Bear Attacks

teepeeayy

I saw this show on TV once which talked about how to protect yourself during a close encounter with a bear. There were two basic techniques: passive (roll in a ball), and aggressive (get big, wave arms, yell). The problem is that one technique was ONLY to be used if you encountered a female bear, and the other technique was ONLY to be used if you encounted a male bear.

I hope I never encounter a bear, because I can't remember which technique was which. And besides, how do you tell the sex of a bear? :huh:

edit: typo

Edited by cache_test_dummies

Taking very basic backwoods safety precautions will result in your being much less at risk from bear attacks than from the drive to and from your outdoor experience.

Every year brings a new crop of scare-tactic intensive "news" articles that warn us of the extreme risks that bear pose to all of us. ;)

nfa-jamie

basic backwoods safety precautions = strapping the ole hogsleg to your hip before going about in the woods. ;)

Actually the bear incident reports have been a lot quieter than had been predicted. Long cold winter followed by a cold spring had the bear pundits predicting a higher than usual confrontation number.

I agree with Sal. I've had several encounters with black bears all without any problems. In the woods bears strike me as rather intelligent and people pretty dumb in comparison.

We camped in Hickory Run last year and there was a young bear hanging out in the campground. The boys nicknamed him Dumpster. We watched him from a conservative safe distance while remaining quiet and still. He made us laugh watching his exploration of everyones camp site. The funniest was in one camp site someone left their cook stove and frying pans on the picnic table. Dumpster climbed on top and started nosing around. He upset the stove sending the frying pans crashing to the ground. This startled the bear and he flipped/ fell/jumped off the picnic table in a big heap.

I'm no expert but when I heard the story of the attack my gut told me it was probably caused more by stupid people actions rather then a mean bear.

My 2 cents worth

Well, I live pretty darned close to this park and know the bears there quite well. These are mostly campground moochers just looking for the next free meal. For years they have invaded the campground and mingled with the "legal" campers without any attack incidents. They are pretty used to humankind.

Actually I have them at my house too (525 pounder last year). Usually taking a nap on my compost pile or snacking on the bird feerers (Grrrrr). I ain't been eaten yet.

It is amazing how so many different versions of the same story arise when there is a wildlife encounter. Just take a read below.

Times Leader

Citizens Voice

Morning Call

I'm sure they will make sure YOGI is the bad guy here even though those "campers" left the picinic basket for the taking.

MtnDave

Edited by mtndave
Well, I live pretty darned close to this park and know the bears there quite well. These are mostly campground moochers just looking for the next free meal. For years they have invaded the campground and mingled with the "legal" campers without any attack incidents. They are pretty used to humankind.

Actually I have them at my house too (525 pounder last year). Usually taking a nap on my compost pile or snacking on the bird feerers (Grrrrr). I ain't been eaten yet.

It is amazing how so many different versions of the same story arise when there is a wildlife encounter. Just take a read below.

Times Leader

Citizens Voice

Morning Call

I'm sure they will make sure YOGI is the bad guy here even though those "campers" left the picinic basket for the taking.

MtnDave

Wow that is incredulous! They don't even sound like the same incident?

"Feaser said the incident should not be called a bear attack, but a bear encounter, because the injuries were sustained from running from the bear. No one was attacked by the animal."

Times Leader

"The bear dragged Feeney and buried her under sticks and leaves during a harrowing ordeal that lasted more than five hours."

Citizen's Voice

"She recounted the ordeal that took place over four hours, Feeney wore a jumper put on backward to avoid the painful wounds on her back. The scratches were not deep enough to require stitches, but she is not able to lie on her back."

The Morning Call

Sounds like she fell over running away and blamed it on the bear! <_<

Mistake 1 - food in tent

Mistake 2 - running away

Yup! couldn't agree more.

These two seem like good candidates for the Darwin awards- <_<

From the Wildwnc.com website:

"Many people worry about having encounters with bears while they are hiking or camping. If you do encounter a bear, do not feed it or get close to it. Back away slowly making a lot of noise and do not run. Never surround or corner the bear or bears. If you happen to be attacked by the bear, the National Park Service Black Bear Brochure advised to fight back as hard as you can with any object near you. Be as loud and intimidating as you can. They suggest that playing dead is not appropriate. When you are camping or picnicking, keep your site clean and free of food or anything food was stored. You can hang your odiferous items in a tree at least ten feet off the ground and at least four feet away from the trunk or limbs. Never cook or eat food in or near the tent and always pack out your trash.

Edited by CT Trampers
It is amazing how so many different versions of the same story arise when there is a wildlife encounter.  Just take a read below.

Times Leader

Citizens Voice

Morning Call

MtnDave

That was exactly my point in the beginning of this thread and why the whole thing seems almost like a made up story. Notice how little information is in those article from DCNR or Game Commission officials, except the Times Leader article which probably got it closest to correct. They are the ones the "facts" should be coming from. I work closely day to day with both agencies and they would have no reason to keep anything from the public. Matter of fact, they are obligated to give any information if public safety was compromised.

The media will fall for a story like this as easily as they would fall for a story about a kidnapped bride.

Think about it: A bear rips off most of your clothes, mauls you over and over, bites the back of your head and your treated and released at the hospital with no stitches required? Yeah right! :laughing:

Salvelinus

Edited by Salvelinus

Morning call

Here's the latest article. Many quotes from the state employees. The good news is that they are not planning on hunting or trapping the bear.

The "victims" left open spagettios in their tent and then claim to be "experienced" campers. I vote Darwin award candidates.

How to tangle with a bear This link will show exactly how to fight a bear. Fight dirt

Edited by T-boys
Merluzzi's examination of the scene revealed a large quantity of beer at the campsite

Gets better all the time.

Sure does

"Scollon was angry about the comments from the Game Commission.

''If I was an inexperienced camper I wouldn't be alive right now,'' he said Wednesday. ''If [Feeney] was inexperienced, she wouldn't be alive right now.''"

If he was so experienced, whats he doing running, yelling play dead, and leaving food out?

I have encountered one bear. We were phesant hunting in the Flatbrook-Roy WMA in NJ. My father and I crested a hill, and there was a bear, up a tree. We backed away slowly, and let my brother know to keep the dog off the hill. When we got to the bottom, we ran into an other group of phesant hunters. We warned them about the bear, and they decided to go look - I guess they were "experienced" as well. :laughing:

-dave

One of the Park bears came over the mountain to my house last night seeking PROTECTION from the "experienced campers".

He seemed very upset, grumbling something about well fed, whiney, knife wielding humans.

Edited by mtndave

525? How'd ya know it wasn't 535 or 515? I think you're getting a little to close, frankly. :huh:

525? How'd ya know it wasn't 535 or 515? I think you're getting a little to close, frankly. :huh:

Geeezzz...Now that sounds like my wife. Except she says it a lot louder.

Shhhh...you'll scare him away.

I was able to get within about 20 feet and if I could only figure out how to post an image.

Actually the weight was confirmed by the game officer who came to check him out and a few weeks later when someone took him down in bear season about 2 miles away.

Edited by mtndave
525? How'd ya know it wasn't 535 or 515? I think you're getting a little to close, frankly. B)

Geeezzz...Now that sounds like my wife. Except she says it a lot louder.

Shhhh...you'll scare him away.

I was able to get within about 20 feet and if I could only figure out how to post an image.

Actually the weight was confirmed by the game officer who came to check him out and a few weeks later when someone took him down in bear season about 2 miles away.

Wasn't he shot after he ate the camper? You must have seen him when he was thinner!

Edited by Alan2