Dvd Cache

animal head hunter

im thinking of hidding my first cache and i want to fill it with dvds nothing to crazy maybe p-13 at the most some action ,comedy you know well heres the catch it will be dvd back up copies i own the original dvd i copy em so i dont scratch the original i follow all the rules of backing up a dvd you know i dont sell em i dont copying movies i dont own i make no money off em and so on any ways i am think of filling my first cache with my copies of backed up movies i would like to know if this is a good idea bad idea heck i would love to find a cache full of dvds dosent mean you need to trade a dvd just take one so what do people think how should i work it i will tell you this it will defanitly be a 3 or 4 star rating for difficulty :lol:

ok so originals only yeh i guess that is wrong i just thought what a great idea for a cache but you right ok so as long as it is originals does that sound like a ok idea

It doesn't matter if you give away backups for free or not, it's illegal. Copyright laws allow you to make one backup for yourself only, not for distribution. If you give away the original, you must also give that person the backup copy you have or destroy it. Ever see that "FBI" page on the beginning of a tape or DVD? There's a $250,000 fine if they catch you.

still think it's a great idea? :lol:

ok bad idea :lol: but it is ok to put the original though right wallmart has tons for

99 cents now those are ok right

Orginals are ok. There have been several DVD caches done. One in Twin Falls is attached to the guys house by a chain. You have to solve the combination lock to get int it. It's worked out better than any other I've seen.

one thing that makes backing up dvd's illegal is breaking the copyright protection and FBI seal. Copyright Protection such as which prevents you from backing it up CSS, Macrovision, and region protection are just a couple to name off as far as different copyright protections. Which would mean that you would have to rip it or should i say make a digital copy of it on your hard drive Many commercial movies ship on 8.5GB, dual-layer DVD-9 discs and are too large to fit on a 4.7GB DVD disc so you would have to Shrink it once copied with other means of software. . Despite all the missing information, shrunk copies can be hard to tell from the original. Double-layer DVD burners, which can burn 8.5GB double-layer discs, offer an even better solution and require no compression at all. As for what types of movies can you Copying a DVD movie that is neither copyrighted nor copy protected such as one made on your digital video camera or on someone else no professional movie is as simple as firing up your mastering software and initiating the copy disc routine. Although thats just the legality issue on it If you do make copies of movies that you own Just use caution when playing them on pc's with dvd players and are connected to the net. Thats one way they are catching alot of people ripping certain music cd's some have watermarks and can send information without you knowing. Hope some of this information helps I personal think these laws are stupid just be careful there is many sly tricks they can do to find out who has them dont mean to scare just want to make sure no one gets caught . :lol: btw

t-maxxer you would be suprised on how they could catch a person.

Edited by Mystery Ink

wow this is the definalty the kind of feed back i wanted and thats why i want to ask the question good idea bad idea definalty bad but i do want to try to hide a cache with unopend, un copied dvds they sell classic movies for 99cents which i would like to put in my cache any ways thank all of for your input better to ask first then to do it and get in trouble huh

and don't think they won't come after you as you're too small. they hit everyone who uploaded the music onto the web with dadgum big fines.

yeah they may never find out but have you enough cash to not worry? if so then place originals instead!

Everyone? Didn't know that, thanks for the info. How dadgum big were those dadgum fines any way?

its pretty much someone who just steals from cache's without logging it because they have either visited it in the past or saw something they wanted :laughing:

I don't steal from caches. However if I someday decide to start doing that I can promise you that I won't be making a log entry of my visit.