High Terrain Caches In Ny & Northern Pa

SCP-173

After Geowoodstock 3 I'll be very close to hitting 1000, and I want to make it a good one. By good I mean a really hard one physically (NO puzzles!). Right now I'm kind of leaning towards one that's a 4 terrain star virtual, especially since we all know virtuals are all cakewalks. B)

Anyone else have some suggestions for some real high terrain/hard caches in New York or Northern Pennsylvania (preferably NEPA). I know there's a bunch in the Catskills and Adirondacks, but what else is there? Oh yeah, a 5 star because a boat is needed doesn't count as hard.

Edited by Vårgsëld? ™

NEPA....I haven't done any of his caches yet, but I hear Rich in NEPA puts out a challenging hike. Waterboy also puts out a challenging hike.

There are some challenging caches in central PA, Brush Mountian, or 1000 Steps. There are some challenging hikes in the ANF area of north central PA.

There is one called the Upper Yough Trek in NW maryland, if you're willing to go that far that would make a great adventure for #1000. Its 4.5 star terrain, and definetly the hardest cache adventure i've ever done. I advise you to take a buddy for safety if you go for that one. We did not use kayaks when we went. We camped out at Ohiopyle, it was a great weekend. QuestMaster's Polly takes the Plunge is also a great cache for a landmark find in the SWPA area.

There is one on the AT in central PA near Carlisle, its a night cache, it almost requires a campout on the trail to complete it, depends on how much you want to deal with in the dark. Its called Cove Mountain Lights in the Night.

Good Luck and have fun! :unsure:

I'll third Polly Takes the Plunge. We made this our 100th (i know not nearly the same as 1000 but....) based off of everyone elses reviews and logs. We are so glad we did. Combined with Scattered Remains and Cache Twenty-Two you have a whole day for 3 caches. Although each alone is probably only a 4 star, combine them together for a nice 5 star day all from one parking location. Absolutely awesome area with a great history lesson and even better views (Plus don't you want to know whats hidden at Cache Twenty-Two!!).

edit: spelling

Edited by pghlooking

I'll agree with the esteemed Mr. Snat. The Aircrash virtual caches in the Catskills will be an appropriate challenge for a thousandth cache. On the plus side, the only reason it's not a traditional cache is the silly ban on caches in the Catskill Park...