Is This Travel Bug Ok To Send Out?

Richness

Hile, gunslingers!

Erm, hi, geocachers!

I'm considering releasing a travel bug that pays homage to my favorite epic novel, the Dark Tower by Stephen King. For those who may not be "Tower Junkies", the central character is a gunslinger in his pursuit of a Dark Tower. The Tower, a nexus for all space and time, is under attack by evil forces. The seven books details the gunslinger's journey to Tower. I consider it an old west/American version of the epic Lord of the Rings, from which it borrows heavily.

Anyway, the travel bug that I want to release combines two of the main symbols of the book, a gun and a rose. I plan on hot gluing an artificial rose into the barrel of a toy old west revolver. If I feel really creative, I may paint a dark tower on the grip handle. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to disable the loading mechanism or not, thus preventing it from firing actual pop caps. While the barrel has a safety glow orange tip, I may also paint the entire barrel orange or red so it's less like to be mistaken for a real gun.

And that's where my dilemma lies. I personally don't like real guns, and am somewhat leery of releasing a travel bug that utilizes a toy one. Then again, these are items that any child can purchase at Wal-Mart or other retail store. Therefore, I thought I'd turn to the geocaching community forums to see what others' opinions might be. I do NOT want this to turn into a gun debate. I would, however, like to get your opinions on the appropriateness of such a travel bug as I've described it above.

Is it OK to release? Is it tasteless? Is it dangerous? Is it a cool idea? Is it a bad one? Are there any other considerations that I haven't thought of that would make this travel bug inappropriate to release?

On a side note, I also realize that this bug at first glance will probably be mistaken as an homage to a certain rock band, but that's OK. Some of their music is OK, though it's not my cup of tea overall. I'd even like to know what you think of this possible confusion.

If the general consensus is that this is a bad idea, I won't go through the trouble of making the bug and releasing it. But if the consensus is that it's OK, I will. I definitely want your comments, but please be gentle. Thanks, and "long days and pleasant nights".

Sincerely,

Rich

Hile, Richness! And may you have twice the number! (taps breastbone with fingers of left hand 3x fast) I'm currently about 100 pages into Wizard & Glass, for my 3rd trip through!

If you release the bug, I hope it makes it to my Dark Tower series in West TN (well, okay, the series that WILL be out if I ever find time to hide the 7 already prepared containers!)

Having said that, if you're talking about a real toy (oxymoron?) gun, it may be a bit too large, and a bit too fragile to be a travel bug. I would definately disable the mechanism, but more likely I'd try to find a smaller version. A long time ago, I had a keychain that was a little revolver in a holster. If you put a small applique (sp?) rose on that, I think it would make a fine TB. Just be SURE to include an instruction sheet explaining what it meant, for those for whom the world has not yet moved on (or who were left bewildered in its dust years ago!)

Whether you like guns or not, (I do) you may run into a lot of issues with people moving the bug, or more importantly, not moving it. There is no way that anyone would be able to or even want to try to take it on a plane and I would fear the anti gun commies out there might smash it or dispose of it. How bout a laminated copy of the cover of the book, or picture of said items?

Just a thought.....

I am an avid sportsman and shoot handguns all the time but, I don't think it's appropriate for geocaching. My reason: many people do this as a family (me included) and have thier young children with them, though my kids are very aware of gun safety and respect them almost as much as I, I still wouldn't expect to open a cache to find a gun sitting there(toy or not) it just seems inappropriate in these times.

my 2 cents

RI

"Inappropriate at these times"?

Looks like Al Quaeda won after all. No matter what anybody says, if you change your way of life because of something like that, they win.

With that said, make it blatently obvious that it's fake if you do go ahead and make this bug. It only takes one psycho to think it's real and make a bad name for the sport.

I agree with an above poster about toy guns maybe being a bit too fragile for this, though. How about making a mini book version of the series and send that around?

Another thing, for someone like me who's never heard of these books, you might want to explain the significance of the imagery.

I wouldn't worry about it. No matter what you send out, I am sure someone somewhere would be offended.

I think that as long as you include a little explaination as to why you chose that particular design, any person who might be offended will at least understand where you are coming from.

I am there are some people are offended by the little green army men that I have seen in caches or by the St Mary's medallion TB I recently picked up.

Send it out, and if someone is offended by it, they shouldn't pick it up and move it along.

Good Luck!

spamhead

As a military man and avid hunter, I have to say I think it is not the best choice.

Not that I think we should censor TBs, but some people are leary enough about opening up this box of goodies when others may be nearby watching. The thought that someone might see them "take a gun out of the box" might cause some serious issues with certain people.

That said, you can't please all of the people all of the time and you can't please some of the people ANY of the time.

First I love guns. I own guns. I have a permit to carry guns.

That said.. I would not suggest a gun as a TB because of the rules and regulations of many locations.

We have Parks that allow caching but not guns. Picture this if you will....

Billy gets to the cache and finds a neat gun, he laughs and slides it into his belt to carry down the hillside. As he is walking through the lovely landscape Mr smith and his family see this young man in torn up jeans with a pistol sticking out of his pants.

Mr smith is concerned so he quietly dials his cell phone. Billy continues on down the trail and is met up by Sandy the local ranger and her buddies the local police. While Billy is trying to explain it is a toy he reaches back and grabs it and thrusts it forward. Mr yoyo draws his pistol and yells 'Drop the weapon'.

We will stop the imagination at this point because I would hope it would not go that far, but now how would you like to be in Billy's shoes and have to explain that it is just a game and it is just a toy.

Now image Sally's response when she goes to explain to her boss that they just called out police on a cap gun. Where does geocaching now sit in the minds of the park rangers?

Alas, there is a time and a place for everything, but I feel caching and guns are not a required combination.

First I love guns. I own guns. I have a permit to carry guns.

That said.. I would not suggest a gun as a TB because of the rules and regulations of many locations.

Billy gets to the cache and finds a neat gun, he laughs and slides it into his belt to carry down the hillside. As he is walking through the lovely landscape Mr smith and his family see this young man in torn up jeans with a pistol sticking out of his pants.

Mr smith is concerned so he quietly dials his cell phone. Billy continues on down the trail and is met up by Sandy the local ranger and her buddies the local police. While Billy is trying to explain it is a toy he reaches back and grabs it and thrusts it forward. Mr yoyo draws his pistol and yells 'Drop the weapon'.

We will stop the imagination at this point because I would hope it would not go that far, but now how would you like to be in Billy's shoes and have to explain that it is just a game and it is just a toy.

Now image Sally's response when she goes to explain to her boss that they just called out police on a cap gun. Where does geocaching now sit in the minds of the park rangers?

Alas, there is a time and a place for everything, but I feel caching and guns are not a required combination.

ShadowAce,

That's a very good way of saying what I was refering to in a previous post. AlQueda is not something I worry myself with, It's the cops and rangers that you need to watch out for, yielding a weapon(fake or not) will get the real McCoy pointing in your face.

RI

This is well said :

.. I would not suggest a gun as a TB because of the rules and regulations of many locations.

Please Please do not release this type of TB for just these reasons. It is how it can be perceived by others. My kids would love it but but it places them and us in a possible position of danger, having nothing to do with alkada. and last I too I love guns. I own guns. I have a permit to carry guns.

But this is not a good idea.