Article In Christian Science Monitor

NorStar

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0523/p11s01-ussc.html

The article talks about how security concerns have led to an increase in security and law enforcement accosting individuals taking pictures of anything public, including subways, potholes, and school buildings. It also lays out some guidelines on what is legal and what is not legal (generally, as long as you are not trying to look IN or THROUGH a building, you can take any pictures from a public area).

I would like to know exactly where this so-called attorney gets this "CONSTITUTIONAL right" to take photographs that he refers to. Maybe if I email him he can show me where the Constitution guarantees me the right to photograph anything.

I agree that it is an implicit right, because it is not specifically denied, but it is most certainly not a right granted by the Constitution.

Go for it. I just provided the link. I'm not a constitutional lawyer (or any kind of lawyer). ::huh::

I'm just an engineer.

But - is it possible it might have something to do with freedom of the press? :huh:

Or maybe if something is not specifically against the law, then it is legal? :P

The Ninth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The preamble is also very clear that one of the basic objectives of The Consititution is to “provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty”

You could draw the conclusion therefore, that taking photographs in most situations would be a right guaranteed under the Constitution. But where it endangers our “defence” or “welfare” it could be regulated and often is.

I’m not a lawyer but I guess I'm entitled to my opinion (even if ill-informed) under the Constitution.

Yours aye,

I think everyone takes things too far sometimes.

I got met by the Secret Service in front of the White House right after 9/11.

I was surrounded and asked most specific,what I was doing with that GPS and what I was doing in front of the White House.

I replied most specific,

I was a geocacher/benchmarker and the Mile 0 and the Meridian Stone were benchmarks.And that there are 2 geocaches there as well.

And that I was in "SEARCH OF" these and other monuments in the area.

I as always...Had the data sheets.but was still inspected to the imf detail.

I mentioned I was a part of the USA Freedom Corps and the National Map as well.

Which I showed him.

He then took my I>D> to another agent who in turn dissapeared.

I always have 2 GPS's as well,I was asked when the other one had last been initialized,I told him Home in Barry County Missouri...At or about the time he got it on and initialized the radio and other agent said it was Barry County and I was clear.

I still had to empty my daypack completly in front of the White House.

The other agent then appeared and I was told I could visit any unrestricted site.

I for one am glad they pay attention to some things,

I could get upset at the Secret Service but why,thay did their job,and only delayed me shortly.

For the price of delay and being truthful about who you are and what you are truely doing goes a very long way and it may even get you special privelages...who knows??

I found out why(the security was tight) upon return from the trip to Washington D.C.........

All the Original 100 Founding documents were being placed on display at the very moment I was outside the front of the Whitehouse,playing with a GPS.

Imagine what they really must of thought in a worst case scenario.

And I for one believe that "If it is not a security risk place" we all as Americans have a right to see,photo,preserve and enjoy our National Monuments.

...And I for one believe that "If it is not a security risk place" we all as Americans have a right to see,photo,preserve and enjoy our National Monuments.

I'd go one further and say that a lot of places that are a security risk we should be able to go about our business. The Hoover dam for example. It's a tourist attraction, high security, an engineering marvel, and open to the public.

Why do I feel that I'm living in a police state? I guess that's the modern world, and we need to learn to live with it, even if the police are rather arrogant, and not too bright. Oh, well.

Port Authority of New York and New Jersey... Taking photographs is strictly forbidden on any PA bridge or in any PA tunnel. I haven't figured out the logic here, since I can take photos underneath the bridges! KU3940 The Bronx-Whitestone Bridge from Francis Lewis Cache.

I could not find KU1451, though I could walk under : The Triborough Bridge.

I went looking for KU1425. This is a magnificent building, but had been turned into a community park. Municpal Asphalt Plant. We were questioned by a gurd here. He seemed satisfied by our explanation. We could not find the benchmark. Oh, well.

Most recently, I arouse suspician taking a picture of a benchmark in Eisenhower Park in Westbuty, LI, NY. One worker spoke to another who came over to check out what I was doing. "Are the coordinates close?" "Within eight feet. Not bad for a GPS."

Oh, well.

GEO you certainly find yourself in some interesting situations :unsure:

Yes I do!

But then I have found some very interesting marks.

And met some very unique people.

I found an Old sign when I was a kid,a porcelain one that has an ad for

Lipton Tea of all things.

I love the quote and it has been my motto.

Honest Tea is the best policy.

And I still hhave it believe it or not.

terracaches4yl.th.jpg

Why do I feel that I'm living in a police state? I guess that's the modern world, and we need to learn to live with it, even if the police are rather arrogant, and not too bright. Oh, well.

Harry,

<Smiling Widely> You feel this way, because you _are_ living in a police state.

Simply convince as many Voters as you can that many of these clamp downs on the civil rights of Americans are silly and unnecessary restrictions that are saddling and burdening the freedoms of taxpayers, so that they will see the need to vote the current crop of politicians who believe all this restriction is necessary, out of office. The new ones will be likely to reinstate many of the freedoms we once enjoyed. It is just a hunch I have :-)

Until then, The best defense we have in the face of Homeland Security interrogations is a REAL Paper copy of the NGS Datasheet in our hand while hunting. For added points, a few recoveries in the NGS Database with your initials by them as corroboratable proof that you do what you say you do can be helpful. Your initials in that database will still be there in 200 years from now. Proof you did what you did does not come much more everlasting than that. It will out live us by lifetimes.

Electronic Benchmark hunters please note. I am not down on your gig here, but your e-file is not going to carry the weight with authorities, that the printed piece of paper will, so think about that if you plan on hunting near sensitive areas, ok?

Rob

On the other hand, I work for the Dept of Homeland Security & when I get stopped (which I often do) I pull out my ID and tell them I am checking on benchmarks in the area. Funny how often I am allowed onto "restricted" areas! :)

I will say though, that carrying the printout will help out. Most authorities won't even know what it means but unwilling to look dumb will usually allow you to go on your way after looking at it. :unsure:

Edited by Crusso

Re Port Authority bridges and tunnels -- many bridges and tunnels are not up to current standards for pedestrian walkways, I'm sure you can think of a few near you. They don't want you standing around on them, or stopping your car on them for fear of causing an accident, not because of the photos.

This is strictly a post-9/11 decision. The Lincoln Tunnel has no pedestrian sidewalks. "Taking pictures is strictly forbidden". The George Washington Bridge has an excellent pedestrian walkway. Photography is forbidden. And, as I mentioned, the Triborough Bridge has a police officer stationed to prohibit access near the abutment where the cables of the bridge are anchored, to prohibit access to the abutment. Though, someone did find that benchmark the month before we were there... PA must have heard that we were coming...