Is Garmin Manufacturing Getting Sloppy On The 60's

Hi all,

Not sure if I am just being picky, but my buddy and I just picked up an additional 60CS and 60MAP. Both units have the displays slightly misaligned. On the 60CS the display sits high with a little bit of the top cut off. On the 60MAP the screen is a little far right cutting off the edge. Also, a co-worker has the same problem with his 60CS with the display sitting a bit high and cutting off the edge. You can see everything OK, but you'd think for the money you spend they could line up the displays properly.

Is the demand for these units so high that Garmin is shipping them out as fast as they can while letting the quality/QA slide?

Anyone else with a 60 series misaligned display out there?

My 60c screen seems to be ok, however, I do have 1 tiny piece of dust right in the middle of it. You would have to really look at it to see it but I know it's there. I posted yesterday about the rubber being "loose" that is covering the antenna. Again, others might not think it's a big deal but for the money I want it to be solid. I hear what you are saying and I agree.

I agree about sending them back, but last time I sent my unit into Garmin to get fixed, it came back with another problem.

Originally, the unit went in for a crack in the plastic case covering the display. After getting the unit back, about 2 weeks later the unit would not power on. Nothing the support tech had me do would power on the unit. So I sent it in a second time.

After getting it back again, the battery meter went flaky (i posted about this elsewhere) with the meter dropping very quickly even with fresh batteries installed. For example after one day the meter would drop to 1 bar after a couple hours and stay that way for the next week or two. So I sent the unit in a third time. After getting it back, so far so good. Third times a charm?

To say the least I am very reluctant to send it in for a misaligned display, although I would like to have it perfect :laughing:

For the last 4 hours I have been putting a brand new GPSmap60C through a thorough examination, set-up, and break in process. The screen is perfectly square and looks great. All buttons look exactly like the buttons on my GPSmap60CS. I updated the software and put a Geocaching neck lanyard on it so it’s ready to go this weekend. Once again I am completely happy with a new Garmin product.

I Just got mine a few weeks back and after reading the previous posts concerning the display misalignment, I checked mine....It's A-OK....I love my 60cs....It's an amazing piece of wizardry....One of my workmates was looking at it today and was amazed at what it could do....He called me a "techno-geek"....COOL :D !!

Timmus

Hi all,

Not sure if I am just being picky, but my buddy and I just picked up an additional 60CS and 60MAP. Both units have the displays slightly misaligned. On the 60CS the display sits high with a little bit of the top cut off. On the 60MAP the screen is a little far right cutting off the edge. Also, a co-worker has the same problem with his 60CS with the display sitting a bit high and cutting off the edge. You can see everything OK, but you'd think for the money you spend they could line up the displays properly.

Is the demand for these units so high that Garmin is shipping them out as fast as they can while letting the quality/QA slide?

Anyone else with a 60 series misaligned display out there?

My 60CS came with a 60C panel on it... The unit was definitely a 60 CS with a barometer and compass and it booted with 60 CS software...

My GPS 60C is almost perfect, but it's display is a little low to the bottom edge of the window. The Plastic housing is a bit soft, and I had an accident with a camcorder barely touching the screen, and leaving a deep gouge in the clear plastic window.

The 76S of mine always has been an excellent unit, and ive heard very little about quality problems with the 76C/CS units, and wished I had bought a 76C instead of the 60C, and this way I would have had a pair of simular units a 76S and 76C. The 60C seems like a very delicate unit, and ive had it since feb 2003. Awfully soft plastic housing and cheaply made, but ive had no problems with the screen, or a loose USB connector on back either.

Seems like only the heavier GPS units are better made.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Although my display is slightly misaligned, it's not as bad as the other 2 units I mentioned so I am willing to live with it. Maybe the fact that I've also unlocked CitySelect 6 to it made my decision :unsure:. I've owned numerous gps's from the etrex line and have never seen misaligned displays.

As for the 60 series, the units have been perfect up until recently, I would say over the last month or so that I have started to see these problems. So it appears to be happening on these newer manufactured units. Not sure what is going on in manufacturing, but quality issues are starting to crop up...

One of the problems ive seen, is how the GPS hits the Ground or the floor, even if in it's box. The Display module inside the GPS unit may shift depending on how hard or what angle the GPS hits the ground. Ive seen shifted displays like in my Etrex Vista after being hit a few times. The Vista's Display is now on an angle.

I had 2 GPS V's that were so well built, that the displays never shifted, despite many drops on the ground, and being smashed around. Those where incredible units. So why couldn't they have had Color GPS V's with say 256 meg mem and USB too.??

Edited by GOT GPS?
One of the problems ive seen, is how the GPS hits the Ground or the floor, even if in it's box. The Display module inside the GPS unit may shift depending on how hard or what angle the GPS hits the ground. Ive seen shifted displays like in my Etrex Vista after being hit a few times. The Vista's Display is now on an angle.

hmmm...maybe I'll give my 60CS a few good whacks! :unsure:

It appears the screen is shifted to the right a hair, I called the retailer and asked them to check anothe unit, the other unit was exactly shifted to the right in the same manner as mine, what I will likely do is wait like 9 months or so after I beat the unit up a bit and still in warranty, send to garmin and have them fix it then.

Edited by wickedsprint

Hi, just thought i'd let you know i also have the screen on my map60cs shifted slightly up higher to the top 'right'!!!!! I noticed it not long after purchasing the unit, i'v also noticed 1 or 2 tiny specs of dust when tilting the unit in bright sun light.

Try not to let it get you down!!!

Believe me i know!!!!!!

I think its more common than you think when it comes to lcd/tft screens!!!

I'v seen the same prob occur with nintendo gameboys also!

And 1 or 2 other gadgets i cant recall at the moment.

The 1st gps i purchased was the old garmin monochrome pilot 3 gps way back in 1998??(built like a little brick)

That had a wonky screen also (much worse though). I returned it to the shop for a refund. Screen was driving me round the bend!!!!!!

I think its down to factory assembly.

-l_e_e

The thing is...i'v learned that its best just to live with it!!!!

In my experience you run a risk of getting a replacement with 1 or 2 other annoying probs with it!!!

My unit also has a deep scratch of about 2cm at the top back casing in between the screw thread for the holster and the external antenna socket!!!

I also even have a few very very very fine scatches on the screen that can only been seen in direct bright sun light and directly under a bright light bulb when tilting the screen in certain directions. I'm sure if i spend even more time looking for other little cosmetic faults i will find them!!!!!

-l_e_e

Edited by l_e_e
Hi, just thought i'd let you know i also have the screen on my map60cs shifted slightly up higher to the top 'right'!!!!! I noticed it not long after purchasing the unit,

Well, that's exactly how my unit is...top right corner is higher. Anyway, it doesn't bother me that much. I was more curious how widespread these display problems were, and if it was a recent quality issue. When the units first came out, I don't remember anyone complaining about crooked displays.

Garmin better take a look at what is going on in manufacturing over in Taiwan :P

I didn't have a problem with my screen, but the first 60cs that I bought basically did not work. It would not pick up a signal all the time so when you changed direction it would not know it for another 30 to 50 feet making geocaching with it impossible. Garmin sent me a replacement which has worked quite well, but I have noticed a tendancy to loose signal under tree cover a lot more quickly than other 60CS that I have seen. The problem with that is that it does not know it has lost the signal. It just doesn't update you position like it normally should. Eventually it comes out of it, but it can be a pain when searching for a cache.

:P

Wow, sporty's is FAST! Sent them the unit friday..it arrived yesterday, replacment sent yesterday, scheduled to arrive tommorow. I hope the screen is better. I will let you guys know. One thing that surprised me about the screen is the backlight, my GV, the backlight appears to be white..like LEDS, the backlight on this one is a green hue, kinda neat.