Explorist 600 Shipping

Dang it, my tigergps order still says "on hold". :( Plus, I paid for the cheapo shipping so I might not get it for 7 days from when they ship it. What was I thinking. Oh yeah, I was thinking that for 7 days, I could still used one of the other 7 GPSs I own...

--Marky

Tried to snap a few photos but the screen was so bright they were not very viewable. Have uploaded my hides and other geocaches into the system as well as direct route. So far, I can't complain about anything I have seen. Love seeing the cache symbols showing up on the map.

Jamie, get the owner's manual for the ex300 and you will have a good deal of the content for the 600 (minus the battery and geocaching info).

The manual has diagrams and explanations of the screens. The four screens are the most functional ones (does anyone really use the silly picture of the road?) and many of the data fields are customizable.

Here's the link for the 300 manual:

http://www.magellangps.com/assets/manuals/...t300_Manual.pdf

The manual has diagrams and explanations of the screens. The four screens are the most functional ones (does anyone really use the silly picture of the road?) and many of the data fields are customizable.

I hadn't thought of using the 300 manual to see the screens. Thanks!

Just as I thought... I'm disappointed that Magellan thought the 6-data field screen wasn't worth keeping. I was hoping they'd fix it so it would hold 8 fields.

The choice of data which can be displayed is less than the Meridian, too. Why didn't they at least match the performance of the Meridian? Grr.

This is where I echo the comments by someone else that Magellan hire someone like RobertLipe to help them.

The Explorist has so many great new features, but they seemed to have dropped the ball by missing some other fairly easily implemented software features.

Jamie

The choice of data which can be displayed is less than the Meridian, too. Why didn't they at least match the performance of the Meridian? Grr.
They didn't even get this right between the Meridian. I can't remember if the dividing line is "real compass" or "meridian vs. 330/ST" but the "compass" screen on my 330 and ST displays four customizable fields while my Plat has only two.

This is where I echo the comments by someone else that Magellan hire someone like RobertLipe to help them.
I don't know. Apparently the consultant market for folks that have read (and answered) thousands of tech support questions and feature requests, developed s/w used by > 100,000 users, and carried the companies products on thousands of hunts is crowded. :laughing:

(But thanx for the kind words.)

The Explorist has so many great new features, but they seemed to have dropped the ball by missing some other fairly easily implemented software features.

I have high hopes, but the early comments here aren't filling me with confidence that I'm going to be wowed. I remember the early days of the 330 when updates came regularly and each successive version added features like the very screens currently being mourned.

Unfortunately, I think that "growth" is a big part of what lead to the decreased coherence of the menu trees and reduced stability over time.

I ordered an eXplorist 600 in mid Jan 05, but still do not have it. I bought a eXplorist 300 to learn on.

Today I saw a eXplorist 600 for sale at Outdoor World in south Orlando, FL. It cost $449 which is retail I think. It was all black.

I was in a hurry and did not hold it. They have had it a few days.

I hope that means mine will be shipped soon.