New Logless, Containerless Rock Cache Type???

fishnthesea

I'd like to propose that another type of geocache be added - a ROCK cache. It would not have a container or a logbook. It would consist solely of a hidden collectable rock. People who found the site could either: 1) log it at geocaching.com, 2) photo it and submit the photo of the present rock, and/or 3) trade it for another collectable rock.

In the log page it would be noted that people who exchanged a collectable rock for a "leaverite" have destroyed the cache. Leaverite is a rockhound term for a rock you leave right where you found it (another rockhound synonym for Leaverites not suitable or all is "love stone" - just another *** rock) have destroyed the cache. The beauty of this type of cache is that non-locals could initiate one, and anyone who is willing to hide another collectable rock at the site could ressurrect an archived/destroyed cache. I think these would be popular, natural attractions for kids and rockhounds and would add to the enjoyment and flexibility of the great game of geocaching.

What do you all think?

fishnthesea

Edited by fishnthesea

I hope you have more success than I had when I suggested the "small animal" cache type. Due to the rigid rules of this site, which stifle my creativity, I instead need to leave my signature hamsters in existing geocaches. You might find yourself shoehorned by "The Man" into the same restrictive corner of the caching world.

At first I thought you were joking, but after reading your post I think it is an interesting idea.

However this would fit better with geocaching as a trade item instead of a cache in its own right. I'm not sure what benefit you would get out of a rock find over a cache with a rock inside it, other than highlighting the idea.

I have already found rocks in caches. One geocacher paints rocks to look like animals, for example.

I hope you have more success than I had when I suggested the "small animal" cache type. Due to the rigid rules of this site, which stifle my creativity, I instead need to leave my signature hamsters in existing geocaches. You might find yourself shoehorned by "The Man" into the same restrictive corner of the caching world.

Hey Lep...you could always put a rock inside the hamster! That way they would not jump out of the cache so quick.

They only problem I could see happening, is that the rock would somehow stand out because it is out of place for the area and therefor it would be subject to being taken by someone other than a cacher. Also this type of cache is too easily moved by slides, mud etc. It would be too problematic.

Wow, I'd have expected better than that from a mod. :unsure:

At first I thought you were joking, but after reading your post I think it is an interesting idea.

However this would fit better with geocaching as a trade item instead of a cache in its own right. I'm not sure what benefit you would get out of a rock find over a cache with a rock inside it, other than highlighting the idea.

I have already found rocks in caches. One geocacher paints rocks to look like animals, for example.

Or..what we placed - Box of Rocks.

Not too many have found it because it is way out at a very special place.

I hope you have more success than I had when I suggested the "small animal" cache type.  Due to the rigid rules of this site, which stifle my creativity, I instead need to leave my signature hamsters in existing geocaches.  You might find yourself shoehorned by "The Man" into the same restrictive corner of the caching world.

Wow, I'd have expected better than that from a mod. :unsure:

Translating my post:

Leave the rocks in existing geocaches.

There, I hope that's better.

I'm rather partial to bunnies, myself, lep. :D

When we first started caching 3 years ago, we wanted to have a sig item. We came up with the nice idea of taking pretty stones from some place that we had traveled to, put them in a local cache, and see if they could make their way back to the place that we had found them. We put our first stone in a nice clear box, with a little note, and put it in our first cache placement. The stone has sat there for 3 years now. :)

I'm rather obsessed with pretty rocks and stones. Just come to my house and you'll see just how obsessed. :unsure:

Wow! I didn't expect comments to roll in that fast. I definitely take after Lucy, but have found it fun to hide them, too, these past few years. I don't leave them out in the open any more than I would a new geocache container. As far as mudslides go, one I hid did get buried by 4 inches of volcanic ash, but any concern here applies to any geocache. The one I hid at Small but Majestic has a good enough clue that it can be found, but I have taken pictures of most hides so it isn't impossible to find them. I like the containerless, logless aspect for several reasons, including it is quite environmentally friendly. I guess the drawback is people could cheat (God forbid!) and claim they found it when actually they didn't. I don't know why, and maybe it should, but somehow, that doesn't bother me very much :unsure:. A rock cache is just a way of leaving a touchstone in a place one's visited and would like to come back to someday. Other than the odd virtual-cache, or going through the process of finding a local to caretake one, travelers to new places have no way to fill in a geocache gap that this new ROCK cache could fill.

Edited by fishnthesea

Rocks don't need no stinkin' container and they don't need a log - heck, they're rocks. Rocks are cool and they've been around a lot longer than us :laughing:. I'll keep hiding them and find ways of leaving clues, thanks for your permission. They're used to being outside in the rain and wind - doesn't hurt them a bit! A lot of replies on this thread makes no sense to me, either. Robspierre: I know by looking at your picture that you eat over a ton of rocks every day. uperdooper: watch out! one of these days you're going to be stolen off somebody's front lawn. And Team Perks. Good work figuring out geocaching! Are you 3 clones? :laughing:

Edited by fishnthesea

I've had a similar idea with coins. It still gives you something to find, but there is no log. You trade coins or tokens for your own and log your find online.

There is potential in your idea, it gives new directions for the game. You never know which one will take off. I had the coin idea several months ago when I found on on top of a rock in the middle of nowhere. Since then I've just put it on my list of ideas for caches and done nothing with it. However the South Carolina Legislation is creating a value for alternate methods to participate in geocaching. A collecable rock is easier to come by than unique coins is one place your idea has an advantage.

Edited by Renegade Knight