Gsak Help

Team DEMP suggested starting a thread about this, so here goes...

I guess I'll compare this to using Excel, since it's closer to GSAK than something like Word. When I'm working in Excel (.xls) and want to open a new file, it opens in a separate window and does not change the current file. I can go back and forth between windows moving data from one to the other. In GSAK (.gpx) when I open the program, it already has data in it from the last time I was working on it. Normally this is fine, but sometimes I want to load a different file (like the latest pocket query). Since the current file isn't automatically saved, I have to go through the extra steps of exporting it to the correct format (.gpx). Then I can load the new file and hope I don't forget to check the "erase all" box or the new file will just merge with the existing one. I guess what I'm looking for is to be able to run GSAK and load separate .gpx files without having to clear everything first.

Another thing I like to do with my data is to update the coordinates to multicaches I'm working on. I've tried checking the "don't update" box, but I don't think it's worked properly. I've tried saving the 2 or 3 multicaches as a separate .gpx file then adding those to my most recent pocket query, but then I get the correct coordinates with old logs instead of the correct coordinates with the latest logs. I think what happens is the "new" pocket query updates the coords I've saved. I want to keep the old coords (since I've updated them) and only get the newest logs from the PQ. Maybe there's an easier way to do this, but I haven't found it yet.

Can someone help me with a macro or something to load my new pocket query and update the multicache waypoints so I don't have to do this manually?

When I get a new PQ, I load it into GSAK erasing all existing data. Why? I want to make sure archived caches are removed. Is there a better way to do this? The way it is now, if I keep the old data, then update it with a new PQ instead of erasing it, my database increases from 500 caches to add any new ones, but it doesn't delete any of the archived caches. The only way to get rid of those is to start with a blank database, right?

Sorry this is all a bit jumbled, if you aren't sure what I mean by some of it, just ask and I'll try to explain it better.

For the first thing, just create a new database to load your new GPX into, if you don't want them to be combined.

Second, use the Corrected Coordinates dialog instead of updating the coordinates in the Edit Waypoint dialog. Corrected Coordinates will never get overwritten by new GPX loads, while the logs and other information will get updated.

Third... not sure what you're asking. Do you just want to import a PQ GPX file, or are you asking how to update individual waypoints with information from the logs or something?

Fourth, since archived caches are not included in any pocket queries, there's no way to automatically remove them from your database. I find that normally a cache gets marked disabled before it gets archived, so I periodically filter on only disabled caches, then check them individually on the site using the right-click menu to see if they're archived or not. There's probably an easier way and I know there's been a couple threads about this exact issue in the past.

Hope that helps.

I have several databases for different regions and I put the appropriate PQ in its database. I don't delete the data because each .gpx file updates the logs so I can have more than the usual four if the cache has been updated and found several times since the first time I put it into my database.

I also have several databases in Cachemate in my Palm M500. Within the largest database (San Diego Metro area), I also have several zipcode folders to make it easier to look for the cache (There are more than 500 caches in that database.)

I am a real newbie at this GSAK/database stuff, but it has been fun experimenting and gradually learning a little bit about the program.

Macros and a LOT of other stuff are still WAY beyond my capabilities . . . B)

I have to wonder how you're using GSAK that you'd want to start a new database (excel sheet in your example) all the time? It's really easy to identify archived caches. Just click on the heading labeled Last GPX and it will sort by that date. If you want to only see caches you have not found that might now be archived, click the Filter icon and uncheck the Found check box. Now everything show in GSAK are only unfound caches. Then click on Last GPX and anything before the most current date are either archived caches or ones that might be outside the range of what your PQ had in it last.

I have 1 database that I use. I have a PQ that runs Thurs, Fri and Sat to deliver the 500 closest not found caches. I have a database that runs Sun-Mon to deliver a PQ of new caches in the last 7 days. I have a PQ that runs Sun & Mon to deliver me the caches that I've already found. Those 3 PQs are drag/dropped onto GSAK to keep my database up to date.

Normally the only time I'd create another database would be if I'm looking for caches outside my 500 closest. I'd then generate a PQ for that, have it sent to me and create a new DB from that. I'd then "log" my finds into that database, filter on caches I've found and then copy those waypoints (Database / Copy) to my regular database and delete the temporary database.

For multi caches, I save the stages in the Notes section for a given cache.

Edited by Team DEMP

I'm sure there is a better way to do it than the way I've settled on . . . I'm very new at this.

However, there are more than 4000 caches in the San Diego area. B)

I live about 30 miles east of San Diego in the back country.

It just seemed easier to put the PQs for the back country caches to the east and north of me in their own database instead of having to run a filter to get them out of the Metro San Diego PQs.

As I get to know more about GSAK, I might get more efficient at this, but for now, this is working for me . . .

For the first thing, just create a new database to load your new GPX into, if you don't want them to be combined.

Second, use the Corrected Coordinates dialog instead of updating the coordinates in the Edit Waypoint dialog. Corrected Coordinates will never get overwritten by new GPX loads, while the logs and other information will get updated.

Third... not sure what you're asking. Do you just want to import a PQ GPX file, or are you asking how to update individual waypoints with information from the logs or something?

Fourth, since archived caches are not included in any pocket queries, there's no way to automatically remove them from your database. I find that normally a cache gets marked disabled before it gets archived, so I periodically filter on only disabled caches, then check them individually on the site using the right-click menu to see if they're archived or not. There's probably an easier way and I know there's been a couple threads about this exact issue in the past.

Hope that helps.

I've never messed with the database options before, wasn't really sure what it did. Now I have one for my local PQ and another for finds, since those will never be merged.

I tried the "Corrected coordinates" thing and it still put the coordinates back to the listed ones instead of the second stage that I edited manually.

For macros, I want to be able to update my existing file with the new pocket query I downloaded, then export it to HTML (for Plucker) and send waypoints to my GPS.

Do you filter manually? Sounds like a lot of work to figure out which caches have been archived.

I have to wonder how you're using GSAK that you'd want to start a new database (excel sheet in your example) all the time? It's really easy to identify archived caches. Just click on the heading labeled Last GPX and it will sort by that date. If you want to only see caches you have not found that might now be archived, click the Filter icon and uncheck the Found check box. Now everything show in GSAK are only unfound caches. Then click on Last GPX and anything before the most current date are either archived caches or ones that might be outside the range of what your PQ had in it last.

B)B)

Hasn't someone made a macro to do that for you? I barely understand the filter menu, this sounds like a lot of work.

The work you put in to learn it is paid back ten-fold in the time saved and the information you can mine from it... seriously. Take the time.

For the macro you want, try this:

GETMAIL Settings="PQs" onError=Prompt
EXPORT Type=HTML Settings="Plucker"
EXPORT Type=GPS Settings="GPS"

You'll need to have saved settings with the indicated names (or change the names in the macro commands) in the "Get data via e-mail" dialog, the "Export\HTML Files..." dialog, and the "GPS\Send Waypoints..." dialog. Check the help file for each one to see what all the options do. If you want to download the PQs manually instead of automatically from your email account, change the first line to something like

LOAD Settings="PQs" Database="Default"

B)B)

Hasn't someone made a macro to do that for you? I barely understand the filter menu, this sounds like a lot of work.

Well I have a Saved Filter called Not Found. I click on Not Found in the "Select a saved filter" drop down list and GSAK now only displays found caches that are active. I click on the column label called Last GPX and I'm done.

There's no way for me to know if a cache that wasn't updated in the last GPX is just because it would have been the 501st cache or because it was archived. When I sort on Last GPX, if the distance is more then 25 miles from me (as my closest 500 caches are in about a 29 mi range) I don't bother looking. If it's less then 25 miles, I view the cache page on GC.com by double clicking the cache in GSAK and see if it's now marked archived. If so, I mark the cache in GSAK.

If it mattered, I could probably create a filter called "Likely archived" and have the filter display any Active caches less then 25 miles in distance that are not found and then on the Dates tab in the filter set the Last Update GPX to be Not during the last X days. In fact, I just did it.

If GC.com would allow you to receive unavailable/archived caches, you could do it in a PQ and 100% automated. But they don't, and there's no way for Clyde to currently read the GC.com database for those caches that are displayed as likely unavailable/archived caches.

I don't see though why *you* need GSAK though. Just go to http://www.geocaching.com/my/ and then click in the top right on Search for nearest caches to your home coords and you should be fine.

I don't change the database unless I am trying to do something special.

I have 56 Disabled caches and 6 of those are Archived. I load the GPX into the same database. This lets me know when disabled caches become available again and adds logs to the current logs. The GPX only has the last 5 logs but many of my db entries have many more logs.

easy to delete disabled caches (you should not have any archived caches)

Macro

Go to the Filter dialog and create a filter by un-checking Available

(this leaves Archived and Temp. Unavialable)

Name it something like "SortUnavail" and save it.

Go to the Waypoint menu and click Delete then click all waypoints in filter

You might want to click the box for keeping them from coming back in the next gpx file.

Then name it something like "DeleteArch" and save it.

then cancel so you don't kill your current database

Should look something like this -

# Macro for Deleting all Unavailable caches

CANCELFILTER

# load filter - for unavailable caches

FILTER name="SortUnavail"

# Delete all in this filter

Delete Settings="DeleteArch"

# Bring back the full database

CANCELFILTER

Team DEMP

If GC.com would allow you to receive unavailable/archived caches, you could do it in a PQ and 100% automated. But they don't, and there's no way for Clyde to currently read the GC.com database for those caches that are displayed as likely unavailable/archived caches.

But you DO get unavailable caches - just not archived caches -

as I noted above - I have some 56 unavailable caches in my database of 456.

I'd like to add that I only get 300 caches in my pq 10 miles from home. So you can see how it has grown by new caches in the last 8-10 months. (Registered July 12 last year.) Some of these are caches beyond the 10 mile circle that I get with a friend now and then. I live in a rather cache dense area in the East Bay Area (SF Bay Area) and there are more than 300 in 10 miles. At the present time I have 213 unfound, 204 found and 44 placed. Lots of room for finding caches.

cc\

But you DO get unavailable caches - just not archived caches - as I noted above - I have some 56 unavailable caches in my database of 456.

I agree with CompuCash on this matter.

You DO get temporarily unavailable caches in a PQ BUT you DONT get archived :huh:

Edited to correct 'wrong' team name!

Edited by Motley Crew
But you DO get unavailable caches - just not archived caches - as I noted above - I have some 56 unavailable caches in my database of 456.

I agree with Team DEMP on this matter.

You DO get temporarily unavailable caches in a PQ BUT you DONT get archived :huh:

don't understand your posting - I said you don't get archived cachings,

Team Demp said you do - so who are you agreeing with?

cc|

I said you don't get archived cachings,

I didn't say you get archived caches.

Also, depending on your PQ, you might not get temporary unavailable caches. If your PQ indicates only available caches, those that are not available are not included in the PQ.

But, back to the topic at hand... the original poster.

I don't see though why *you* need GSAK though. Just go to http://www.geocaching.com/my/ and then click in the top right on Search for nearest caches to your home coords and you should be fine.

Clicking the find nearest/filtered doesn't get the caches to my GPS and PDA though.

Maybe I don't need GSAK, after all the Spinner/Plucker thing was working fine for me. I like being able to plan trips with GSAK though. The "Caches along a route with MS S&T and GSAK" is very useful, since I tend to take lots of highway trips. GSAK is the only tool I've used that can do that easily. Well, maybe it isn't easy, but following the instructions is.

As for macros, I've never created one for GSAK and I'm not sure if I need to. I'd just like to understand how to do it if the need arises.

I agree with Team DEMP on this matter.

You DO get temporarily unavailable caches in a PQ BUT you DONT get archived :o

don't understand your posting - I said you don't get archived cachings,

cc|

Er whoops, TYPO - I agree with you CC :D - I extracted the wrong team name from the various

's when looking at the preview post!
As for macros, I've never created one for GSAK and I'm not sure if I need to. I'd just like to understand how to do it if the need arises.

Read over the help menu section on GSAK Automation and then open some of the existing macros and try and follow along with what they are doing. A lot of people will write comments before each part of the macro to explain what it's doing - reading these and having the help file printed out and handy will make understanding how the macro works pretty easy. It's definitely something you have to put a little time into and isn't going to come in the snap of a finger. BUT, putting the time in to learn how they work will benefit you tenfold.

Read over the help menu section on GSAK Automation and then open some of the existing macros and try and follow along with what they are doing. A lot of people will write comments before each part of the macro to explain what it's doing - reading these and having the help file printed out and handy will make understanding how the macro works pretty easy. It's definitely something you have to put a little time into and isn't going to come in the snap of a finger. BUT, putting the time in to learn how they work will benefit you tenfold.

see my posting above L:B for a short demo program.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

I get a series of PQ's every week, that give me every cache in the state of Utah. The queries are set to give them to me by when they were placed and, within the state of UT, so I know I'm not missing anything.

Once I have gotten all the PQ's for the week, and imported them into GSAK, I can filter for caches where the last GPX update was more that 7 days ago. Those are the recenlty archived caches, and using the Global Replace function, I mark them all archived at once. This way, I never miss an archived cache.

Edited by dino_hunters

I do something like dino_hunters. I have a series of pocket queries that give me all of the caches in each of three overlapping circles of 25 miles radius that cover the areas where I do most of my caching. I use the date place to limit each pocket query to return less than 500 caches. Since I live in cache dense southern California my method will stop working sometime next year when I run out of pocket queries :) .

I have a GSAK macro that first clears the user flag. It then loads each PQ for one of the circles, setting the user flag for each cache updated or added. Then it runs a filter showing all the caches in the circle for which the user flag was not set. These are caches that were already in GSAK but were not returned in the latest pocket queries. Usually this filter will return only a few caches. If these are not right on the edge of the circle, they are the caches that have been archived. I have to check each cache on the edge of the circle manually. I could have the macro set the archived flag in GSAK, but what I do is view each of these cache on line and either download the individual GPX file with the logs indicating why the cache was archived or delete the cache from GSAK if it is one I don't want to keep.