Ne Caching Trip

slinger91

Willapa and I will be flying into Newark on May 19th. Below is the rough draft route we were thinking of driving. We will be here from 5/19-5/24. If anyone can link some "must do" caches we could bookmark on the route, that would be great. We would like to know if anyone thins the route is too ambitious for 5 days. thanks.

3a2e470e-8de5-4d83-be91-215a109c3bbc.jpg

Edited by slinger91

Quite a route you've mapped out! How ambitious it is depends on how much caching you want to do... My immediate recommendation is to change your Maine route so that you go straight up the coast to Bar Harbor--it's much more scenic and there are some great coastal caches! "Thorne Head Challenge" in Bath and "Cache on the Rocks" in Bristol (where you can also see the famous Pemaquid Lighthouse) are two of my favorites. Don't miss the towns of Wiscasset, Damariscotta, Rockland, and Camden--all are on Route 1 and are quintessential Maine. Finally, make a stop or two in Seacoast New Hampshire. Portsmouth is an old shipping town and definitely worth a stop, and the area is full of good caches, like "I Wish I Lived Across the Street" in Hampton. Enjoy!

IntotheWoods <_<

It looks like a great trip, very ambitious. You will not have that much time for caching, you will have to keep moving, and not travel to far off of the highways. I would make your first cache out of Newark Airport:

Secaucus Panorama. This will give you an excellent vista of the area.

I would then go into NYC, and do a few caches in Central Park.

Our area has a lot of great caches, it will be difficult to decide among them.

One other suggestion, on many of the highways you will be traveling, the rest stops have caches planted in them, a fun way to fill up on gas and grab some caches.

Thanks already for the advice, I'm bookmarking caches as we speak. And will be adjusting the route. We were hoping to hit 10 to 20 caches a day. Not so many we miss out on the scenery. I can't wait. I will be placing 4 Washington geocoins as well.

Edited by slinger91
too ambitious for 5 days..
The fact that you ask indicates that you may think it is. Boston is 1 day alone and that does not do it justice,. Acadia and Bar Harbor is a full day alone, sunrise on Cadilac Mtn. is one of the 1000 things to do before you shuffle off the mortal coil. Coastal Maine is a full day alone. Newport RI, Fall River Battleship Cove and Museum Mystic Seaport 1.0 days alone. See the aquarium in Boston instead of Mystic. That is 4 days alone just for must sees, not to be missed and the like without (blasphemy) any caches. And if I were to put in a 5th day is would be on that magnificent spit of sand, Cape Cod. So my trip would be Newark to Mystic/Fall River/ Newport overnight at Courtyard Marriot North Side of Town. Next Day Cape Cod , early whale watch and shop P Town, Fish and Chips at the Surf Club and walk Great Island in Wellfleet, stay in Orleans and catch the Sunset from Rock Harbor. Next Day Boston--all day, Faneul Hall Marketplace, Freedom Trail, Constitution, Swan Boats in the Commons, Aquarium, Next day Cape Anne and Gloucester and on up the Maine Coast, LL Bean in Freeport, Kennebunkport, Kittery, slow meander and last day Acadia and Bar Harbor, try and get a flight out from up there. Try and get a few caches in just for the heck of it. Cape Cod has a pretty active group as the paper Cape Cod Times has featured geocaching stories several times, in fact I think it can be read on Cape Cod Times On Line. I would do a zip code search on each town mentioned and select a couple to incorporate, for instance in Newport RI there is a magnificent cliff walk--yep it has a cache--right in mansion area. Similarly Wellfleet on Cape Cod has Great Island Cache. Boston has a couple on Freedom Trail. Have fun. Edited by Packanack
The fact that you ask indicates that you may think it is. Boston is 1 day alone and that does not do it justice,. Acadia and Bar Harbor is a full day alone, sunrise on Cadilac Mtn. is one of the 1000 things to do before you shuffle off the mortal coil. Coastal Maine is a full day alone. Newport RI, Fall River Battleship Cove and Museum Mystic Seaport 1.0 days alone. See the aquarium in Boston instead of Mystic. That is 4 days alone just for must sees, not to be missed and the like without (blasphemy) any caches. And if I were to put in a 5th day is would be on that magnificent spit of sand, Cape Cod. So my trip would be Newark to Mystic/Fall River/ Newport overnight at Courtyard Marriot North Side of Town. Next Day Cape Cod , early whale watch and shop P Town, Fish and Chips at the Surf Club and walk Great Island in Wellfleet, stay in Orleans and catch the Sunset from Rock Harbor. Next Day Boston--all day, Faneul Hall Marketplace, Freedom Trail, Constitution, Swan Boats in the Commons, Aquarium, Next day Cape Anne and Gloucester and on up the Maine Coast, LL Bean in Freeport, Kennebunkport, Kittery, slow meander and last day Acadia and Bar Harbor, try and get a flight out from up there. Try and get a few caches in just for the heck of it. Cape Cod has a pretty active group as the paper Cape Cod Times has featured geocaching stories several times, in fact I think it can be read on Cape Cod Times On Line.

All good adivice. I've been to most of these places and they are worth an extended stop.

The fact that you ask indicates that you may think it is. Boston is 1 day alone and that does not do it justice,. Acadia and Bar Harbor is a full day alone, sunrise on Cadilac Mtn. is one of the 1000 things to do before you shuffle off the mortal coil. Coastal Maine is a full day alone. Newport RI, Fall River Battleship Cove and Museum Mystic Seaport 1.0 days alone. See the aquarium in Boston instead of Mystic. That is 4 days alone just for must sees, not to be missed and the like without (blasphemy) any caches. And if I were to put in a 5th day is would be on that magnificent spit of sand, Cape Cod. So my trip would be Newark to Mystic/Fall River/ Newport overnight at Courtyard Marriot North Side of Town. Next Day Cape Cod , early whale watch and shop P Town, Fish and Chips at the Surf Club and walk Great Island in Wellfleet, stay in Orleans and catch the Sunset from Rock Harbor. Next Day Boston--all day, Faneul Hall Marketplace, Freedom Trail, Constitution, Swan Boats in the Commons, Aquarium, Next day Cape Anne and Gloucester and on up the Maine Coast, LL Bean in Freeport, Kennebunkport, Kittery, slow meander and last day Acadia and Bar Harbor, try and get a flight out from up there. Try and get a few caches in just for the heck of it. Cape Cod has a pretty active group as the paper Cape Cod Times has featured geocaching stories several times, in fact I think it can be read on Cape Cod Times On Line. I would do a zip code search on each town mentioned and select a couple to incorporate, for instance in Newport RI there is a magnificent cliff walk--yep it has a cache--right in mansion area. Similarly Wellfleet on Cape Cod has Great Island Cache. Boston has a couple on Freedom Trail. Have fun.

There used to be a great haunted B&B in Newport called 'Seven Waites Wharf'. Not sure if it's still there but that's a spooky overnight.

Edited by Team Bam Bam

Packanack, I'm sure all the places you mentioned do indeed deserve more than one day to fully take them in, and I wish I had a month off to visit the East Coast, but I don't. dadgum the Lottery! Anyway, Willapa and I just want to balance the trip between caching(the reason behind the trip) and taking in the sights, food, culture etc... Even though I know we'll miss a lot of great stuff, I'm sure this will be the caching trip of a lifetime. Can't wait till may 19th!

I looked at the map/route and I know that my husband and I would never make it in 5 days if we were caching. It took us a day and a half to get from southern Md to southern Me in Oct and we only stopped at 3 caches! Of course, the weather was horrible and traffic worse. It took over an hour to get over the bridge in NYC on I95. Darn if I can remember the name. We did find a couple easy caches in Me while we visited. Enjoy your time there. Rockland is a beautiful town. We stop every time we go to Me----my husband's grandmother lives there as does several aunts and uncles. Freeport is another place that I have to stop. The shopping is terrific. Usually I spend almost a day there and spend why too much money. However, I bought candy fruit at Harry and Ben's and reused the containers as cache containers! They work great.

Terri

:( Your route looks a bit ambitious to me. We just drove from Newwark to Providence and it took about 4.5-5 hrs, depending on the city traffic you could spend an hour on the G.W. bridge in NY. From Providence to Bar Harbor is a good 5-6 hrs on rte 95 Route 1 you better add a few hours, that doesnt leave much time for sight seeing never mind hitting some quality caches. I would fly into Providence and skip NJ all together :laughing:

As you near Boston stop at The Depot (GC31DE) by Chooch. It a bit off of rt95 but it a "must do cache' there are 2 or 3 other caches in the park that you can gobble up too.

On the way back on rt80, there are a several caches in New Jersey that are worth the stop. If you block off an hour for each.Rob's Invite (GCJ4B8) by Team Divi Divi, goes up the side of Mount Tammany there's a great view of the Deleware Water Gap from here.

Alcatraz (GCMTZ4) by Tail Hound. A super fun multi. It's just off rt80 in Columbia, NJ. A little further south, you can visit Manunka Chunk Tunnels (GC82B5) by Scottmandude, for a walk through an abandoned train tunnel that was built in the 1800's Make sure you bring a flash ligh, a look for the crawfish in the the stream within the tunnel.

Even if you by pass these cache, it would be worth the trip to jump on rt46 and head down Hot Dog Johnny's in Butzville N40 50.418' W75 02.053'

Enjoy your trip!

This may be too late in the day, but if you are going through Connecticut on I-95, you may want to consider snagging one or more of the caches that are part of the "CT Solar System." At present, your first stop would be Venus not far from the NY border. The Solar System stretches along I-95 ending with Pluto on the RI border. All the caches are close to I-95. Good luck on your trip.

This may be too late in the day, but if you are going through Connecticut on I-95, you may want to consider snagging one or more of the caches that are part of the "CT Solar System." At present, your first stop would be Venus not far from the NY border. The Solar System stretches along I-95 ending with Pluto on the RI border. All the caches are close to I-95. Good luck on your trip.

I had all but two. thanks for the heads up!

Well the trip has long since come and past, but I'd thought I'd check back in. It was on for the ages. Here's some totals:

Vodkas drinken in first class: 9

Miles on rental car: 1500

States traveled: NJ,NY,CT,RI,MA,ME,NH,VT,PA

31 caches found, and at least one in every state. The East Coast was a blast. I'd go again in a heart beat.

Here I am getting grabbed by a New York City Police Officer. I'm always in trouble....

f6de734b-f1c3-4d62-a88e-051677ebd865.jpg