Garmin Etrex Legend™ Handheld Gps Receiver

Digital_Cowboy

Every week :D

It comes with a special serial cable (well, mine did, they may have changed over the years) to hook up to a PC, and I use GSAK to take the pocket query results and load the cache data straight into the Legend.

Oh, BTW, pocket Queries are only available to paying members, but that is just one of the many things that makes it easy for me to justify the $3 a month.

The Legend is an excellent first GPS. It probably is the most popular one around because of its great price to features ratio.

BTW, if you shop around you can get it for a lot less than $170. $131 is usually the going price on Amazon.com, but it fluctuates.

Edited by briansnat
Every week  :D

It comes with a special serial cable (well, mine did, they may have changed over the years) to hook up to a PC, and I use GSAK to take the pocket query results and load the cache data straight into the Legend.

Oh, BTW, pocket Queries are only available to paying members, but that is just one of the many things that makes it easy for me to justify the $3 a month.

VegasCacheHounds,

I was at Garmin's web site and the data cable is still included. They want close to $200.00 stright from Garmin. If I go to Circuit City's web site I can order it for $150.00 and change.

Digital_Cowboy

I was wondering if the Garmin eTrex Legend™ Handheld GPS Receiver is a good first GPS Receiver?  Circuit City has them on sale for about  $170.00.

Digital_Cowboy

$170.00 is not a real good price, tiger GPS has the legend for $143.00

Tigar GPS

JohnnyVegas,

Thanks for the link. It took a little looking but I found the Legend. What do you think of the Garmin eTrex Legend C for $293.07? It normally goes for about $375.

Digital_Cowboy

The Legend is an excellent first GPS.  It probably is the most popular  one around because of its great price to features ratio.

BTW, if you shop around you can get it for a lot less than $170.  $131 is usually the going price on Amazon.com, but it fluctuates.

briansnat,

That's a $170.00 IF I walk into a Circuit City, it's $151 and change IF I order it online.

Digital_Cowboy

The legend was my first and I still like the small compact size - I saw them on salw at the local Target store for $129 the other day.

StarBrand,

I just checked Target's web site and they've got a $170.00 bundle. The bundle includes a carrying case, and an instructional video.

Digital_Cowboy

Thanks for the link. It took a little looking but I found the Legend. What do you think of the Garmin eTrex Legend C for $293.07? It normally goes for about $375.

If you can get the Legend C, go for it. Its a new model with newer technogy than the regular Legend. When I looked yesterday, the Legend C was $239 at Amazon.com after $50 rebate from Garmin.

The Legend C gives you 3 times the memory, color display, autorouting and t a more sensitive antenna.

They both do more then enough for geocaching.

I used a b/w Legend my first year of geocaching and it worked great.

I also use a gps for work so I was looking to upgrade to color unit so it would be easier to see when driving down the road.

I got a Legend C in the mail yesterday.

So far I love everything about the Legend C.

The color screen is awesome.

USB connection is much faster.

The geocaching mode is preaty cool too.

Edited by Milbank

Hey I bought my legend from Milbank! :laughing: I love it, honestly I think you should check out the garage sale forum for a deal that is where I got mine and I got a steal on some veyr very expensive mapping software. I got 2 $170 programs for $10 bucks each, all in all my legend, usb cable, power cable, software, and shipping was $153 It is all in perfect condition so that's my advice. :unsure:

The Target bundle is over-priced IMHO. AND, it is lacking the PC connection (I believe).

I order my Legend not too recently from amazon.com. I paid $141 with free shipping. Got the Legend, cable, and nifty neoprene carrying case. They all arrived within a week and I saved myself some good cash (cache, arh arh arh). That's about the best deal I could find on the net.

woops, just bought mine.... etrex legend from sportsmart and they made a mistake... thanks alot it only cost $137.00 with a 25% discount. Used it today and found my first geocache .... got within 5-10 foot and started looking... wow I was looking for a major indicator and it was almost under foot.. then I saw the marker and was I supprised :D I had already went to two (2) other sites and they were full of muggles so I left. Wait one of the muggles was probably a geocacher looking for the same site. I should have asked him what he was doing. Did not think of that until now. Maybe I will remember that next time I go out to find a cache... LOL had a really good time, almost fell off mountain, remember to wear proper shoes (boots) next time... Thanks for all the fun stuff and wish I had started this sooner...