Trimble Sponsorship

Am I missing something? Trimble's sponsorship is fantastic and I am glad to see it, but to my knowledge they don't have a line of geocaching GPSrs do they?

I certainly hope I am wrong and they either do or soon will, as they have a super reputation for commercial gear!

Trimble owns Magellan, so yes, they have a line of GPSrs for geocaching

I've used my work GPSr (Trimble GeoExplorer 3) for a cache or 2...of course on lunch or break :( BTW it cost about $4,500.00 :ph34r:

My regular GPSr is a Garmin 76S...with the topo maps loaded is more user friendly for geocaching purposes. BTW it cost about $450.00 w/maps :huh:

I think Trimble Outdoors is the company that's sponsoring geocaching. They're actually a division of Trimble, I think. And Trimble makes the really good, industrial/research grade GPS units.

Trimble Outdoors:

"Trimble Outdoors is a family of software applications for PCs and Nextel cell phones allowing you to get maps, plan trips, navigate routes and share your adventures with friends and family."

I've used my work GPSr (Trimble GeoExplorer 3) for a cache or 2...of course on lunch or break ;) BTW it cost about $4,500.00 :huh:

My regular GPSr is a Garmin 76S...with the topo maps loaded is more user friendly for geocaching purposes. BTW it cost about $450.00 w/maps :P

I'm assuming the pricey gps is a job perk? (are they hiring at your place of employment??? Professional Geocacher for hire!)

Bet that find didn't take long!!!

I've used my work GPSr (Trimble GeoExplorer 3) for a cache or 2...of course on lunch or break  :blink:  BTW it cost about $4,500.00  :blink:

My regular GPSr is a Garmin 76S...with the topo maps loaded is more user friendly for geocaching purposes.  BTW it cost about $450.00 w/maps  :(

I'm assuming the pricey gps is a job perk? (are they hiring at your place of employment??? Professional Geocacher for hire!)

Bet that find didn't take long!!!

The amount of error in the Trimble unit is less than my Garmin....but there are a few things that make the Trimble unit not that 'caching friendly:

(1) Lack of background maps

(2) In order to get the higher accuracy needed for work the PDOP is set to reject "bad" reception...leads to a lot of "Bad Geometry" and Loss of Signal

(3) Weight

(4) $$$$$'s

and There is a the "error" of the cache placer's GPSr to be considered as well.

All that said, I was able to seriously pin down the couple of caches did while I was errr, hummmm, errrr on break :o

I found a micro on Sat. that was the size of a vitamin tablet. There was a tiny scrap of paper inside with the coordinates to the next stage. To add to the evilness it was magnetic too.

I can't imagine anything much smaller being found without a serious hint or a lot of luck.

And to stay on topic...the newer Trimbles we have at work do support maps and even the airphotos downloaded to them. Makes getting around pretty easy.

Trimble Outdoors has 3 GPS related items for a general user -

1 - GPS software for the Nextel phones

2 - PC Planner software for mapping out a Trip,

or importing cache locations

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/cito_geocaching.aspx

3 - Website for posting Trips and Search Trips

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com

Of course, the GPS software, the Trip Planner software,

and the Web Trip sharing are all purchased/bundled items.

Here's a sample Trip of a couple of local caches.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/TripViewFra...asp?TripID=2021

Trimble Outdoors is offering the PC desktop Planner for 90 days.

You can also visit the forums, if you have any questions...

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/forums/default.asp