Contraband In Caches

I am sorry guys but i have to disagree with all of you. From my back ground (i am studying BSC Outdoor Recreation) i am fully aware about being prepared, but i am also (unfortunatly) aware of how little preparation is taken by some groups when attempting mountains.

For instance:

A school group was walking on Cairngorm last year when they got into difficulty. Search and rescue were called but could only be told that they were "on a mountain without a map" so not grid reference could be given. S&R took 4 hours to find the group and upon arrival were asked "What took you so long?". The group where were from a local private girls school, were all wearing high heels, had not maps or compasses, or even rain coats. This is mainly because the school had not issued kit lists for the expedition planned.

SO:

If a school is this badly prepared, i am sure that (SOME) geocachers could be attempting caches in such a manner. Thus by helping them out with matches or lighters in extremely isolated areas, such as the top of ben nevis or in the middle of dartmoor, it could be the one thing that saves their life.

I saw above that someone asked what they would burn? Well i belive that ben nevis is a micro cache (film holder), well if i was desparate enough i would light the log book and put it inside the cache so that the cache burnt! Simple.

I saw above that someone asked what they would burn? Well i belive that ben nevis is a micro cache (film holder), well if i was desparate enough i would light the log book and put it inside the cache so that the cache burnt! Simple.

...is it me??? :o

I've been caching since January of 2001 and I think I've found pretty much every banned item there is. Mind you, back then I don't think there was a banned item list per se. Some of the more memorable ones:

- lighters -one I kept as it was quite something! :-O

- cigarettes

- complete 12 CD collection of maps for GPS

- copies of copywrited computer software

- candies

- rolling papers (all stuck together from moisture)

- condom (fruit flavoured)

- razor blades

- bullet (.22 cal live round)

I've found (and left) plenty of pocket knives in caches. I think these are on the banned list but I have so many of these nice Brazillian made ones to get rid of. :o

Cheers!

C-A

what would happen in the event of someone accidently finding a cache with matches or a lighter in it and setting fire to a moorland or heath, or whatever.. if a person was caught doing this and said they got the matches from a box in the bushes. press gets hold of the story geocahing .com written all over the box and the geocachers are blackened.

More likely that a fire would get started by a cacher (or a normal walker) who smoked.... and then threw away a ciggy that wasn't quite out.

...  sharp objects like screwdrivers....

I've picked up screwdriver multi-tool (no knife blades) and I've left a set of small screwdrivers, it never occured to me that these might be contraband. ;)

If screwdrivers are contraband, what about pens and pencils? (A point ( :o) someone else has already made, I think..!)

Can someone point me at a published set of guidelines, cos the geocaching.com FAQ only mentions the obvious (knives, firearms, explosives, alcohol and food) and I'm unclear as to whether the UK has different rules?

If screwdrivers are contraband, what about pens and pencils?

At present our local cub pack allows the cubs to use pens and pencils with just the normal amount of supervision .

Screw drivers are only used under 1:1 supervision .

Edited by t.a.folk
Can someone point me at a published set of guidelines, cos the geocaching.com FAQ only mentions the obvious (knives, firearms, explosives, alcohol and food) and I'm unclear as to whether the UK has different rules?

I'm afraid I can't :o

The items mentioned on the GC.COM website are the real no-no's

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because food items (or items that smell like food) are in the cache

Apart from that I'd suggest that good old fashioned thing called "Common Sense" should guide you.

:)