Rubber Junk In Caches...

One way to reduce (not eliminate) the amount of kid related 'junk' found in a cache is to avoid caches that are located in kid friendly places.

Neighborhood parks and caches within 1/10th of a mile from parking on paved or flat ground are going to get a lot of visitors and lots of cacher's toting kids so the contents are going to degrade (for adults) quickly.

Caches in more remote areas or caches that require hiking a mile or two, involve passing through dense vegetation, and other non 'family friendly' placements go a long way to reducing the stampede to the cache and minimizing the amount of kid toy's that will be left in the cache.

Reduce is the word, not eliminate.

FYI, I have nothing against kids caching.

Ahoy.

I'm new, but I think the most discouraging thing I'm finding about geocaching is the huge number of caches filled with cheap, rubber animal things.  It seems every cache I find has (maybe) an interesting item or two, then about half a dozen rubber animals or dinosaurs that look like they cost about 2 cents. Some are *all* cheapo rubber things and assorted junk.

What's the deal with this?  Is it fashionable to leave those things?  Does someone sell big bags of 'em for a dollar or something?

I always try to leave something decent, interesting, or localized.  I guess some don't, and that's OK, but sheesh there's just too much pure junk!

OK, rant off.

In every cache I visit, I leave:

3 plastic ninjas

1 high-bounce glow-in-the-dark ball

1 pencil sharpener

1 signature pencil

Kids love ninjas and high-bounce balls. I put every cache I visit on a watchlist and I often see the next finder picking up the ball or ninjas.

Yes, I buy them in *mass* quantities from http://www.oriental.com, but it doesn't mean that they're not good items.

-- Lemur

Edited by Otter and Lemur
:unsure: I agree that the item shouldn't be important. But, the other day I finally found a cache after looking 3 times for it. The ammo can was wet and the insides were wet and it was all junk anyway. A soggy drink coaster from a bar.. come on. I didn't really care about taking anything but it was dissappointing after all that hard work not see something interesting. But, I do like the squishy stuff too. But, not junk drawer stuff. The fun is in the hunt, but the reward is nice too. :blink:

I have saved everything I have ever taken from a cache on a shelf in my living room. Yes, there is mostly junk, but to me the hunt is the rewarding part.

Did you get into geocaching to find Kugerrands or diamonds in caches, or did you join for the hunt ?

So you get rubber chickens and McToys, does it really matter ?

Has you thinking strayed form the original reason for geocaching ?????

Just my .02 cents... (Oh, not valuable enough) Just my $1.00

Rick

I just placed my very first cache. Ammo Box with about $80 of stuff in it. Mostly new stuff, a cam for pics as well as a $20 cash ftf reward. I also included some local 'city' pins as an item unique for my area. I fully intend to maintain it which would include removal of any junk or worn items as/if they are traded in. Then replenish with my own new items. I think anyone who chooses to place a chache should invest a little.

Of the few cashes I've found, I've let my little guy make the call on which item to take. He also generally chooses what to bring as a trade as well. Never anything worn or broken though.

TB's are always nice to grab and move on and track regardless of what's attached.

I don't usually trade. Although I have grabbed a couple of rubber poodles for the wife. But in my own caches I place what I think cachers might use: Insect bite itch cream, flashllights, 2-AA batteries, or something for your car like concave mirrors, tire pressure gage, registration type holder, and for the kids Hot wheels in different sizes, coloring books and color pencils or crayons to keep the kiddies happy and busy in the car, puzzle books and crossword books to keep the non-caching spounce quiet in the parked car by the trailhead. B) I usually throw in a FTF like a 6 tip screwdriver or something else that I would lke to get as a FTF.

I only do this once. I rarely do maintenance unless there's a negative post,so whatever's left after trades is, well, whatever's left! B)

Edited by Alan2

I think what is in the cache depends on a few factors:

1. Where is the cache? If its easily muggled I tend to not leave my better trade items.

2. Whats already in the cache? I try to leave better than whats in the cache but I'm not going to leave a cd or anything else nicer in a cache full of rubber toys or what is referred to as "McJunk"

I've been to some caches that are alittle off the beaten path. Those caches tend to have better items. I have left nicer items without even taking anything. I find the easy to find caches right off the main path tend to have the lower quality items.

If something is really cool I will take it and leave something of equal or better quality IMO. I usually drop the item later in another cache. I don't cache to collect items. I just cleaned the apartment out of all my clutter I don't want to add more. I cache for the fun of the hunt.

I think too many people make too big of a deal out of this sport anding rules and complaining. Yes I'd like to find a cache with tons of nice stuff and lots of money but I know that won't happen. I cache for the fun. I like the caches with nicer items in them and I try to place nicer items,(just bought cool radios to put in caches) but I understand not wanting to place expensive or nice items out where they can be taken out of the game by non cachers or damaged by the elements.

I recently took a rock from a cache. Hey, it was one of those tumbled, shiny rocks. Sure, it was kind of cheesy but all I really want is to find these things and log my find. As for leaving stuff, we are currently on a mission to simplify our lives. I DID go pick up some things that I think kids would enjoy but I have also been grabbing DVDs and CDs that are either duplicates or that I don't want in my collection anymore.

I recently took a rock from a cache. Hey, it was one of those tumbled, shiny rocks. Sure, it was kind of cheesy but all I really want is to find these things and log my find. As for leaving stuff, we are currently on a mission to simplify our lives. I DID go pick up some things that I think kids would enjoy but I have also been grabbing DVDs and CDs that are either duplicates or that I don't want in my collection anymore.

See now here is the rub. I just went out caching today for no other reason than a cacher who found the cache recently indicated in the log that they left a back of small polished rocks.

Quite literally had I not read that the polished rocks were in the thing I wouldn't have gone caching today.

My kid found a happy meal doll in the cache that he traded for and he couldn't have been happier than he was with that doll.

Everybody is different.

99.9% of the stuff I find at a garage sale or thrift store I consider trash. Yet, oddly, garage sales are a big deal to many as are the thrift store.

Now, we have all heard that we should leave items that we would like to find. I agree with that.

I want to add something to it though.

We should all email those persons who leave something in a cache that we find and really like. This will encourage those persons to leave more of the same or at least let them know that their trade was appreciated.

To the person who asked about the paper outhouse... This builds up as a flat top rather than the peaked top like you found, but we know it's still the best seat on the property. http://www.papercreek.com/ then click "Free Download" it takes you to a page explaining how to build and size it for various model railroad scales, file is a *.pdf

I agree about the trade up thing, but remember worth and price can be completely different from each other. I mean you can find some amazing cool or useful stuff dirt cheap, or you can find overpriced stuff not many people would be into. Leave what you would like to find, it'll make the cache mean more to you and all that.

One man's trash is another man's (or kid's) treasure.

My daugher's top ten list of favorite trade items would definitely include frogs of any type, rubber snakes and lizards, and plastic doggies.

My wife's the same way. She zeroes in on any rubber animals right away...

WE just started but I would feel comfortable unless I at least trade across, if not trading up. I have 4 boys who at least 3 of them want to take something just for the pleasure of getting something new. My 50 took a power cord to who knows what the other day and my 7yo took an expired free coke bottle cap. One thing, I try to leave not only kid stuff, but adult items too. Just so there is something for everyone.

I am like previous cachers-love to stock up at Walmarts or Target with $5+ items for $1. I even named recent caches "blue light specials 1 and 2". I am trying to consolidate my backpack by using foreign coins or steel wheat pennies as trades since they seem to be quite popular and easier to carry.

Trading-useful items like disposable rain ponchos, sewing kits, 1st aid kits, glow in the dark bandages, tire repair kits (all are $1 at Walmart).

I do carry the "inexpensive" rubber animals, sharpeners, and erasers to drop in caches that are sparse so kids can have something to take because for some reason?? the cache went from full to nearly empty after multiple visits.

I don't mind the rubber stuff, but can't stand when caches go from full of clean, new items to dirty keychains, 1 marble trades, or pennies and nickels for a $1 item. I just hope when these cachers place their own hides they will appreciate the work/$ put into stocking the caches. Also, if they are going to trade 7 cents for an item, a small marble for another item, etc. it needs to be noted in the online log so owners are aware that the cache needs to be restocked because many just TNLN and you are unaware that all the "treasure" is gone.