GPS/Compass really necessary??

o2jmpr

I'm looking for someone to briefly explain to me how they use their GPS and compass in conjunction during those last few feet. I keep my North reference set to magnetic (standard etrex user) and according to my etrex, even in the thickest of foilage, I usually have a 20 ft accuracy reading. Isn't that really close enough to a cache to start eyeballing the area? I guess I just don't see what good taking a bearing from 20ft or more out is and then walking in by the compass. After all, the person who placed the cache didn't do this did they? Please enlighten me if I have the facts wrong. Any help is appreciated. Happy hunting!

When you are moving slowly or turn without moving at all the heading on a GPSr without a compass built in can be wrong because you havne't moved to show the change in your heading. my compass has kept me traveling in the right direction on numerous finds when i stop to look around and aren't exactly sure what direction i was going before i stopped.

Eeyore

It took a GPS to get me away from technology.

Sometimes in heavy cover you can't get a signal either. Standing back where you can get one, you can take a compass reading, guess at the distance, and have a decent idea where you need to be...

Women are like guns, keep one around long enough and you're going to want to shoot it.

Always a good idea just to carry your basic,stand alone compass with you when your out in unfamiliar territory. Helps you get to the cache the last couple of feet, won't die when the batteries go dead & could be real helpful getting you out of the woods after you get turned around about 50 times. icon_confused.gif And you can get an acceptable one for under $10.00.

"Gimpy"

Always a good idea just to carry your basic,stand alone compass with you when your out in unfamiliar territory. Helps you get to the cache the last couple of feet, won't die when the batteries go dead & could be real helpful getting you out of the woods after you get turned around about 50 times. icon_confused.gif And you can get an acceptable one for under $10.00.

"Gimpy"

no, if your compass determines your direction of movement by comparing your current position to your previous position(which is why you need a signal so the unit can figure your position) when you lose the signal or change direction w/o moving the compass will be useless.

but with a REAL magnetic compass you dont need to be moving to figure out which direction your going/facing.

quote:
Originally posted by Little's Cache:

So, if I had one of these GPS units with electronic compasses, go a strong signal before I went into the woods, the compass would take me in the direction I needed even if I lost my sat signal to tree cover?

I just came from a situation today that a compass sure would of been nice.

if you want to try this out to see what im talking about. get your gps go outside, turn it on and get a lock, then walk in a straight line for say 40 feet(youll need to have the compass screen displayed). you should notice the direction you are heading is the one thats pointed outward(to the top of the unit).

ok now stop,Dont move another step in any direction. take and turn the gps so instead of it poiting away from you its pointed toward you.

Did the compass change? Probly not icon_smile.gif

now take and turn it so the "top" is once again facing out, then just pivot on one foot to a new direction(lets say you turn 90 degrees to your right).

Did the compass' direction change? Probly not

if it did then you have a built in magnetic compass, if it didnt you dont, and youll have to the remember the little fact that your gps cant tell you which direction your going unless your moving. (and also you wont know which way the cache is unless your moving) icon_eek.gif

whack.gif

no, if your compass determines your direction of movement by comparing your current position to your previous position(which is why you need a signal so the unit can figure your position) when you lose the signal or change direction w/o moving the compass will be useless.

but with a REAL magnetic compass you dont need to be moving to figure out which direction your going/facing.

quote:
Originally posted by Little's Cache:

So, if I had one of these GPS units with electronic compasses, go a strong signal before I went into the woods, the compass would take me in the direction I needed even if I lost my sat signal to tree cover?

I just came from a situation today that a compass sure would of been nice.

if you want to try this out to see what im talking about. get your gps go outside, turn it on and get a lock, then walk in a straight line for say 40 feet(youll need to have the compass screen displayed). you should notice the direction you are heading is the one thats pointed outward(to the top of the unit).

ok now stop,Dont move another step in any direction. take and turn the gps so instead of it poiting away from you its pointed toward you.

Did the compass change? Probly not icon_smile.gif

now take and turn it so the "top" is once again facing out, then just pivot on one foot to a new direction(lets say you turn 90 degrees to your right).

Did the compass' direction change? Probly not

if it did then you have a built in magnetic compass, if it didnt you dont, and youll have to the remember the little fact that your gps cant tell you which direction your going unless your moving. (and also you wont know which way the cache is unless your moving) icon_eek.gif

whack.gif

Today having the compass in the pack saved my but. I was busy following the GPS and got turned around by the time I found the cache. GPS was having a heck of a time and eventually lost it's lock. Luckily I was able to whip out the compass and start heading in the general direction of the car. If I hadn't had the compass when the gps went on the fritz I'd have been wondering around for a while.

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

Actually, the compass is nothing more than a backup pointer. When the GPS won't point (moving too slowly, too much tree cover, building, etc.) the compas isn't fooled and will still let you follow your track.

Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers. - Socrates