Cito Cache Idea/brainstorm

rxzephyr

I had a brainstorm the other day.....

I think we all know that - to some extent - Geocaching has become a game of stats. Travel Bugs/Geocoins are also treasured when found in the cache....people just seem to like to move these things from cache to cache.

So I had an idea. What if you could combine these things into a CITO activity? My idea is to take a film canister and fill it with as many grocery store bags as one can cram into it. Label this canister with a CITO logo and some sort of tracking number. When the canister is found in a cache, and removed, the person uses the bags in it to CITO. Then, they move the CITO Canister on to the next location they think could use a little work. Heck, include a log sheet in the CITO Canister as well so it's known who has it and where it's been.

To get people motivated to acutally clean up using the bags in the CITO Canister, then we introduce the 'stats'. Setup a CITO Event Cache (or something) that could be used for people to claim after they have used the CITO Canister in a given geographic area.

I know the idea is a little rough around the edges, but what does everyone think? Is this something that could be further developed into something useful?

Everything that actually can inspire people to pick up some trash is one step in the right direction! I was part organizer for a CITO event here in Sweden and I am quite disappointed B) by the number of cachers who joined. And we where sponsored by the city of Gothenburg and all... B)

Well lookie there - great minds think alike (or fools seldom differ!).

I guess I was looking for something that could be done within the bounds of the existing system without having to look for some kind of code change to the way things are done. In the 'perfect world', I think what had been proposed in the other thread is perfect - simply track CITO activities the same way we do travel bugs. However, it's been over a year since that was proposed and nothing (?) has happened.

Is there any way we can do this within the bounds of the existing site? Do we even want to go that route?

Edited by rxzephyr

Why not decide on an “Official” CITO container and attach a travel bug to the trash bag container. The container could sport a CITO sticker and have the instructions printed on one side. Is this an item we could get developed for the online store? I’d shell a few bucks for a couple and I think several other people would also.

I'd never thought of using a "real" travel bug to implement this idea.....not a bad idea.

This will be the 4th bug that I have planned - now I just have to order a wack of them.

What I'm going to do is attach the TB to film container and stuff the grocery bags inside (no, a full sized garbage bag won't fit. I tried. :lol: ) I'll then put a CITO logo, likely by computer printout & tape to protect it, on the container.

Once I get it built, I'll photograph the prototype.

And who knows, if the "idea" catches on, maybe the Groundspeak people will create a special type of "CITO Bug", like was previously suggested, and have it log separately.

And then think - those of us who make the TB based ones will be pioneers. *grins*

Gung Ho, friends!

RXZ

I'd never thought of using a "real" travel bug to implement this idea.....not a bad idea.

This will be the 4th bug that I have planned - now I just have to order a wack of them.

What I'm going to do is attach the TB to film container and stuff the grocery bags inside (no, a full sized garbage bag won't fit. I tried. :ph34r: ) I'll then put a CITO logo, likely by computer printout & tape to protect it, on the container.

Once I get it built, I'll photograph the prototype.

And who knows, if the "idea" catches on, maybe the Groundspeak people will create a special type of "CITO Bug", like was previously suggested, and have it log separately.

And then think - those of us who make the TB based ones will be pioneers. *grins*

Gung Ho, friends!

RXZ

Excellent idea. An icon for collecting and moving a CITO bug. Maybe if you release one it should be free ? or a premium feature. I have used 35mm film containers in some caches for this purpose making a smiley CITO bug gets my vote.

I have something similar set-up for a cache I am trying to get out. It's a bunch a film canisters with 1 (all you can fit) in it and a CITO+msg label on it. I have about 25 put together so far and ask that the canisters be put back when empty. Almost any film store/location was more than happy to give up there film can stock. one place gave me a whole trash bag of them.

From experience: A film cannister holds one ordinary sized food store shopping bag, or one Walmart plastic bag.

Hi Planet;

If the bags are new (unused) you can get two in easily, and three in if you are really good at folding them tight. I got about an inch of new bags from a local store manager after I told him what I wanted them for. After he stopped laughing he gave me the bags.

I think this could work, but you really NEED to have a new logo. There are loads of cachers out there who get a real kick out of getting a new logo, so this might get them going. You need to make them slightly hard to get to make them desirable (limited edition or something) and ideally ensure that the cacher has to do some "trash out-ing" to get the logo. Any thoughts?

I've enjoyed reading this thread, and have an idea I'm going to try out...

an ammo can with a TB tag glued on the outside and filled with walmart-type bags and some gloves. The outside will have CITO logo sitckers, and there will be a full set of instructions explaining the concept of the "Mobile CITO Event" TB.

Its mission will be to travel from cache to cache, making the cache areas it visits just a little bit better than they were (like Kane, from "Kung Fu") :(