Picture Requirement?

gridlox

Reading Teamk-9's post about using pictures to guide you on a multi and another idea I have been considering, gave me an combined idea for a cache hide.

Create a multi/puzzle/virtual that will take you through a certain historic district where you will find waypoints with the answers to decode the co-ords to the final cache.

What you as the hunter would have to do would be to take the cache page printout with you that will provide you with abstract drawings of the waypoints where you will get your answers to the puzzle part of the hunt. (**See pic below)

Then while at the waypoint, you will need to take a picture of the actual waypoint pictured in the abstract drawing.

After finishing the hunt and finding the cache, you will log the find on the cache page, where you will be required to upload the pictures of the waypoints to recieve credit for the hide. (Probably only about 6)

**On the left would be the image that is on the cache page. The one on the right is an example of a submitted photo that is required to get your Smiley.

marker.jpg

Would this be a viable hunt?

D-man :laughing:

I'm not sure why you would require the photos. Ideally, each site should have some piece of the final coordinates such as part of a building address or a number on the sign or in the business window.

This concept might not work well for PDA caching. I haven't found out how to get cache page photos to show on my PDA and that has eliminated several caches from my out of town searches.

I'm not sure why you would require the photos

Seriously, I'm not being a smart a** here, but... Just because I can. (or hope I can :laughing: )

Just to add a little twist to the puzzle and add an additional requirement that is possible with anyone with a camera. With the proliferaton of digital cameras nowadays, it would make it easier.

Just to be creative in someway to make the hunt standout from the others.

Ideally, each site should have some piece of the final coordinates such as part of a building address or a number on the sign or in the business window.

Variations here are numerous!! Simple add, subtract, divide, & multiply opens up a world of options.

Doesn't have to neccessarily be a number. It can be a word or phrase. count the number of letters, how many times does a word appear on a marker, A=1 - B=2 - on & on,

Deception with numbers would be fun!

The missing number in the co-ord isn't the number listed on the waypoint, but the sum of the letters in the number. Which in turn is all dependant on the key to decipher the numbers. Does 6 = 7? If you use the A=1 B=2 ... method and then add the sum of the numbers of the two digit number, it does! :ph34r:

Or 6 = 3? Add the number of letters in the actual word, and it also does.

Using "simple" math gives you unlimited variations! It's endless!

This concept might not work well for PDA caching. I haven't found out how to get cache page photos to show on my PDA and that has eliminated several caches from my out of town searches.

This is something that I didn't know. :rolleyes:

And definately something to consider, seeing that so many cachers are going paperless.

I have seen articles on website building sites that cover creating website with PDAs in mind, but I didn't realize that they had to be all text! <_<

Interesting?

Have to check into that. :unsure:

D-man :)

Edited by gridlox

I use a PDA and the software I use to download the cache page info. does not have an option for downloading associated photos. It just imports text.

That being said, I like the idea of incorporating the abstract photos into the hunt. Maybe as a clue for a waypoint for a multi cache or an offset cache?

I cache paperless and occasionally print pages for caches that have pictures or puzzles. I work around any paperless problems.

I'm unfamiliar with PDA's.

So, do they not have graphics, but only just text? :laughing:

Standard GPX software doesn't do photo's uniless you have a net link. There is now a program out there to download spoiler photos. However it's not in common usage yet.

Edited by Renegade Knight