Which To Start With....

I've found a couple caches so far, with a bit of diffuculty as I have no GPS nor access to one. I realize it would be quite handy to have one, as my family travels a lot and we sometimes get lost. I have my eye on the eTrex family, especially the WAAS models. A person I know of said his GPSmap76s was accurate to 3ft. Is this possible? I thought the best you could get was around 3 meters.

Anyhow, I'd like something with a dataport on the back, and (preferably) a map of US highways and roads, if not that the capability to download those. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

BlueNinja

I have an eTrex Legend and with WAAS turned on the best accuracy I have seen on the screen is 2 metres, most of the time 3 is what I get at the best. The Legend has 8 Meg of memory adn the newer model have a USB port, mine is older and has a seriel port. The smaller memory doesn't allow too many maps to be loaded but it comes with a pretty good base map. I use mine connected to a laptop running Garmin Mapsource products like Metroguide Canada and Topo. I also use nRoute from Garmin for auto routing on the laptop. So far it all has worked without any problems.

When I was in Joshua Tree National Park a few weeks ago, the best I got for accuracy was nine feet on my Garmin eTrex Vista.

I like my Vista a lot, but the Legend would be perfectly adequate for Geocaching and general navigating. Right now it can be had on Amazon.com for less than $135.00 (free shipping) plus tax.

The MapSource maps can be purchased for a bit less than retail on eBay and those are really helpful for navigating unfamiliar streets and neighborhoods.

9' with WAAS and I've seen 7' before. I'm not sure I trust it, but 3m is close enough.

Go with a GPS with room for maps. The legend is like an appitizer. Just enough to get you started, but not enough to where you won't want to upgrade soon. Unless you get the Legend C.

19mb and Up for memory depending on how big an area you want for maps.

Lots of people love the Legend. If you have your maps on a laptop, or return to your home base often, 8MB should be plenty of memory. The next step up is a Legend C (24MB, but twice the cost), the 60C (56MB but three times the cost) or the 76C (115MB but three times the cost). The extra cost on the Legend C is mostly for the color display, not for the added memory. For a starter unit, the Legend is hard to beat.

Magellan owners jump in here.

So, what would you recommend for maps?

I checked on amazon for the Legend, says $144. Is this a permenent discount, or just for this month or something?

Bummer . . . When I put the Legend in my Amazon shopping cart a week or so ago, the price was only $131.00.

Maybe eBay will have better prices.

I got my Vista, along with the Mapsource maps, in a package deal back in December. I've gotten lots of things on eBay over the years. :D

Amazon is constantly looking for low prices from other sources. If I understand correctly, they carry virtually no inventory. They are just an intermediary. As the best price availability of their sources change, they change their price. I would be surprised if it went much below $131, but of course, the day after you buy, it will be $128 (or $151). Some people watch a product for a week or more to try to get the best price. Others just get what they want.

Someone more familiar with the inner workings of Amazon may correct this if I'm off base.

Amazon is constantly looking for low prices from other sources. If I understand correctly, they carry virtually no inventory. They are just an intermediary. As the best price availability of their sources change, they change their price. I would be surprised if it went much below $131, but of course, the day after you buy, it will be $128 (or $151). Some people watch a product for a week or more to try to get the best price. Others just get what they want.

Someone more familiar with the inner workings of Amazon may correct this if I'm off base.

This is apochryphal information and not tested in any way. YMMV...

I've read that Amazon ups the price the more successive times you visit a product page. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I'm just regurgitating stuff I've read here. Deleting any amazon or affiliate cookies will allegedly reset the price. Keep in mind, that deleting cookies may or may not have side effects like emptying your shopping cart and making your hair fall out.

After reading yet some more, I'd like to also consider some Magellan units. They sound pretty good, but they seem a little "clunky". How do they compare to the Legend?

Well, that oughta start some spirited discussions. Care to make any comments about Ford Pickups while you're at it. :)

What models offer about the same features as the Legend, but have external antenna capability?
Blue,

Do yourself a big favor and consider a Lowrance iFinder. The Pro model does have an active antenna port and goes for around $150. Its features are very comparable to, if not better than, those of the Legend. It's a dual processor mapping unit with a 3" diagonal 16 level grayscale 240 x 180 screen, removable/expandable memory, NMEA 0183 output, 1k waypoints, 100 routes, 100 trails, true 100' scaled display, uses AA batteries, and fits in your pocket. However... this iFinder is water resistant (IPX2), not water proof (IPX7), and supports routing, but not autorouting. So for geocaching and normal use this model should be compared right along with the Legend and MeriGold. In any event, you will definitely be happy with any one of these three.

reidster

Edited by reidster
Ok, I haven't even heard of that one,
Don't worry, few people have. They have great engineers and support, but marketing and sales seem to be non-existent.

Does it have a dataport instead of memory?
No, its serial port is strictly for NMEA0183 communications. However using a USB card reader is several times faster than RS232. For a comparison go to http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1428024

I have a all in one card reader, but only CF cards so I'd have to buy another card...
Yes. It uses SD cards which are very cheap, 256Mb @ $20.

Will have to check that out.
Please do, they're a great unit for the price. But to be totally honest... the manual is only fair to good and in Advanced Mode the plethora of menus can be intimidating. But in either case, post your question here and we'll gladly help you out. Edited by reidster

Man, I don't feel I can really decide on a GPS unless I try it out.... but the only place I've actually OPERATED one is at Dick's, and even then the place is basically a warehouse so not even windows to try to catch a signal through. The only way I can think of to really "try before you buy" is to purchase one and get a refund after a bit, but that would look dumb.

Personally, I wouldn't sweat the "try before you buy" issue in this kind of environment. List out the features you want, then go from the recommendations of the people here. Many of these folks have obviously invested a great deal of time, money, and experience into these units and I would generally consider the advice sound.

I'm inbetween the Legend and an iFinder Pro also (thank Reidster, spreading the disease). When it comes down to it for me, the exandable memory kind of just takes the cake. Why settle for 8mb when you can have... well... a lot?

I think you will adjust to your purchase of a GPS more with time than a "trial period" can afford you. Take a leap and assume that you'll have to ride the learning curve a bit.

Edited by A^2
Personally, I wouldn't sweat the "try before you buy" issue in this kind of environment.  List out the features you want, then go from the recommendations of the people here.  Many of these folks have obviously invested a great deal of time, money, and experience into these units and I would generally consider the advice sound.

I'm inbetween the Legend and an iFinder Pro also (thank Reidster, spreading the disease).  When it comes down to it for me, the exandable memory kind of just takes the cake.  Why settle for 8mb when you can have... well... a lot? 

As for iFinder, you can download emulator from Lowrance website and try it. Yes, it's not a "real" GPSr, but at least you'll get familiar with interface. Here is the link:

http://www.lowrance.com/software/PCSoftware/demos.asp

Alright, it's nut-cutting time. BlueNinja, go out on Saturday and buy a Legend. Don't think about it, just do it. Play with it all day Sunday and all next week. If you have questions about it, ask them here. We'll answer them as best we can. If you are a f'ing newbie, the Legend is a great place to start.

Why not the iFinder? It looks to be a pretty good unit, but you will be in the 3% bunch. Just like Mac users and people who use Firefox. If you are just starting out, it's best to be one of the crowd and decide why you hate being one of the crowd, rather than being an outsider looking in and wishing you could play with the cool kids.

3 feet sounds a tad optimistic, even with WAAS. I'm in Europe (ie without WAAS) so my best hope is 6-10 meters with a 60C.

I have not been doing this too long yet, but I have been amazed at the accuracy of my SporTrak. On some caches, I have pretty much stepped on the cache. On a couple of finds, I got to within 15 or 20 feet and put the GPSr in my pocket just to try and think through where the cache was hidden to make it harder. On the other hand one time, (this one):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bc-8f8a22886561

I got right on top of it according to the GPSr and spent 1/2 hour looking and could not find it. It was an ammo box too!!!! Someone found it a few weeks later, so it is there. We WILL BE GOING BACK!!!!!!

This whole business is so much fun! :laughing:

...Don't think about it, just do it... If you are a f'ing newbie, the Legend is a great place to start.

Why not the iFinder? It looks to be a pretty good unit,... If you are just starting out, it's best to be one of the crowd and decide why you hate being one of the crowd,..

Now there's sound advice. :rolleyes: Now you know why I chose an iFinder. If you need any help, there are always a few of us here and we know what we're talking about. You can also go to Yahoo Groups - iFinder for more/dedicated advice.

But if you need to be part of a crowd, go ahead and buy a Legend. Then hang it around your neck, get down on all fours, and go baaaaaaaa, baaaaaaaa, baaaaaaaa...

Alright, it's nut-cutting time. BlueNinja, go out on Saturday and buy a Legend. Don't think about it, just do it. Play with it all day Sunday and all next week. If you have questions about it, ask them here. We'll answer them as best we can. If you are a f'ing newbie, the Legend is a great place to start.

Why not the iFinder? It looks to be a pretty good unit, but you will be in the 3% bunch. Just like Mac users and people who use Firefox. If you are just starting out, it's best to be one of the crowd and decide why you hate being one of the crowd, rather than being an outsider looking in and wishing you could play with the cool kids.

I use firefox ;)

Anyways, I think I may be getting a Legend for my birthday. I can still attemppt going gpsless til then.