Appeals@geocaching.com

SCP-173

On March 31st I had a cache archived, and I thought I had a good case for arguing it's unarchiving and approval. For the first time I tried sending an email to appeals@geocaching.com and here it is April 11th and I never got a reply. I don't really care about the cache, I became tired of waiting and got it listed as an earthcache instead. I'm just wondering if that address really is for an appeal on an archived cache or if it's for something else. I realize there's a lot of email sent to Groundspeak and that a wait is to be expected, but 11+ days seems a bit long.

Perhaps they were researching and discussing the issue and were going to get back to you once it was decided. Also, they may have dismissed the issue once it was approved as an earthcache.

Finally, you might note that there have been two weekends thrown in during your wait. It has actually been six business days since your request. Maybe that's a long time, maybe not.

There is always more to the story. :lol: As far as earthcache approval goes, the final say on whether it gets listed here is not the GSA, it's TPTB, so someone at Groundspeak approved the Earthcache listing.

As far as an answer for your question: I have no idea if anyone actually reads the e-mail sent to that address. :laughing:

--Marky

As far as earthcache approval goes, the final say on whether it gets listed here is not the GSA, it's TPTB.

That's good to hear. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who likes something a little different. Thanks for adding that. Sad to see this thread is deteriorating so rapidly and going off topic before the question was even answered, though. Where's the "only admins can reply" forums. Ask what the purpose of an email address is and get your caches insulted instead. :laughing:

Well, I certainly see how a herd of moving deer doesn't meet the guidelines for a virtual cache (i.e., the coordinates must point to a fixed, permanent object). Just curious, what is the abuse of discretion you're appealing?

I'm also curious, what do white deer have to do with geology? :laughing:

Just guessing, but perhaps the listing of the earthcache was regarded as rendering your appeal of the virtual cache to be moot.

That has got to be one of the lamest Earthcaches I've read to date. I wonder what the GSA and TPTB were smoking that day. :laughing:

I was wondering the same thing. What do deer have to do with unusual geological features? Looks exactly like the sort of lame thing that caused virtuals to be cracked down on. Now it's earthcaches. Start seeing more earthcaches like this and I suspect they will become as hard as virtuals to get listed.

Well, I certainly see how a herd of moving deer doesn't meet the guidelines for a virtual cache (i.e., the coordinates must point to a fixed, permanent object). Just curious, what is the abuse of discretion you're appealing?

I'm also curious, what do white deer have to do with geology? :laughing:

Just guessing, but perhaps the listing of the earthcache was regarded as rendering your appeal of the virtual cache to be moot.

I was going to say that the depot is a permanent location, and the deer have been there since 1941 and are not going anywhere. I figured it couldn't hurt to try. But that's unrelated and unimportant, now.

I emailed the GSA admins prior to submitting the cache asking if it would be appropriate. The one who replied said he thought it was a cool idea and that I should submit it to see what the others thought. When it was approved he emailed me back and said, quote: "We have approved this and seen what the community thinks (we think its neat by the way!)". It has nothing to do with geology, but aparently people on both sites liked it and thought it was good enough to list.

Anyway, the listing of the earthcache is a very likely reason for never getting a reply that I did not think of.

i can't speak for the listing of it, but i can say that the white deer are amazing. they probably have very little to do with geology, but they're amazing nonetheless.

if you have ever seen them in a red sunset, you will not soon forget it.

i can't speak for the listing of it, but i can say that the white deer are amazing. they probably have very little to do with geology, but they're amazing nonetheless.

if you have ever seen them in a red sunset, you will not soon forget it.

I don't doubt they are. But they don't seem like earthcaches.