Geocacheuk Forums Problem

Three times this evening I've tried to visit the GUK forums. Each time the main page has loaded, I've gone to an individual forum and that page has loaded, then when I've tried to view a thread Internet Explorer has crashed and Windows has slowed almost to a standstill and I've had to reboot. I haven't had any other IE or Windows problems.

Has anyone else had any problems there today? I can't ask in there for obvious reasons!

Just cos your anti virus is up to date doesnt mean you ahvnt got a virus, it just makes it unlikely that you have an old virus.

You running spyware protection too?

Something is using or denying the use of your PCs resources, ie Memory or processor, a virus is the quick and easy suggestion, after this, well you could be looking at something corrupted in the OS.

Does the problem only occur with IE?

Some Spywares do screwy things with IE,

I reccoment Winpatrol WWW.Winpatrol.com, its free, and it gives you excellent info on whats happening in the background of your PC, and is a very good system protector to use in addition to virus and spyware protection

My money is on spontaneous registry corruption. This happens from time to time on our network of 1500+ PCs. (Obviously it's not really "spontaneous" but it's sufficiently non-deterministic that it might as well be).

If you know your way around with Regedit, rename "HKCU\SW\M$\Internet Settings" to "Internet SettingsX", and "HKCU\SW\M$\Windows\CV\Internet Explorer" to "Internet ExplorerX". Reboot, and see what happens. You may need to re-setup IE the way you like it. You can always roll back by deleting the new keys and renaming the old ones by removing the "X".

If you don't know your way around with Regedit, DON'T try this. Why don't you use a Mac ? :laughing: (Or at the least, get a copy of Firefox, and then you can see if a given browser problem is with the browser itself or something bigger.)

PC can slow down etc if left on for hours and hours.  Always a good idea to re-boot once in a while.  Daily, at least if you leave yours running as I do.

I'm sorry, but can you explain more.

If your PC is slowing down when left running, you must have some buggy programms running too ( not counting Winows OS)

PC can slow down etc if left on for hours and hours.  Always a good idea to re-boot once in a while.  Daily, at least if you leave yours running as I do.

I'm sorry, but can you explain more.

If your PC is slowing down when left running, you must have some buggy programms running too ( not counting Winows OS)

Exactly. Even professional programs, including Windows ( all versions) can start to hog memory. Also when a program is shut down it does not always give up the total amount of momory it is hogging. Just the way things are. Nuffing much can be done about it. Just reboot once a day.

Phoenix, Spybot and Adaware report only the usual culprits. The problem does only occur with IE, I can view the threads with no problem in Netscape. Thanks for Winpatrol - I've taken a look and I'll be trying it.

sTeamTraen, I've tried the registry changes and the problem still occurred. I've now changed things back. I don't use a Mac because I can't afford a new computer. :laughing: I've been thinking about Firefox, though.

golddust1000, I don't leave my pc running continuously, but yes it does slow down after long use. But that isn't the cause here, as the problem occurs even if I try to visit those threads straight after a reboot.

There is abviously something not right in there, use Winpatrol to look through your startup and active processes and remove anything that looks unwanted, something screwef in the registry is a distinct possibility, but I dont wander into the registry without extream care.

Treat yourself to a change and try using Firefox instead of IE from www.mozilla.com .

If your PC is more than a year old then it could benefit from being wiped and having he OS rebuilt, this is something I tend to do with my PCs at least once a year and the improvement is signifigant... but again not something to do yourself unless you know what you are doing.

Hmmm, CPU runs at 100% all the time. Can't reboot becuase my shutdown procedure hangs when it says "Windows is shutting down"

I wonder of these are connected.

I wonder what to do?

If there is anything non technical that anyone suggest I'm up for suggestions. (For intance the regedit suggestion and the reinstall are beyond my capbilities)

Adrian

You need to find out what's holding all the CPU.

Check the task manager for the process that is using it.

Then google that .exe

You'll probably find it's a worm of some kind.

Make sure your Anti-Virus is up to date, if not you may have to try and remove it.

In any case, let me know what you find.

Then google that .exe

Make sure your Anti-Virus is up to date, if not you may have to try and remove it.

Thanks Klaus - SYSTEM is using all the cpu that remains after anything else has used their bit. (not system idle process)

Adrian

Then google that .exe

Ignore this, just use Winpatrol, this is exactly what Winpatrol does, and will connect you to a professional DB.

Edited by -Phoenix-

Then google that .exe

Thanks Klaus - SYSTEM is using all the cpu that remains after anything else has used their bit. (not system idle process)

Adrian

Again be carefull there is SYSTEM and things that looks like STSTEM but isnt... again use Winpatrol, filter out the Microsoft stuff and examine the rest closely

Just say no to McAfee and Norton.

Remove all a-v software from your PC, then go to http://housecall.antivirus.com once a week and let it scan your drives and memory. I run a network of 1600 PCs and we have no anti-virus software on any of them. We also have no downtime due to viruses either.

(OK, we had 50 PCs infected by Sasser. But no commercial A-V product could prevent that anyway. And we had 100% of our PCs immunised against it within 4 hours.)