Logging Your "own" "and" Cache

I'm helping a newbie place her first cache, so it will be "By <her name> and sTeamTraen".

Now, I don't want any credit for this, but equally, I don't want it to appear in my "filter out finds" nearby listing.

What I was thinking of doing was to log it as a find, then change my log on another cache (eg a locationless, or even better one of the "traditionals" which was in fact a locationless or virtual) to a Note.

What do other "and" (helper-) "owners" do ?

Since you aren't getting credit for a "hide" (like your friend does), then take credit for a find. Just wait until after the FTF has logged it so you don't take that from someone else.

Alternately, you could just "ignore" the cache (new feature) if you really don't want credit for it.

One more option is to help her put it together, but let her hide it by herself. Go back a week after she placed it (to give someone else the chance to be first) and find it. That way you earn the smilie.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

Rather than all that goofy bucking the system kind of thing, just ignore the cache. Then it won't show up on your nearest list. Simultaneously watch the cache, which will send you emails when someone logs it, because I'm sure you're interested when people find the cache.

Jamie

Depends on how YOU feel about it, if you're ok with claiming a find for something you didn't actually find, go for it.

The log type is "found it". How do you feel about other people logging a find for caches they didn't find?

Edited by Mopar

I have several of these and they all appear in my nearest caches listings. When I see them, I just skip to the next line. I don't see an issue with them appearing on my nearest cache search. Because I helped hide them, I think it's silly to log a 'found it' because I already know where they are.

Edited by briansnat

When I help a friend set up a cache I'll let a few folks log it then go out with one of my kids and have them find it or my wife. I just give the general area like it is as if they have the GPSr as we are a team so I just sit there and smell the rose, besides they find the caches first while I do the GPSr dance. So log it what diff does it make or have your SO or KID do find it.

cheers

Wait til someone else finds it, go back out to the cache site and sign the log. All you did was lower the difficulty rating of the hide.

I'll bet you've gone to other cache sites and said "I bet I know exactly where it's hidden." and found it.

No difference.

Edited by BlueDeuce
I was with a buddy cacher who hid two caches. I waited about a month or so and then logged the finds. I think a previous poster talked of waiting after the FTF, great advice!

I also agree that 1 more find isn't going to really matter so log it!

Perhaps I'm being over-careful here. But I got some "stick" from a couple of people a few months back when I logged a virtual that I hadn't vsited (it was obvious I physically couldn't have visited it on the day in question), because I happened to know the place. So I like to avoid giving offence, even if it's 99.99% my problem...

Because I helped hide them, I think it's silly to log a 'found it' because I already know where they are.

I agree, and this is why I don't hide caches with other people. :lol: But if I did, I'd help the person any way (s)he needs, but I'd let them hide the cache by themselves, even if I stood 50 m away turning my back to them just not to see the cache hiding. Then I could claim a find. If something like that couldn't be arranged, I'd just put the cache on my ignore list.

I do, however, own a cache which I have logged as a find. But this happened in reverse order. I found the cache owned by someone else. The cache went missing and I happened to find it (long story). The owner emailed me saying they can't maintain the cache, so I adopted it. My 'found it' log stays, since I found it when it still was owned by someone else.

I go along with waiting til it's found and then log it. In my area we had a "kid" place 3 caches and someone he was caching with logged the hides within 15 minutes of them hitting gc.com. I guess they're lucky it's caching and not the stock market. Look what they did to Martha Stewart.

Perhaps I'm being over-careful here.  But I got some "stick" from a couple of people a few months back when I logged a virtual that I hadn't vsited...

Why would you log a find for a cache you didn't visit?

It was doable with a bit of Internet research and deduction.

There are a number of virtuals that are intended to be Google-able, but this one wasn't. And I think I'm the only person to have done the detective work.

There are also other virtuals which may not originally have been intended to be logged from a distance, but where the number of logs makes it clear that people from all over the world are piling in. Sometimes the owner toughens up the rules (eg requiring a photo), sometimes they don't.

Don't look when she hides it, get the coords from her, then go find it, but allow someone else the FTF. Help her with every other aspect, up to the placement. Unless it's already hidden and I should have read every post. :o

I helped with a couple of placements, my name is on the cache with the other cachers, and I do not log a find, and I could care less if there is an unfound on my nearest page. I try to cache farther from home and save close ones for quick fixes.

As far as logging virtuals you didn't visit............. cheater! :o

One other thought. I hid a cache deep in some hemlock forest with hard to get GPS reception. It was in good shape for a year, so I didn't need to go back until someone said the camouflage had fallen off. It took me 45 minutes to find my own cache! I should have claimed a find on that one! Needless to say I did not replace the camouflage!