the

Street Pilot III system. Right on the front cover of

City Navigator 4.01 is says "Contains premium detailed

maps throughout the U.S. and Canada, including

metropolitan and RURAL areas... Will automatically

create point to point routes in MapSource and Street

Pilot III."

Back in Oct/03 just before the release of City Nav.5, I

wrote you concerning inaccuracies in the Mapset and

gave specific examples ie: "The mapset shows Yosemite

Springs Parkway, coming in through what we know of as

the Blackhawk Lodge access rd. It doesn't connect to

Yosemite Springs Pkwy. Yosemite springs Parkway goes

West off of Hwy 41 at N 37° 09.321 W 119° 43.916

(WGS84) This is the N side of Yosemite Springs Parkway

& Hwy 41." We have been using this paved main road

since 1976. This is not off the beaten path.

You were gracious and said that it is the best we have

available and sent me the TOPO mapset which does offer

some detail where mines are and the elevation and

topographic information, but when I click on a road it

just says "Road", & it does not have routing

ability.In addressing the inaccuracies in the mapset

you answered, "In the larger metro areas of the US,

the NavTech detail is premium...NavTeq drives those

roads and field verifies them... In "other" areas

outside these metropolitan areas, the detail is

usually good, but it is not premium."

I remind you again, Right on the front cover of City

Navigator 4.01 is says "Contains premium detailed maps

throughout the U.S. and Canada, including metropolitan

and RURAL areas... Will automatically create point to

point routes in MapSource and Street Pilot III."

I'm really glad I didn't shell out another $150 and then find out the inaccuracies and routing problems are still there! You blamed Nav Teq, but Nav Teq provided accurate information on MapQuest for free.

I have recieved the City Navigator 5 update CD but the

site wants me to pay $150 for the unlock codes. All

the research I did before I purchased your system led

me to believe that updates were free. I was told that

updates were free, I did even update from 4.01 to 4.5

I think, for free from your site, but it did not

address the inaccuracies and routing problems I have

in this area."

I will not buy a new Garmin product until their Cartography dept. Improves and updates the mapset data for City Navigator to include accurate data for the Central California area including rural California. City Navigator hasn't kept up with the streets growing all around central California especially rural central California. I will also not buy a new unit untill Garmin includes a 5 year update subscription to real updates in Mapset data using routing through the new streets & roads. Don't get me wrong I love your system hardware and routing when it has accurate data to work with. I really want to buy the Map60CS But I won't... untill you address these issues. I wish I could afford Yao Ming in a commercial showing him getting lost on the way to Raymond, or following his Street Pilot routing right into a dead end by Moma Loly's Pizza on the way to Yosemite Lakes Park Clubhouse.

If you can afford to pay Yao Ming to act for you, you can afford to provide accurate map data to your purchasers for at least 5 years. $150/yr for City Nav updates is way too much especially when they don't address inaccuracies in the maps we use! :ph34r:

You can count on me spreading the news good or bad throughout Geocaching. Your product is too good to have bad maps! Please let me know what you intend to do about this. If you have been wondering about how to improve sales this is it. You have listened to Geocachers before and created the Garmin Map60 series. Listen to us again. Please! Sincerely, Frenchy the Miner

We have the oportunity to show the best maufacturers of GPSr's in the business how to make their systems even better. Here is an email I sent them today:

1-800-800-1020 sales@garmin.com Call them and email them, let them know what you think. If other Street Pilot III owners have found problems let us know Please.

Dear Garmin Sales dept.,

I love Garmin GPSr's! I don't like the incomplete and erroneous mapset on City Navigator. I wrote this in a recent Dry Creek Geocachers Yahoo Group Blog: 'There are gaps appearing in the Map Source City Navigator data set. Still after 3 years of me telling them that Yosemite Springs parkway connects to hwy 41, right at Lady Liberty, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c3-31a3cc657790 Their data map sets for both the Street pilot III and the new & wonderful Garmin Map 60 CS, still show an unworkable route going by Mama Loly's Pizza. Go figure?! They really need to improve their mapset data to live up to the exquisite machines and routing software that Garmin has produced.'

Here is a copy of an email I sent to your Cartography Dept.: "Dear Loy, et al,

I am extremely disappointed that the solution to the

problem I informed you of back in 10/5/03 is

apparently available but you guys want to charge me

$150 for what I already paid for when I bought the

Street Pilot III system. Right on the front cover of

City Navigator 4.01 is says "Contains premium detailed

maps throughout the U.S. and Canada, including

metropolitan and RURAL areas... Will automatically

create point to point routes in MapSource and Street

Pilot III."

Back in Oct/03 just before the release of City Nav.5, I

wrote you concerning inaccuracies in the Mapset and

gave specific examples ie: "The mapset shows Yosemite

Springs Parkway, coming in through what we know of as

the Blackhawk Lodge access rd. It doesn't connect to

Yosemite Springs Pkwy. Yosemite springs Parkway goes

West off of Hwy 41 at N 37° 09.321 W 119° 43.916

(WGS84) This is the N side of Yosemite Springs Parkway

& Hwy 41." We have been using this paved main road

since 1976. This is not off the beaten path.

You were gracious and said that it is the best we have

available and sent me the TOPO mapset which does offer

some detail where mines are and the elevation and

topographic information, but when I click on a road it

just says "Road", & it does not have routing

ability.In addressing the inaccuracies in the mapset

you answered, "In the larger metro areas of the US,

the NavTech detail is premium...NavTeq drives those

roads and field verifies them... In "other" areas

outside these metropolitan areas, the detail is

usually good, but it is not premium."

I remind you again, Right on the front cover of City

Navigator 4.01 is says "Contains premium detailed maps

throughout the U.S. and Canada, including metropolitan

and RURAL areas... Will automatically create point to

point routes in MapSource and Street Pilot III."

I'm really glad I didn't shell out another $150 and then find out the inaccuracies and routing problems are still there! You blamed Nav Teq, but Nav Teq provided accurate information on MapQuest for free.

I have recieved the City Navigator 5 update CD but the

site wants me to pay $150 for the unlock codes. All

the research I did before I purchased your system led

me to believe that updates were free. I was told that

updates were free, I did even update from 4.01 to 4.5

I think, for free from your site, but it did not

address the inaccuracies and routing problems I have

in this area."

I will not buy a new Garmin product until their Cartography dept. Improves and updates the mapset data for City Navigator to include accurate data for the Central California area including rural California. City Navigator hasn't kept up with the streets growing all around central California especially rural central California. I will also not buy a new unit untill Garmin includes a 5 year update subscription to real updates in Mapset data using routing through the new streets & roads. Don't get me wrong I love your system hardware and routing when it has accurate data to work with. I really want to buy the Map60CS But I won't... untill you address these issues. I wish I could afford Yao Ming in a commercial showing him getting lost on the way to Raymond, or following his Street Pilot routing right into a dead end by Moma Loly's Pizza on the way to Yosemite Lakes Park Clubhouse.

If you can afford to pay Yao Ming to act for you, you can afford to provide accurate map data to your purchasers for at least 5 years. $150/yr for City Nav updates is way too much especially when they don't address inaccuracies in the maps we use! :ph34r:

You can count on me spreading the news good or bad throughout Geocaching. Your product is too good to have bad maps! Please let me know what you intend to do about this. If you have been wondering about how to improve sales this is it. You have listened to Geocachers before and created the Garmin Map60 series. Listen to us again. Please! Sincerely, Frenchy the Miner

I think we got the message the last time you posted this.

you need to purchase the Garmin MapSource software in order to send maps to the GPS. No, that little item is not made clear in the book. You can then use this same software to plan routes. You can use other sofware such as GSAK to send wpts for caching.

go to the GPS and Software forum -- there is a thread dedicated to the 60cs.

cc\

Actually, you can also use MapSource to send cache waypoint to your GPS as well. MapSource can read GPX files.

Purchase of a CS60 might be in my immediate future. I'm on the east coast. Has the software problem been addressed? There's no way I want to purchase new software every year, so if that's the case, Lowrance - here I come!.

Tagamet

You don't have to buy new mapping software when the newer versions come out. That's up to you. It's not going to suddenly stop working, just because an updated version has come out.

Purchase of a CS60 might be in my immediate future. I'm on the east coast. Has the software problem been addressed? There's no way I want to purchase new software every year, so if that's the case, Lowrance - here I come!.

Tagamet

You don't have to buy new mapping software when the newer versions come out. That's up to you. It's not going to suddenly stop working, just because an updated version has come out.

I understand that, but I also don't want to purchase a program in the first place, if the data is significantly lacking.

Tagamet

Tagamet

I understand that, but I also don't want to purchase a program in the first place, if the data is significantly lacking.

Tagamet

The data is not significantly lacking. When you consider that the maps cover the entire USA its amazing how accurate they are. Are there flaws? Sure. You'll also find flaws with Lowrance and Magellan software as well.

Tagamet

Tagamet

What comes with the unit is a basemap. That means it has highways and major roads only. If you want detailed maps, they're additional.

Tagamet

Tagamet

What comes with the unit is a basemap. That means it has highways and major roads only. If you want detailed maps, they're additional.

Yes i too understand that the base map is just that........a basic place to plot waypoints etc...........i would like to know

How to put an Aquet map onto the 60cs using the USB cable as my laptop doesnt have serial port ??

Cheers

Yes i too understand that the base map is just that........a basic place to plot waypoints etc...........i would like to know

How to put an Aquet map onto the 60cs using the USB cable as my laptop doesnt have serial port ??

Cheers

Theoretically, only Garmin maps can be loaded onto a 60cs. There is a rather labor intensive work-around using a program called Send Map. A link to the thread discussion this is in question 4 of the map section of the FAQ.

You can't - sort of. All GPS manufacturers require that you use thier proprietary mapping software. Garmin's mapping software is Mapsource and you need to purchase that if you want the detailed maps on your GPS.

Your Aquet maps will not run on your 60CS. I did read about a way to hack your unit and force non propietery maps onto it, but doing so will probably void your warranty and I doubt many of the manufacturer's features will function properly.

Again you guys have helped me so much.

The only thing now is to find out why the prat in my local shop that i got the Garmin from said to use the Aquet mapping system (sold to me for £40) as its not much use to me. :lol:

Some shops are just out to screw anything they can from you..........So what mapping systems would you guys reccommend to me (dont forget im in the UK) for

1....street nav

2....4x4 Off roading

Cheers all

The only thing now is to find out why the prat in my local shop that i got the Garmin from said to use the Aquet mapping system (sold to me for £40) as its not much use to me

Anquet, National Geographic Topo! and other "GPS compatible" mapping programs will talk to your GPS. You can create waypoints and routes on a map and transfer them to a GPS. You can also transfer your waypoints and track routes from your GPS and plot them on the map. Because they are advertised as GPS compatible it confuses some well meaning salespeople and even some GPS users. I think the makers of these programs are to blame because they aren't clear on this.

I'd say keep the Anquet program if you can afford to. It looks like a pretty good one. The Anquet maps are much more detailed than the Mapsource maps and they have topographic information. I don't believe Garmin has a topo mapping program for Europe, so you will find Anquet to be useful in planning your cache hunts. You can load cache waypoints into it and plot them on it. Then using the maps you can determine the best route to follow for your day of geocaching. You can even draw a route on the map, upload it to your GPS and follow that.

If cost is an issue, then return it and buy Mapsource City Select- Europe, but if you can afford it, having both Anquet and Mapsource can be helpful. Especially because there is no Mapsource Topo for Europe that I'm aware of.

There is also a Mapsource Metroguide Europe, but because your 60CS does autorouting, you will want to take advantage of the autorouting feature in City Select. Metroguide is similar and a bit cheaper, but does not support autorouting.

Edited by briansnat
The only thing now is to find out why the prat in my local shop that i got the Garmin from said to use the Aquet mapping system (sold to me for £40) as its not much use to me

Anquet, National Geographic Topo! and other "GPS compatible" mapping programs will talk to your GPS. You can create waypoints and routes on a map and transfer them to a GPS. You can also transfer your waypoints and track routes from your GPS and plot them on the map. Because they are advertised as GPS compatible it confuses some well meaning salespeople and even some GPS users. I think the makers of these programs are to blame because they aren't clear on this.

I'd say keep the Anquet program if you can afford to. It looks like a pretty good one. The Anquet maps are much more detailed than the Mapsource maps and they have topographic information. I don't believe Garmin has a topo mapping program for Europe, so you will find Anquet to be useful in planning your cache hunts. You can load cache waypoints into it and plot them on it. Then using the maps you can determine the best route to follow for your day of geocaching. You can even draw a route on the map, upload it to your GPS and follow that.

If cost is an issue, then return it and buy Mapsource City Select- Europe, but if you can afford it, having both Anquet and Mapsource can be helpful. Especially because there is no Mapsource Topo for Europe that I'm aware of.

There is also a Mapsource Metroguide Europe, but because your 60CS does autorouting, you will want to take advantage of the autorouting feature in City Select. Metroguide is similar and a bit cheaper, but does not support autorouting.

Hey Many thanks for the detailed info.......something for me to look at now.

More money LOL

I own a Garmin 60cs and a Magellan SporTrak Pro. I also bought the mapping software for each unit. I found it interesting to note that the same errors were on each peice of software. It was only later that I learned that they have to purchase their maps from a third party. It only makes sense. They do not have the resources to map the whole country, and that is not their primary business anyway. So don't blame them. It should also be noted that Garmin solicits information about inacurate maps so they can have them corrected in future additions. I don't know if Magellan does the same thing, but would not be surprised.

;)